Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a 86 turbo z daytona. got it for cheep because it is not running, the guy i bought it from had a new power module, fuel pump, and gas tank installed (ran for a wile then the car died on him). i bought this car assuming it would be somthing wrong with the power module or wiring/relays. but after checking for power and ground at the fuel pump connecter (and connecting the fuel pump up to 12 volts) i found the fuel pump is not working at all. i will install a new pump to get the car running but i was wondering if it was possable they installed the wrong pump (for a TBI) and since the pump normally runs at much lower pressures then the turbo or 3.0 liter cars im thinking it ran for a wile but the pump couldent take it anymore and burnt out. does anybody know if this is possable? or could this just be a defective pump.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Of course it is possible. Could be clogged fuel filter, messed up pressure regulator, or just about anything else in line too.

Enjoy your '86. They are quite a bit of fun.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but even with a cloged filter/messed up pressure regulator/somthing in the line, shouldent i still hear the pump do somthing when 12 volts is applied?

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
Yes, but before I order a new pump I would make sure the connector to the pump is firmly on there. ARe you applying 12v directly to the pump or to the pump circuit?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i used 2 test leads and cliped them on the pins of the fuel pump, and connected the other ends to a charged battery and got nothing. i even switched them to make sure i dident hook the test leads up backwards. and i made sure they dident short out on the gas tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts