Turbo Dodge Forums banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
For me it is not a hobby...
I bought my Daytona new in 12/89 and she has been and still is my only car and daily driver since 1997.

She has lived outside for 30 years and I have to keep her running properly and do my best to keep her from falling apart or rusting away.

Now that I am retired there will probably not be any new cars for me in the future so my TD will be with me to the end... (Knock On Wood), (From My Lips To Gods Ears)
Turbo 89 Caravan still my daily/only at 193,000. I keep eyeballing an Lexus RX for when the van dies (so I can reject a different class of women).

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Recommended music to read by: Pulse Power by Dynatron.

I grew up in a 1987 Voyager. My sister's first car was an '81 TC3. My wife and I don't own any cars newer than 1991 and that's what we daily drive. FWD Chrysler TBI and turbo cars.

For the past four years I have been doing my best to bridge the gap between the phone savvy younger crowd and the tech illiterate old timers. With Nate Harris's help I have taken the torch that STLShelbyZ (John Stephens) carried trying to create a real local turbo Dodge club in the St. Louis area, and held it higher than ever before. John had to blend into an all brands car club because it's so difficult to drag many TD enthusiasts out of the woodwork, but we have now built something from the ground up. A free car club for local guys because most of us are too cheap to ever pay dues for something. A car club that specializes in supporting 1978-1995 FWD Chrysler products and any vehicles using the Trans4 engine platform. Activities are regular. Camaraderie is abundant.

When I see people trying to sell a car because of a problem, I go and fix it, and try my best to get the owner to keep it. The St. Louis Turbo Mopar Club is alive and well, and I will carry the whole thing on my shoulders to keep it that way. I would like to thank v8sr4u (The Johnson family from Cape Girardeau), and Karl Bonfiglio "K-car Karl" for helping to make everything possible, and I would like to thank everyone here at Turbo Dodge Forums for helping to give me the inspiration to drag myself and this hobby into the future any way that I can. Especially Shadow (Rob McLellan) who I hope to see doing some more inspirational writing here in the future. It is apparent that some folks are losing the drive to keep on going with TDs and need some good stories to pick up their spirits.

Is the hobby dying? NO! Is there now a bigger disconnection than ever before even though Facebook is supposed to"connect people"? YES!

Now if I can just get Bill Lambros to come out of hiding, the STL turbo Dodge experience will be complete.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I would like to thank v8sr4u (The Johnson family from Cape Girardeau), and Karl Bonfiglio "K-car Karl" for helping to make everything possible
You're welcome! St Louis isn't the closest thing to me (four hours and some change) but it's always fun to come down there. Plus it's your damn fault I have all these old junkboxes again anyway! I was FREE and now I have too many hahahaha.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Unless you live in parts of the country that road salt is not needed, you won't find too many of these cars being used as daily drivers. These cars are now over, or near, 30 years old. Just like cars from the '60s and '70s, if someone has a nice one, they won't be using it as a daily driver. My son gets plenty of compliments on his '87 GTS and it runs and drives beautifully. A great road trip car. My son got into Mopars because that is what I'm into. I worked at a Chrysler / Plymouth dealer in '84-'85 when these cars were new. I knew how much fun they were to drive. I still left the decision up to him because it was going to be his car. He is my son so of course he was excited to get a 32 year old Chrysler as his first car. I think I'm as thrilled as he is with that GTS. These cars are still out there. If you live where there is snow & road salt they won't be as abundant. Just like any other older model car. 89BaronGTC, what part of Pittsburgh are you from? PM me, I may be able to help you find a repair shop with guys who know and appreciate our beloved turbo FWD rides.

·
Registered
51 Posts
89BaronGTC, what part of Pittsburgh are you from? PM me, I may be able to help you find a repair shop with guys who know and appreciate our beloved turbo FWD rides.
I am in the North Hills of Pittsburgh. Always eager to hear ideas for turbo Mopar mechanics in this area! I'll send you a PM. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I've been into these cars for 20 years, and I do think their popularity is decreasing. 20 years ago they were plentiful and cheap and fun. they are still fun, but not as plentiful and prices are going up. Added to this is the fact that 20 years ago 200 hp in a 4 cylinder was fast but in this time and age 200 hp in a 4 cylinder is fairly common. I also think the newer generation is looking for experiences and not really interested in owning/maintaining things. Hence why so many of the new generation don't even have driver's licenses -it's easier to get an Uber. I'm sure there will always be a group interested in these cars, but their popularity will continue to decline (but at a much slower rate).

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
When I was 8 years old (1998), my great grandfather had a 1987 Daytona Pacifica. I remember thinking how cool it was when he would take the t-tops off. Once I was able to get a job and afford a car, I bought an 89 Daytona Shelby in 2006 and have been addicted ever since. Currently own my 6th Spirit R/T :thumb:

·
Administrator
3,974 Posts
In my area (Nova Scotia, Canada) I don't think the hobby of cars is dead with the young folks (that said, i'm 33, am I still a young folk??). But it is much, much different.

