Turbo Dodge Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
For me it is not a hobby...
I bought my Daytona new in 12/89 and she has been and still is my only car and daily driver since 1997.

She has lived outside for 30 years and I have to keep her running properly and do my best to keep her from falling apart or rusting away.

Now that I am retired there will probably not be any new cars for me in the future so my TD will be with me to the end... (Knock On Wood), (From My Lips To Gods Ears)
Turbo 89 Caravan still my daily/only at 193,000. I keep eyeballing an Lexus RX for when the van dies (so I can reject a different class of women).

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Recommended music to read by: Pulse Power by Dynatron.

I grew up in a 1987 Voyager. My sister's first car was an '81 TC3. My wife and I don't own any cars newer than 1991 and that's what we daily drive. FWD Chrysler TBI and turbo cars.

For the past four years I have been doing my best to bridge the gap between the phone savvy younger crowd and the tech illiterate old timers. With Nate Harris's help I have taken the torch that STLShelbyZ (John Stephens) carried trying to create a real local turbo Dodge club in the St. Louis area, and held it higher than ever before. John had to blend into an all brands car club because it's so difficult to drag many TD enthusiasts out of the woodwork, but we have now built something from the ground up. A free car club for local guys because most of us are too cheap to ever pay dues for something. A car club that specializes in supporting 1978-1995 FWD Chrysler products and any vehicles using the Trans4 engine platform. Activities are regular. Camaraderie is abundant.

When I see people trying to sell a car because of a problem, I go and fix it, and try my best to get the owner to keep it. The St. Louis Turbo Mopar Club is alive and well, and I will carry the whole thing on my shoulders to keep it that way. I would like to thank v8sr4u (The Johnson family from Cape Girardeau), and Karl Bonfiglio "K-car Karl" for helping to make everything possible, and I would like to thank everyone here at Turbo Dodge Forums for helping to give me the inspiration to drag myself and this hobby into the future any way that I can. Especially Shadow (Rob McLellan) who I hope to see doing some more inspirational writing here in the future. It is apparent that some folks are losing the drive to keep on going with TDs and need some good stories to pick up their spirits.

Is the hobby dying? NO! Is there now a bigger disconnection than ever before even though Facebook is supposed to"connect people"? YES!

Now if I can just get Bill Lambros to come out of hiding, the STL turbo Dodge experience will be complete.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I would like to thank v8sr4u (The Johnson family from Cape Girardeau), and Karl Bonfiglio "K-car Karl" for helping to make everything possible
You're welcome! St Louis isn't the closest thing to me (four hours and some change) but it's always fun to come down there. Plus it's your damn fault I have all these old junkboxes again anyway! I was FREE and now I have too many hahahaha.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Unless you live in parts of the country that road salt is not needed, you won't find too many of these cars being used as daily drivers. These cars are now over, or near, 30 years old. Just like cars from the '60s and '70s, if someone has a nice one, they won't be using it as a daily driver. My son gets plenty of compliments on his '87 GTS and it runs and drives beautifully. A great road trip car. My son got into Mopars because that is what I'm into. I worked at a Chrysler / Plymouth dealer in '84-'85 when these cars were new. I knew how much fun they were to drive. I still left the decision up to him because it was going to be his car. He is my son so of course he was excited to get a 32 year old Chrysler as his first car. I think I'm as thrilled as he is with that GTS. These cars are still out there. If you live where there is snow & road salt they won't be as abundant. Just like any other older model car. 89BaronGTC, what part of Pittsburgh are you from? PM me, I may be able to help you find a repair shop with guys who know and appreciate our beloved turbo FWD rides.

·
Registered
51 Posts
89BaronGTC, what part of Pittsburgh are you from? PM me, I may be able to help you find a repair shop with guys who know and appreciate our beloved turbo FWD rides.
I am in the North Hills of Pittsburgh. Always eager to hear ideas for turbo Mopar mechanics in this area! I'll send you a PM. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I've been into these cars for 20 years, and I do think their popularity is decreasing. 20 years ago they were plentiful and cheap and fun. they are still fun, but not as plentiful and prices are going up. Added to this is the fact that 20 years ago 200 hp in a 4 cylinder was fast but in this time and age 200 hp in a 4 cylinder is fairly common. I also think the newer generation is looking for experiences and not really interested in owning/maintaining things. Hence why so many of the new generation don't even have driver's licenses -it's easier to get an Uber. I'm sure there will always be a group interested in these cars, but their popularity will continue to decline (but at a much slower rate).

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
When I was 8 years old (1998), my great grandfather had a 1987 Daytona Pacifica. I remember thinking how cool it was when he would take the t-tops off. Once I was able to get a job and afford a car, I bought an 89 Daytona Shelby in 2006 and have been addicted ever since. Currently own my 6th Spirit R/T :thumb:

·
Administrator
3,969 Posts
In my area (Nova Scotia, Canada) I don't think the hobby of cars is dead with the young folks (that said, i'm 33, am I still a young folk??). But it is much, much different.

I attended a local car club carshow of 150+ I had been following and I was very much an odd ball to the carshow. The majority of the cars, owned by people younger than me for the most part, was high end 0-10yo Audi's, Lexus, Maserati, Porsche, Ferrari, Tesla, Lamborghini and even one McLaren, with some lowly Mustang GT, Corvette Z01, Civic SI Turbos, R34 Skylines in the mix. Most lowered, decked to the hills with biggest brakes, wraps, candy paint jobs you can buy.

How the hell they get money for that? I'm in the wrong line of work and generation apparently. I'm getting to opinionated now.

Meanwhile i'm rocking my junkyard parts built and restored in a shack (and proud) 89 Daytona Shelby. Shelby is a Ford right?

What i'm getting at is it seems built not bought is dying, to make way for bought not built. Which is fine I guess, people do what they want to do, and many are forced into this, as working on common cars is getting increasingly difficult to a DIY'er that isn't an ambitious stubborn goat.

Tuner cars are still ever popular, fart can and bling rimmed rusty economy cars, the heart of car culture (serious, think about it)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Unfortunately another reason why this hobby seems to be on the decline- time. People who were doing this stuff back in the 80's were in their 30's or 40's back then which puts their age between 60 -70 + years old. Age is catching up with the people as much as its catching up with the cars.

Facebook has made a positive impact as most people are on it. Anyone who comes across one of these cars will most likely search about it on facebook, weather it be information or to sell. I do see a lot of these cars pop up for sale on the marketplace, i see lots of fairly clean cars that only need minor work to get roadworthy again. A lot of those will be stuff that someone has had sitting behind the barn or garage or whatever, you used to not really see a lot of that stuff as people would just scrap them instead of messing around with placing an ad on craigslist, now they can just snap a few pics with their phone and wait for replies that they will get almost immediately on thier phone vs having to log in, check emails or put your personal phone number out there.

I also frequently see new owners pop up on the facebook groups.

Its not dying, the way people connect is evolving away from the forums. I expect the forums to stick around but will be more like a technical resource than a platform for people to connect on.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts