Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, like the title says. I would like to hear other members thoughts on whether our TD hobby is dying? I never see any on the road in the northern WV, Pittsburgh, PA area. Also, when I visit this website I see many posts with zero replies, even when asking for help/guidance. I am 54 y.o. and have been playing with these cars for about 25 years but it might be time to move on. The younger generations are into the "tuner car" scene and with the current high performance musclecars available our cars are being forgotten.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would hope it is not dying but I echo your sentiments. Here in Ontario we have been plagued with bi yearly emissions testing and add to the carnage that our highways cause in the winter with salt and brine solutions many a unit seems to have gone by the wayside from rusted floor pans and framing members. I myself will be trying to get my 83 Rampage back on the road but it is a long arduous task. I tend to not answer questions as I do not have the expertise and source books to do so. I know that Naj answers almost everyday when someone is in trouble as do a few others. We are I think a minority for sure playing with 30+ year old vehicles, and parts are getting harder to find and I am sure that is also a factor.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a couple rustfree cars that I just don't have the time to work on and may be putting 25 years of accumulated stuff up for sale. They are a lot of fun for not much money.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Hey John,
IMO, It is dying a slow death. Each day there are less and less TD on the road, and obviously not making any more of them. Lot less activity on the two main forums primarily because of FB I'm afraid. I have NO time or desire to "do" FB.
With that said, even muscle cars are very slowly going the way of the Dodo bird. Street rods and model A's & T's have WAY more inventory than buyers looking for them. Next up to take a big hit in value is muscle cars. Their value has already started taking a hit. It's not helping when many new performance cars can out perform almost all HP muscle cars ever produced.
Personally, I've grown tired of chasin my tail with too many cars that constantly need attention. Trying to get parts to keep these cars on the road isn't getting any easier either. As a result, I've been slowly trimming cars for the past decade.
I saw on your signature line that you have 2 unusual GLHT color combos. Silver w/red and Black w/tan is unusual. Now you just need that Red w/tan or slightly more common the Red w/gray to complete the collection.
Hang in there John, maybe trim the herd a little...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hey John,
IMO, It is dying a slow death. Each day there are less and less TD on the road, and obviously not making any more of them. Lot less activity on the two main forums primarily because of FB I'm afraid. I have NO time or desire to "do" FB.
With that said, even muscle cars are very slowly going the way of the Dodo bird. Street rods and model A's & T's have WAY more inventory than buyers looking for them. Next up to take a big hit in value is muscle cars. Their value has already started taking a hit. It's not helping when many new performance cars can out perform almost all HP muscle cars ever produced.
Personally, I've grown tired of chasin my tail with too many cars that constantly need attention. Trying to get parts to keep these cars on the road isn't getting any easier either. As a result, I've been slowly trimming cars for the past decade.
I saw on your signature line that you have 2 unusual GLHT color combos. Silver w/red and Black w/tan is unusual. Now you just need that Red w/tan or slightly more common the Red w/gray to complete the collection.
Hang in there John, maybe trim the herd a little...
I wasn't sure if you were still in the hobby. I still have a set of 86 GLHS rims I bought from you years ago. I think the 2 perfect spares came from you also.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are still a lot of people out there that know about our cars. About 3 years ago my wife and I took a roadtrip to Alabama (from WV) to buy a rustfree black 86 GLH-T. I drove the car home and along the way I got many thumbsup from other drivers. It's just that no one wants to mess with them.

·
Registered
67 Posts
There are still a lot of people out there that know about our cars. About 3 years ago my wife and I took a roadtrip to Alabama (from WV) to buy a rustfree black 86 GLH-T. I drove the car home and along the way I got many thumbsup from other drivers. It's just that no one wants to mess with them.
I have to admit, I bought my '86 GLHT 3 years ago. I felt that I paid way too much for it (I honestly thought it was a GLHS). It was a newly listed "buy it now" car and I "bought it then" LOL. It looks great. Unfortunately, I was working 60-70 hours a week. It sat under a car cover for TWO YEARS. I only drove it one time. I have no regrets but I do wish I would have overcome my frustration sooner. Then one day a good Mopar friend of 40+ years stopped by. He worked at the Dodge dealership when these cars were new. We popped the hood on this car and instantly he noticed that the distributor was not installed correctly, that is partly why it didn't run right + it had been converted to a turbo II but they were using an '86 MP computer. I have been sorting out some other issues and rebuilding the front suspension. The floor pans need a little work, nothing major. Slowly but surely...

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I actually stopped messing with TDs in 2013. At that point, and at 27yrs old, I had owned 4 GLHs, 1 SC, a CSX, CSX-T, and 5 Daytona's(Z-CS, Z, VNT, ES and a base), plus 3 neon R/Ts.

I got into older iron and went through a string of cars, '64 Dart, '70 Swinger, '72 Dart, '76 Demon clone, '50 Plymouth, '51 Plymouth, '53 Plymouth, and my '77 D100. Out of all of those I just have my '64 Dart and my '77 D100 left.

About two years ago I started craving another GLH. I was wanting the nimble, zippy go-kart experience again. So I bought a roller SantaFe GLH-T off of the forums. It sat for about a year and a half as I started collecting parts. Then one day a red GLH-T popped up a couple hours away. It was shiny and complete, so I payed way too much for it. By the time I drive it home I realized it needed a little work, but was undeterred. A few weeks later it had developed a plethora of problems. I ended up dumping a lot of parts at it and another $1000! Now it's basically all GLHS converted, but with a S60 turbo, 3" exhaust and a MP Stage 2 LM. At 15psi it really hauls! Spins through the first two gears, makes all the right sounds, and as a ball on a back road.

However, it still needs brake work, new shocks/struts, tires are dry, axles need boots, the A525 is noisy, the fuel tank has been swapped for a non baffled unit, water gets in the car every time it rains, there's some bubbling in the paint, the side mirror broke, only one speaker works, headliner is junk as is the carpet, pans were patched by Ray Charles, short block leaks, and it averages about 19mpg.

So overall, keeping the GLH doesn't make sense, but it still sits in my driveway. Tagged and insured. Maybe it would be easier to be a TD owner if I made more money, or had a large garage to park it in, but it's not easy as a working class family man.

I think there will always be a group of diehards, who still drive TDs. Though I'm pretty sure it requires you to be crazy, or at the least, a little illogical...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I hope not, I just got into these Turbo Dodges around 8 years ago . Being a brand ( MOPAR ) loyal car guy since before I started driving in 1981 . These cars were new when I was driving 340 Darts n Dusters that no one else seemed to want at that time. now I have quite a few of the Daytona , Shelby Chargers, Rampage , ect. Still buying them . not sure whether they will ever be worth what I have invested !!!! But I have a blast every time I drive one of them . Wish I had gotten into them when parts were more available . I am always trying to get friends into them , ( with no luck ) but everyone remembers them , !!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
11,682 Posts
I'd have to say most of the one time owner types have probably been / done and gone on to other things
those that remain now , on both sites are likely the truly dedicated to the TD/TM hobby and most likely were into it long before we all had internet

been 31 years since I bought the first one of mine and four years ago I think I bought my last one
<<<
I don't think I'll be needing to replace it anytime soon ... not rusty

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well, like the title says. I would like to hear other members thoughts on whether our TD hobby is dying? I never see any on the road in the northern WV, Pittsburgh, PA area. Also, when I visit this website I see many posts with zero replies, even when asking for help/guidance. I am 54 y.o. and have been playing with these cars for about 25 years but it might be time to move on. The younger generations are into the "tuner car" scene and with the current high performance musclecars available our cars are being forgotten.
If you were around Pittsburgh a bit, you might see me and my '89 LeBaron GTC T2. There are VERY few TDs in this area of the country. It's possible they were not sold as strongly here, but the rust has also gotten them from road salt. I went to a Mopar Cars & Coffee a few weeks ago, and most everyone is into the new stuff - Chargers & Challengers - and there were no other TDs there. I picked mine up in Wisconsin because nothing could be found around here. Seems like there are a lot of these cars in that general area. I think they sold a bunch there because there was a plant in the area. Activity on the forums is suffering because of FB. So, basically there are a bunch of reasons for what you are seeing, but the reality of it is that there are very few places/people left in my area to work on these cars. If anyone knows of someone in the Pittsburgh area, let me know.

·
Administrator
3,966 Posts
I do not think the TD hobby is dying, rather evolving;

1. Forum activity is low due to social media groups, ie. Facebook groups, as being the preferred means of communication for many people, many of those people who use to frequent the forum. Activity on the several Facebook groups is very high. Even I have a local Facebook group I started in April 2019 that surged to 55 members today which surprised me, before then I knew of less than 10 local people into this hobby, as I am on the east coast of Canada where these cars fell apart from harsh winters and loads of salt.

2. These cars are less common now, unlike the 90's and 2000's. Some people liked them because they were abundant, but once they were not these people moved on. Many people into this hobby are now into preserving these cars as antique/classics, rather than daily drivers, which naturally brings less people because of simple lack of abundance.

3. Values have gone up, especially for the Shelby numbered cars, they are getting less affordable to buy if you don't already have one.

That said, I believe this and the other forums still hold an importance in the hobby, for many it's an encyclopedia of knowledge, for others it's a place for conversation and questions on the quieter side of things. Facebook groups bring needless drama sometimes, that use to happen on the forums.

·
Administrator
24,114 Posts
For me it is not a hobby...
I bought my Daytona new in 12/89 and she has been and still is my only car and daily driver since 1997.

She has lived outside for 30 years and I have to keep her running properly and do my best to keep her from falling apart or rusting away.

Now that I am retired there will probably not be any new cars for me in the future so my TD will be with me to the end... (Knock On Wood), (From My Lips To Gods Ears)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you were around Pittsburgh a bit, you might see me and my '89 LeBaron GTC T2. There are VERY few TDs in this area of the country. It's possible they were not sold as strongly here, but the rust has also gotten them from road salt. I went to a Mopar Cars & Coffee a few weeks ago, and most everyone is into the new stuff - Chargers & Challengers - and there were no other TDs there. I picked mine up in Wisconsin because nothing could be found around here. Seems like there are a lot of these cars in that general area. I think they sold a bunch there because there was a plant in the area. Activity on the forums is suffering because of FB. So, basically there are a bunch of reasons for what you are seeing, but the reality of it is that there are very few places/people left in my area to work on these cars. If anyone knows of someone in the Pittsburgh area, let me know.
I live in Weirton, WV but I work at the Pittsburgh airport.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It may also be a lot of shelved projects. Between hours worked, life, etc.
It's taken me 5+ years to get to the point of just putting the engine back in my car. . .
What I have noticed is in that period of time parts have gotten way more scarce.

I think this may be a transition point for the cars as well - I don't see many 80's Dodges around town that are people I don't know. But by the same token, that goes for 80's Fords, Chevrolets, etc. They seem to be at the point where they are no longer everyday drivers and a weekend / car show vehicle.

As for the hobby as a whole, I think it is dying - younger people aren't interested in a car for anything much more than an appliance.

Unrelated to the topic, phone use is an interesting observation. We have a 20 year old at work now that doesn't know how to use a regular computer for tasks, but can use a phone with no problem. He can't even use hotkeys. . .

·
Administrator
24,114 Posts
younger people aren't interested in a car for anything much more than an appliance.
That is not necessarily true, my 22 year old Grandson is interested in cars and going fast although he knows almost nothing about them.

When he was in the Marines he hooked up with a speed shop in N.C. that built him a Nissan 300 ZX (they had some sort of sponsorship deal) and he took it to the track here in N.J., the car had so much HP the clutch could not handle it, slipped badly and the clutch disc welded itself to the flywheel.
The shop in N.C. shipped him a higher HP Clutch/Flywheel set for free to get the car back running.

He blames my Son and I for taking him to the track with us when he was younger.

Now he has big dreams of wanting to restore my Sisters old 89 Trans Am which has been sitting for over 10 years.

1D-89 Trans Am 3-11.jpg

·
Registered
530 Posts
As for the hobby as a whole, I think it is dying - younger people aren't interested in a car for anything much more than an appliance.
I'm in the same method of thought

My 20 year old son want's nothing to do with cars. He doesn't even want his license. My 30 year old SIL refuses to get one also

My 21 year old nephew looks at it for transportation and has me or a shop do anything to the car

1 - 20 of 31 Posts