I attended a local car club carshow of 150+ I had been following and I was very much an odd ball to the carshow. The majority of the cars, owned by people younger than me for the most part, was high end 0-10yo Audi's, Lexus, Maserati, Porsche, Ferrari, Tesla, Lamborghini and even one McLaren, with some lowly Mustang GT, Corvette Z01, Civic SI Turbos, R34 Skylines in the mix. Most lowered, decked to the hills with biggest brakes, wraps, candy paint jobs you can buy.

How the hell they get money for that? I'm in the wrong line of work and generation apparently. I'm getting to opinionated now.

Meanwhile i'm rocking my junkyard parts built and restored in a shack (and proud) 89 Daytona Shelby. Shelby is a Ford right?

What i'm getting at is it seems built not bought is dying, to make way for bought not built. Which is fine I guess, people do what they want to do, and many are forced into this, as working on common cars is getting increasingly difficult to a DIY'er that isn't an ambitious stubborn goat.

Tuner cars are still ever popular, fart can and bling rimmed rusty economy cars, the heart of car culture (serious, think about it)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Unfortunately another reason why this hobby seems to be on the decline- time. People who were doing this stuff back in the 80's were in their 30's or 40's back then which puts their age between 60 -70 + years old. Age is catching up with the people as much as its catching up with the cars.

Facebook has made a positive impact as most people are on it. Anyone who comes across one of these cars will most likely search about it on facebook, weather it be information or to sell. I do see a lot of these cars pop up for sale on the marketplace, i see lots of fairly clean cars that only need minor work to get roadworthy again. A lot of those will be stuff that someone has had sitting behind the barn or garage or whatever, you used to not really see a lot of that stuff as people would just scrap them instead of messing around with placing an ad on craigslist, now they can just snap a few pics with their phone and wait for replies that they will get almost immediately on thier phone vs having to log in, check emails or put your personal phone number out there.

I also frequently see new owners pop up on the facebook groups.

Its not dying, the way people connect is evolving away from the forums. I expect the forums to stick around but will be more like a technical resource than a platform for people to connect on.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm 21 and I am crazy over GLH Omnis, in fact the Shelby Omni GLHS is the car that I'm hoping to get someday (if I can manage to find one since they made only 500 of them). I am not most 20 year olds, I look at TD cars as way more than some grocery getter I see them as a passion and a hobby just like the rest of you guys. I have actually done bodywork on my dad's 84 Dodge Aries and I loved it, I love doing bodywork and I love getting dirty while doing it!!

Most people my age don't know how to do bodywork or even work a sander, I did it this past summer and I take pride in that. All they care about is shopping and surfing Instagram. My dad is showing me the basics and I look forward to it. In fact my first car is an 86 Plymouth Horizon and me and my dad are chomping at the bit to restore it into a near identical copy of a GLH, we won't be sticking the 2.2 turbo on it since I'm 21 and don't have nearly as much experience as you guys but maybe in 10 or 15 years we might look into it but we'll see. My Horizon is gonna look like a GLH but it's gonna keep the 2.5 liter fuel injected engine that came out of an 89 Dodge Aries that my dad stuck on it, gets way better gas mileage than it did with the carb and makes way less pollution :) We also got a 64 Plymouth Valiant station wagon that we are hoping to pull out of his garage someday.

I used to be a tuner fan too but a few years ago a close friend of mine took me out for a ride in his 58 Impala that he modified a bunch and that cured me from my obsession with Japanese riceburners. I am not afraid to admit that I used to be in love with the Nissan Skyline GTR R34 but I don't care about it anymore because it's a pain in the butt to import from Japan and it has to go customs in order to get to America and become federally certified. I am now in love with Mopar muscle and it's all thanks to my dad.

·
Administrator
24,186 Posts
I'm 21 and I am crazy over GLH Omnis, in fact the Shelby Omni GLHS is the car that I'm hoping to get someday (if I can manage to find one since they made only 500 of them). I am not most 20 year olds, I look at TD cars as way more than some grocery getter I see them as a passion and a hobby just like the rest of you guys. I have actually done bodywork on my dad's 84 Dodge Aries and I loved it, I love doing bodywork and I love getting dirty while doing it!!

Most people my age don't know how to do bodywork or even work a sander, I did it this past summer and I take pride in that. All they care about is shopping and surfing Instagram. My dad is showing me the basics and I look forward to it. In fact my first car is an 86 Plymouth Horizon and me and my dad are chomping at the bit to restore it into a near identical copy of a GLH, we won't be sticking the 2.2 turbo on it since I'm 21 and don't have nearly as much experience as you guys but maybe in 10 or 15 years we might look into it but we'll see. My Horizon is gonna look like a GLH but it's gonna keep the 2.5 liter fuel injected engine that came out of an 89 Dodge Aries that my dad stuck on it, gets way better gas mileage than it did with the carb and makes way less pollution :) We also got a 64 Plymouth Valiant station wagon that we are hoping to pull out of his garage someday.

