Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking into getting an omni to drive and occasionally take to an autocross event, and of course i cant wait to show some of these ricers how it is done. so my question is: is the power worth the extra money and work to convert? What kind of power is the conversion showing also? will an 8v 2.5 be good for mid/high 12s in street trim. Also just as a side note, my dad owns a supercharged b18c1 swapped civic( yeah he is 46 and it is his daily driver) and is there anyway i can beat him for under 3 grand in mods, car not included or is he in a ballpark all his own. i do know his injectors are limiting him now and it is horribly untuned so prolly mid hig 12s himself. i really wanna show him what TDs are all about cause he laughed the first time i told him i thought an omni was cool(before i knew they were fast also, ha ha) thanks guys. I want an Omni soooooooo bad.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Folks like to think that doing the 16v conversion is expensive. It only is when you swap the TIII motor in, go out and get a Stratus 2.4 motor and a Neon tranny, swap the trannys internals and whatnot, get a custom calibration from FWD Performance, and all the other neccasities.

I was promised that in my Spirit doing this swap that I can see high 11's for around $1,500.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I think Russ Jerome is selling his Omni. It runs 12's and is his daily driver. If you already have one, then I think YES it's worth it. The 2.4 swap Ohiorob did is an awsome swap as well. Either one is going to require some custom fab work, but if you have even basic skills, you CAN do this. I'm in the process of building a magnum head hybrid, a dohc hybrid and a regular sohc hybrid swaps for a few different cars.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Just walked in from track, drove there and home with
passengers on old tires. Low 12's at 120mph on street
rubber I think its worth it but depends on you fabrication
skills. I got a turn key Hybrid Omni for YOU! 26mpg and
you can waste Saleen SC Mustangs on your lunch break:)

·
Registered
819 Posts
Dave said:
Folks like to think that doing the 16v conversion is expensive. It only is when you swap the TIII motor in, go out and get a Stratus 2.4 motor and a Neon tranny, swap the trannys internals and whatnot, get a custom calibration from FWD Performance, and all the other neccasities.

I was promised that in my Spirit doing this swap that I can see high 11's for around $1,500.
It is definately not that easy there is a lot of fabrication to be done and as far as money goes you can do high 11's in an omni cheaper with an 8 valve setup.Just put it this way I have 1300.00 into just rods and pistons,turbo sc6152 another 700.00 external wastegate another 240.00 and you havent even begun to buy the things you need.Granted you dont have to use pauter billet rods but I think forged pistons are definately a necessity.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I think if you have the ask the question if it's worth it. It's not the swap for you because it is a lot of work and it'll nickle and dime you to death if you aren't good at pre-planning. My advice would be to just stick with a warmed up 8v until you feel confident re-engineering your car. Until that point it's probably not a good idea

·
Registered
495 Posts
price on these bad boys varies wildly depending on what parts you go with, junkyard or otherwise and how much fab work you can do yourself

I myself am going the over the top route thanks to the US taxpayers :D heres a picture

Crane #14 Cams 399.95
Crane titanium springs/retainers 269.95
Ferrea Inconel valves 303.84
PT style lifters 99.95
SBI rockers 139.95
Aluminum Rods 520.00
head studs 112.00
venolia pistons 429.00
magnacore wires 79.00
manifolds 400.00 (i payed twice this but have since seen each for much cheaper :( )
cam gears 269.00
head/block 200.00

current total 3222.64

and thats not counting shipping, a turbo, tranny mods, porting, the standalone i want etc...

·
Registered
943 Posts
one thing i've noticed so far is the cars that i've seen pictures of with the hybrid setup run automatics, can the A555 or 568 take the power from a hybrid? just as a thought, stock rebuilt bottom end on a 2.5 and a stock T3 with stock intercooler and various little things. mainly just the head swapped and ran. will the manual trannies take the abuse of racing occaisiinally and the usual highway speed ups and slow downs?

Scott
89 Daytona Shelby 2.5 "T2" wishin for a garret...

·
Banned
4 Posts
89Waredaytona said:
one thing i've noticed so far is the cars that i've seen pictures of with the hybrid setup run automatics, can the A555 or 568 take the power from a hybrid? just as a thought, stock rebuilt bottom end on a 2.5 and a stock T3 with stock intercooler and various little things. mainly just the head swapped and ran. will the manual trannies take the abuse of racing occaisiinally and the usual highway speed ups and slow downs?

Scott
89 Daytona Shelby 2.5 "T2" wishin for a garret...

Last I checked only one person had broken a 568, and it was supposedly a bad casting. With some of the hybrid guys out there that could have changed since last I read up on the duability of the 568s. YMMV.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think people should just set a budget on what they are willing to dish out for a new engine, I mean you are building a new engine right? Figure out what you can afford, price everything out and go from there. Or you can do it over the winter (when you generally cant race) and by the end of the season your ready to go! $500 a month for 6 months of winter, and you have $3000 for play. (may not apply to those south of canada EH) Having a second income might help too.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The conversion is not worth it IMAO. Been there, done that.

Buy a 2.4L with a tranny, put in the 2.5L pistons and T2 rods. All you need is to fab three motor mounts and you end up with 1) stronger short block, 2) stronger 5 speed/same automatic, 3) a lot less to fool with than a hybrid conversion 4) a lot lower cost to run the same hp

Kev

·
Registered
137,665 Posts
ozspeed said:
The conversion is not worth it IMAO. Been there, done that.

Buy a 2.4L with a tranny, put in the 2.5L pistons and T2 rods. All you need is to fab three motor mounts and you end up with 1) stronger short block, 2) stronger 5 speed/same automatic, 3) a lot less to fool with than a hybrid conversion 4) a lot lower cost to run the same hp

Kev

A few corrections here. First of all, the SRT4 rods/pistons are a much better choice for this application. The 5 speed tranny with any standard (non srt4) car is not stronger, in fact its weaker. You only need to fabricate 1 motor mount, not 3. :)

·
Registered
819 Posts
OmniGTI said:
A few corrections here. First of all, the SRT4 rods/pistons are a much better choice for this application. The 5 speed tranny with any standard (non srt4) car is not stronger, in fact its weaker. You only need to fabricate 1 motor mount, not 3. :)
Well the rod thing is all about opinion I believe the rod bolt choice might be more important then the rod itself there both strong rods.The srt-4 pistons are hyperutectic so high boost apps.with a big turbo and slight detonation and you will break them.If you can afford it use forged they will save you if you make a slight mistake while tuning.I know I had to fab 3 mounts that includes the custom bobble,the only drop in mount is the trans mount(in the auto)not sure about the stick I know 568 has been used.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts