Turbo Dodge Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
OmniGTI said:
A few corrections here. First of all, the SRT4 rods/pistons are a much better choice for this application. The 5 speed tranny with any standard (non srt4) car is not stronger, in fact its weaker. You only need to fabricate 1 motor mount, not 3. :)
????

This goes against some pretty well documented fast cars. Maybe you have a different source that states opposite?

True, the SRT pistons are a good choice, however the rods are same if not weaker than the T2 rods.

The stock 350 tranny in a neon has proven to be a strong choice, and needs work on the diff (typical TD stuff).

My opinion is just that, my opinion. I have done the hybrid thing (I think I had the first website for it), have done the 2.4 thing, and have done the SRT4 thing. This doesnt mean I am an expert, just some guy who has tried stuff.

·
Registered
137,665 Posts
ozspeed said:
????

This goes against some pretty well documented fast cars. Maybe you have a different source that states opposite?

True, the SRT pistons are a good choice, however the rods are same if not weaker than the T2 rods.

The stock 350 tranny in a neon has proven to be a strong choice, and needs work on the diff (typical TD stuff).

My opinion is just that, my opinion. I have done the hybrid thing (I think I had the first website for it), have done the 2.4 thing, and have done the SRT4 thing. This doesnt mean I am an expert, just some guy who has tried stuff.
I said use the SRT4 rods/pistons because the SRT4 pistons were made for a 16V, are stronger than 2.5 pistons, and yield better compression. As for the rods, I stated that because they come as a combo from the dealer with the pistons, are just as strong as t2 (not stronger or weaker per say but the t2 needs good arp bolts to stay together as well) and are really cheap. 52$ for each rod/piston. It just doesnt make good sense to use a 2.5 piston and t2 rods on a 2.4 swap.

The stock neon's tranny internals are not as strong as say, a 568, but its certainly upgradeable.

As for who you are, I am aware. In fact I bought your hybrid top end from the Shadow at one point.

·
Banned
2,548 Posts
The SRT pistons are cheap, but less than ideal. We are using them in my brother's Neon, and if he hadn't gotten a little too greedy with the boost without any ignition retard, they probably would have survived.
The crown design is nice for for idle quality and part throttle drivability, but is a tradoff in power output. A conventional dished piston, (or ideally a piston with a crown made to take more advantage of combustion chamber quench) would be much better.

·
Registered
137,665 Posts
contraption22 said:
The SRT pistons are cheap, but less than ideal. We are using them in my brother's Neon, and if he hadn't gotten a little too greedy with the boost without any ignition retard, they probably would have survived.
The crown design is nice for for idle quality and part throttle drivability, but is a tradoff in power output. A conventional dished piston, (or ideally a piston with a crown made to take more advantage of combustion chamber quench) would be much better.

I agree with this completely. Obviously an aftermarket forged piston with a dish that actually reaches the top of the deck would be better. The SRT$ design is a bit odd. However, I was just comparing "cheap vs cheap" in which case SRT Rod/Piston is the way to go.

·
Registered
143 Posts
OmniGTI said:
I said use the SRT4 rods/pistons because the SRT4 pistons were made for a 16V, are stronger than 2.5 pistons, and yield better compression. As for the rods, I stated that because they come as a combo from the dealer with the pistons, are just as strong as t2 (not stronger or weaker per say but the t2 needs good arp bolts to stay together as well) and are really cheap. 52$ for each rod/piston. It just doesnt make good sense to use a 2.5 piston and t2 rods on a 2.4 swap.

The stock neon's tranny internals are not as strong as say, a 568, but its certainly upgradeable.

As for who you are, I am aware. In fact I bought your hybrid top end from the Shadow at one point.
Its all cool ....... just different opinions on getting to the same place.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
This thread is about cost's of Hybrid and viable other swap's like the
2.4/2.0 family. Being a sticky all other posts will be deleted.

·
Registered
935 Posts
in terms of the money thing, would it be cheaper to bend your own steel lines for the oil feed and return? is something like that even possible? i understand that braided steel line is flexible and strong, but would hard steel line work as well?

Scott

·
Registered
143 Posts
Only problem I have with hard turbo oil lines is that it can be a pain when you have to take the turbo off. In my Mercedes tubodiesel, I ended up snapping the oil feed hardline due to have to bend it to take turbo out. So, I ended making something using hydraulic hose and and fittings. It sure made life much easier. In my turbo Volvo I am having the very same issue, so I am getting parts to replace the lines.

·
Registered
247 Posts
In a 2.5L 5 speed TI application, i would be looking to do the whole 16V conversion due to me having to take the head off cause of broken exhaust bolts. Is there a 16V head i could just kinda toss on with very little or even better, NO mods??

Chris

·
Registered
121 Posts
okay, i'm a little lost in here, but i'm trying to find out about a neon head swap on a 2.2L. whats it entail? i'm not worried about tranny ect. - just engine mods and accesories. how hard is it, really. i'm very mechanically inclined, and i want to know all the pros and cons about it, because i am very interested in this swap. a buddy of mine says that with that neon head on there, if you dont have a 12 sec. daily driver, your doing something wrong. please give me your opinions, and i would really like to know from people that have done it.

Vehicle is an 87 CSX

·
Banned
44 Posts
i was wondering what the advantages were to doing the 16v swap as well, what all has to be done to perform the swap, and can this be done with 2.2/2.5 turbo 1s or does it have to be 2.4 from the newer cars?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just walked in from track, drove there and home with
passengers on old tires. Low 12's at 120mph on street
rubber I think its worth it but depends on you fabrication
skills. I got a turn key Hybrid Omni for YOU! 26mpg and
you can waste Saleen SC Mustangs on your lunch break:)
GG'S HAHAHA :banana: :WT:mustangs - thats what i like to hear! :cheers:

·
Mr. Moderator
8,900 Posts
Why carb? This thread is old as dirt who ever brought it back.
If you are running a carb for simplicity, dont waste your fabrication. Run an MPFI system or megasquirt the thing.

·
Administrator
10,169 Posts
The tread is very old agreed

Id like to see the r/t or neon head used in a carb motor. would be very interesting. Ive seen the conversion to a neon head in an 85 laser, theres not much room for the intake/fuel system there.....maybe over the transmission? or a really custom fabbed intake. Be a cool setup. Manual or auto?

·
Registered
378 Posts
the 16 v Conv . is cool but as the other replies uve gotn stated , good bit of fab work . for the money spent an 8 V set (up right) will run in the mid elevens . ur gonna have 2 spend money either way . ur best bet is find one 4 sale thats been done ull get a betr deal overall .

21 - 39 of 39 Posts