I used to be a tuner fan too but a few years ago a close friend of mine took me out for a ride in his 58 Impala that he modified a bunch and that cured me from my obsession with Japanese riceburners. I am not afraid to admit that I used to be in love with the Nissan Skyline GTR R34 but I don't care about it anymore because it's a pain in the butt to import from Japan and it has to go customs in order to get to America and become federally certified. I am now in love with Mopar muscle and it's all thanks to my dad.
Welcome To TD!!!
Always nice to see young folks getting involved with our FWD Mopars,one day you may be the elder statesman on this site.
ENJOY!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Welcome To TD!!!
Always nice to see young folks getting involved with our FWD Mopars,one day you may be the elder statesman on this site.
ENJOY!!!
Thanks bro!! I actually considered importing the Skyline but I changed my mind because it's a grey market car and it wasn't designed for the American market anyway. Don't bother importing a car from Japan, huge waste of time and money and no guarantee that it'll get through USCBP.

But yeah, my fake GLH Omni is gonna be my first car. Unfortunately it's cold right now and I can't do anything about the painting right now :( My dad is gonna help me change the front hubs on my Omni and the painting will have to wait until May. I got a photo of what it's supposed to look like after restoration if you are interested.

·
Administrator
24,186 Posts
Looks nice to me but for "real" constructive criticism you will have to wait for the L-Body enthusiasts to chime in.

The only thing I personally would change if I were restoring this car is the wheels, I would prefer OE.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Looks nice to me but for "real" constructive criticism you will have to wait for the L-Body enthusiasts to chime in.

The only thing I personally would change if I were restoring this car is the wheels, I would prefer OE.
I know, this is just a rough idea of what it'll look like. This is to give an idea of what to expect. The rims are gonna be from a Dodge Neon SXT (7 spokes) and the stripe is gonna be from a Shelby Charger. Other than that pretty much like this.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Unfortunately another reason why this hobby seems to be on the decline- time. People who were doing this stuff back in the 80's were in their 30's or 40's back then which puts their age between 60 -70 + years old. Age is catching up with the people as much as its catching up with the cars.

Facebook has made a positive impact as most people are on it. Anyone who comes across one of these cars will most likely search about it on facebook, weather it be information or to sell. I do see a lot of these cars pop up for sale on the marketplace, i see lots of fairly clean cars that only need minor work to get roadworthy again. A lot of those will be stuff that someone has had sitting behind the barn or garage or whatever, you used to not really see a lot of that stuff as people would just scrap them instead of messing around with placing an ad on craigslist, now they can just snap a few pics with their phone and wait for replies that they will get almost immediately on thier phone vs having to log in, check emails or put your personal phone number out there.

I also frequently see new owners pop up on the facebook groups.

Its not dying, the way people connect is evolving away from the forums. I expect the forums to stick around but will be more like a technical resource than a platform for people to connect on.
Pushing 61 and have owned 5 TD cars, an '86 Lebaron GTS, and '85 Lebaron GTS, An '84 Daytona and an '86 Daytona Shelby Z. I currently am working on a '86 GLHT. Love these little hot rods.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Team,
Really enjoyed reading this post and your comments since you all raise excellent points. As I reflect I remember a time in 1985 when I bought a 1972 Satellite Sebring Plus with no engine and a 4-speed for $1,000! I rebuilt the car with a 440 and it was ready to drive by 1987. I worked 3-11pm every night after school and saved for every part I needed. During that time I also found a 1986 Plymouth Laser XE with a digital dash, 5-speed, and a turbo 1 motor out in a farmers field. I found the owner and bought the car for $500... the timing belt was shredded and some of the back interior was missing (something to do with the car being involved in drug running...) but I fixed up that car and between myself, my Dad, and even my sister we logged over 300,000 miles on that car.

That Satellite and Laser were the beginnings of a passion and hobby that has led to me owning 100s of Mopars to include a 426 stroker 6-speed convertible 2010 SRT Challenger, 2-3x 2007 SRT8 Jeeps, 2-3x 2011-19 SRT Jeeps to include a Trackhawk, 2-3 SRT10s, 2x 6-speed Challenger Hellcats, 8-10x Daytonas, and even a very rare 69 RT/SE track pac 440 4-speed Charger!!

I say all this to say... in 1985 no one gave a hoot about 1972 Satellites or even 1969 Chargers, but now these are revered and big dollar cars. We have passed through a long dark period with these turbo Dodges and yes they may lack some of the lure to the die hard V8 RWD muscle car fans, but... one I'm working hard to make that an option (see RWD conversion posts), two the support and following I've witnessed over these cars for the last 30 years is impressive so don't quit when the finish line is ahead, three everything goes in cycles; some generations may not be into cars, but the following generations are, just log into YouTube and start searching car topics... video is the new forum, and lastly we can't pack up our toys and go home because we are now the ones who'll introduce or in some cases reintroduce these great cars to past and future wrench turners!

Memories, memories are what make these cars and this hobby great. Keep the faith since you're the torch bearers... remember every conversation has a sender and a receiver, to keep these cars relevant we need to get these cars and conversations into places they can be seen and heard.

Appreciate you all, best wishes and happy new year
Tom
allardfabrications.com

21 - 40 of 62 Posts