Turbo Dodge Forums banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have been looking for a GLHS ever since I learned about it but all the ones I found were $5000 on Craigslist, can I ask why you think that I'll get an 86 GLHS since they made only 500 of them?
My dad bought an 86 GLHS 18 months ago for $1500 I believe. Minimal rust, just completely disassembled. Keep looking and you can find a deal.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My dad bought an 86 GLHS 18 months ago for $1500 I believe. Minimal rust, just completely disassembled. Keep looking and you can find a deal.
Thanks dude. I'm still deciding if I need a real GLHS since I got a horizon already that me and my dad are gonna modify as a GLH anyway, I'm happy with the toy I have already but I suppose that the real thing would be even better. You wanna see my ride as is right now and how it'll look like after restoration?

·
Registered
158 Posts
The TD scene here is Houston has always been a percentage of a percentage. I will say that my CSX-T is well received everywhere it goes and always draws an interested crowd. Whereas 20 years ago I would get laughed out of local car gatherings. My car is currently sitting at the Houston Auto Show at NRG Center, invitation only so there's that.

The forums are dead b/c of FaceBook plain and simple. I have reluctantly piggy-backed my wife's account b/c that's where all the communication and good parts can be found. The forums are far superior to the FB style, still boggles me that it's the preferred platform.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The TD scene here is Houston has always been a percentage of a percentage. I will say that my CSX-T is well received everywhere it goes and always draws an interested crowd. Whereas 20 years ago I would get laughed out of local car gatherings. My car is currently sitting at the Houston Auto Show at NRG Center, invitation only so there's that.

The forums are dead b/c of FaceBook plain and simple. I have reluctantly piggy-backed my wife's account b/c that's where all the communication and good parts can be found. The forums are far superior to the FB style, still boggles me that it's the preferred platform.
Why do you think you would've gotten laughed at 20 years ago with your CSX-T? Do you think it has to do with the fact that today it stands out from the crowd since it's rare and unique? I got an 86 Horizon that I'm modifying as a GLH over summer and you can bet that it'll draw a crowd like your CSX-T does, my ride is getting the red and silver stripe graphics based on the GLHS Charger along with a ton of other mods.

Yeah man the forum is better than FB.

·
Registered
158 Posts
They just were not respected as real Shelby cars back then. Most of the old school muscle car crowd dismissed them as FWD “junk Mitsubishi’s” :cautious: The TD’s were way ahead of their time and I’m glad they’re starting to get the attention they deserve.

To your point, yes I think their uniqueness makes them more interesting. There are only so many Mustangs and Camaros one can look at 😄

·
Registered
95 Posts
They just were not respected as real Shelby cars back then. Most of the old school muscle car crowd dismissed them as FWD “junk Mitsubishi’s” :cautious: The TD’s were way ahead of their time and I’m glad they’re starting to get the attention they deserve.
I feel you bro. What about turbo Omnis? Do they get any more respect or credibility?

·
Registered
95 Posts
86 GLHS’ Seem to be the strongest valued Shelby dodge so I’d say yes!
That's my dream car but I got the stock Horizon that has quite an interesting story LOL. My car got modified a bunch mechanically and later on it'll get a sweet makeover that'll give it some attitude for it being my first car at 21. I'm not sure if I need a real turbo Omni since I already got a Horizon that'll look like a GLH hahahahaha.

I got some pics of my car if you are interested.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks man! Really appreciate the compliment!

Well hey it's been chatting with you, I don't wanna spoil the whole thing right now cause it ain't done. As soon as it's done I will post it on here and you can give me your opinion. It won't be until summer though cause it's too cold to paint right now.

Have a great day!

·
Administrator
3,982 Posts
You guys talking about these cars drawing a crowd, my all stock, 14" steel rimmed 88 4-door K-car draws more of a crowd than my washed and waxed black 89 Dodge Daytona Shelby T-top - go figure haha!

·
Registered
95 Posts
You guys talking about these cars drawing a crowd, my all stock, 14" steel rimmed 88 4-door K-car draws more of a crowd than my washed and waxed black 89 Dodge Daytona Shelby T-top - go figure haha!
I feel that bro. I also got a K-car at my dad's garage that me and my dad started prepping for painting last summer, we are gonna paint her bright white.

How does a GLH compare to a K-car in terms of attracting attention? My car is a dark red metallic and as everybody knows, red attracts cops but laser red does it more than any other shade. Honestly only us TD guys know what a GLH Omni is. I wanted to do a bright red on my car but then I saw the actual color and it's a sweet dark red metallic and I'm going with that.

Could you make a case that if you own a really nice old Mopar like a hot looking GLH or Aries the cops won't see any reason to harass you because they know that you care about your car?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I am jumping into the middle of a conversation here, so I apologize, but I just want to put in my two cents.
I do feel FB is a big reason why activity has declined on here. I know I am guilty of that for sure.
I also know that part availability, emission testing, and an aging population of interested people are reasons for the decline.
But I would like to bring some light into the conversation. I am only 28 and have been working on my single project car (pic below) for the past 10 years or so (since high school), and bringing attention to the TD world locally. I have a video that tells the story of my Omni project here:
Since the completion of the video I have sense required the engine bay (again), relocated the battery to the back of the car, and am currently in the process of buying a built engine and swapping out the heel art of my green machine. I love these cars, as much of a pain they can be at times, and I plan on keeping mine alive as long as I possibly can.
5F83A879-AA08-4C5E-B78B-2A87A373D68F.jpeg
8361A6B6-877A-4ED8-B05C-465ED8895F7A.jpeg

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am jumping into the middle of a conversation here, so I apologize, but I just want to put in my two cents.
I do feel FB is a big reason why activity has declined on here. I know I am guilty of that for sure.
I also know that part availability, emission testing, and an aging population of interested people are reasons for the decline.
But I would like to bring some light into the conversation. I am only 28 and have been working on my single project car (pic below) for the past 10 years or so (since high school), and bringing attention to the TD world locally. I have a video that tells the story of my Omni project here:
Since the completion of the video I have sense required the engine bay (again), relocated the battery to the back of the car, and am currently in the process of buying a built engine and swapping out the heel art of my green machine. I love these cars, as much of a pain they can be at times, and I plan on keeping mine alive as long as I possibly can.
View attachment 269874 View attachment 269875

Yo dude, I saw this on YouTube and I don't know if you saw my reply on your post about your car but I really like it, super nice paint scheme and rims. I'm 21 and like you I got an 86 Plymouth Horizon that me and my dad are gonna fix up as a GLH like you did only with the GLHS Charger paint scheme (dark red metallic), 7 spoke rims from the SXT neon and a lot more mods.

I got some pics of my ride if you're interested (my car is currently in progress). Your car is still gonna be a lot nicer than mine even after restoration or at least equally as nice. I also got a pic of what it's supposed to look like also if you want to see this.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yo dude, I saw this on YouTube and I don't know if you saw my reply on your post about your car but I really like it, super nice paint scheme and rims. I'm 21 and like you I got an 86 Plymouth Horizon that me and my dad are gonna fix up as a GLH like you did only with the GLHS Charger paint scheme (dark red metallic), 7 spoke rims from the SXT neon and a lot more mods.

I got some pics of my ride if you're interested (my car is currently in progress). Your car is still gonna be a lot nicer than mine even after restoration or at least equally as nice. I also got a pic of what it's supposed to look like also if you want to see this.
Ya man for sure I’d like to see it! And no I never saw any of the comments on the videos on YouTube because it was posted on my buddies account since he was the editor of it. So I was never notified. But because of your comment here it made me go back and look and I got to read a bunch of nice comments and I appreciate that!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ya man for sure I’d like to see it! And no I never saw any of the comments on the videos on YouTube because it was posted on my buddies account since he was the editor of it. So I was never notified. But because of your comment here it made me go back and look and I got to read a bunch of nice comments and I appreciate that!
Yeah man, from an Omni brother to another :)

Here it is:

This is what my ride will look like roughly after restoration, she'll get the 7 spoke rims from the SXT neon and the GLHS Charger paint scheme (red and silver stripe):

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
61 - 80 of 89 Posts