Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have to send it in as a core just want to make sure it is T2 and not a T1 or is there any difference?

·
Premium Member
9,110 Posts
its an 88+ TI or TII mani

the only difference between a "TI" and a "TII" (AFAIK) is the notch cast into the turbo flange between the "top" two turbo bolts ( as seen in your first pic) ; this notch was added to gain clearance for the TII "2-piece" (first on 86 GLHS's) and "1-piece" (on all 88 TI & TII cars) intake manis which replace the earlier "log" style intake mani

10 minutes with a 4" angle grinder (or less time with a plasma cutter) will convert your 'early' mani into a "TII" mani

note that the early-TI Garrett turbine housings also lacked this notch.. something to consider if you plan to convert an "early" TI turbo into a TII (another 10 min of grinding)

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,518 Posts
According to my 87 FSM, the TII that year used a 2 piece intake, they even show a California varient with EGR. 88 up all TI and TII used 1 piece intakes. All of the later TI engines I have had the notched turbo flange on the manifold.

·
Premium Member
9,110 Posts
According to my 87 FSM, the TII that year used a 2 piece intake, they even show a California varient with EGR. 88 up all TI and TII used 1 piece intakes. .
ah OK cool so the 86-87 TII engines ('S'- cars and the Shelby Z) all used the 2-piece, while the TI cars still had the 'log'; then in 88 all turbo cars (I & II) used the 1-piece (bare aluminum on TI cars; black wrinkle finish on TII cars)

thx for the info/correction ; I have never seen an 87 Z engine in person..

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do not know how this subject got on about cutting the runner notch but what ever... More info for my brain.

Just needed to know because I am getting a ported mani from Matt on T-M.

Have a Dean Stille ported 2 piece coming in the mail next week and +40's too.

Detobias: Here is a picture of a bone stone 87 Shelby Z engine. (mounted in an 86 Tona) The guy that did it had to chop the hood vent shield to fit the 2 piece under hood but did it. I want a to weld sheet metal to the vent shield to make it functional again... the guy covered the hole with plexi glass to keep rain off the engine.

·
Legendary Driver
10,968 Posts
1st, ALL 87 and up exhaust manifolds have the notch, EVEN the log cars. The 86 shelby cars will be the only 86 models that year to have that manifold.

2nd, Tonatom, take the plexiglass out and let the enginebay breathe! Rain, snow or sleet won't hurt anything as long as someone hasn't cleaned all the dielectric grease off the connectors from the factory. The vent in the hood lets out heat and high pressure air allowing the radiator to function better.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Here's another from an 87 Shelby Z, but I'm not stock. Detobias, I had to grind it some more after I obtained a factory TII car with the Two Piece, so I bought an angle grinder:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts