Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started sanding this 88 2.2 Tbi head with my sweet counter top milling device. (Machine shop wanted $140)
Purple Hood Wood Bumper Automotive exterior

And this stopped the resurfacing operation in its tracks.
Automotive tire Bicycle part Wheel Rim Tool

Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Audio equipment Rim

Is this fixable or should I throw it in the scrap pile?

Already pulled the Cam rollers lifters valves etc. (Supposedly the 88 Tbi cam is real good?)

Also anyone see any issues with the block?
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive engine gasket Automotive wheel system Gas

·
Registered
200 Posts
Seeing that its a tbi car, and ur doing this on the cheap, I'd run it tbh. If it was for a turbo car, I'd be a little more concerned. And I've seen heads that have been ported where that whole area around the valve guide has been tapered. So I'd assume there's still plenty meat in the head to hold the guide. Just my 2 cent

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Seeing that its a tbi car, and ur doing this on the cheap, I'd run it tbh. If it was for a turbo car, I'd be a little more concerned. And I've seen heads that have been ported where that whole area around the valve guide has been tapered. So I'd assume there's still plenty meat in the head to hold the guide. Just my 2 cent
This thing was driven for over 2 years overheating practically every day.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Auto part Engineering

I know the cracks between the valves are normal but there's huge cracks coming from the water jacket going into the chambers...
Font Gas Circle Auto part Automotive tire

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yeah, my bad, I didn't see that! Yep I'd say its pretty much scrap. Sorry 😞
If it is trash here's a closeup of the Deck. If anyone sees a problem let me know. Was gonna hone it and put in new rings and now gonna get another head. At least the junk head had Turbo (non-magnetic) valves I can reuse..

·
Registered
1989 Dodge Shadow 2.5 non turbo 3 speed automatic
335 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just for laughs you could try to grind down until you find the bottom of the crack then fill the cavity with high temp jb weld. Then sand down the epoxy to be flat. Slap it back together and see what happens.

Actually a whole head can be made from JB Weld.

Current plan for that head is to shelve it (might Dremel the cracks and tig weld em later maybe) Also that Vizard guy is looking for a head to cut up so might msg him if he wants it. or if anyone wants it for free..

I found this beauty for $60 gonna grab it tomorrow. A classic 2.5 Tall Block been sitting 20 years but the guy said it ran great no issues car just rusted out so hopefully the head is still good. I'll just swap the cam/rollers. I heard you can swap in the flat top 2.2 pistons and have a 10+ compression ratio so maybe the shortblock can have a use too. the block date is 2-86
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Bumper Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Wood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
With your energy level, I'd be putting that head back on and running it.

At least it will be running/driving while you build the tall deck.

Thanks
Randy

PS: Post pics of the tall deck nub if you get a chance.

Might help others ID a tall deck.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With your energy level, I'd be putting that head back on and running it.

At least it will be running/driving while you build the tall deck.

Thanks
Randy

PS: Post pics of the tall deck nub if you get a chance.

Might help others ID a tall deck.
Energy isn't like 10 years ago. Back in the day we woulda pulled into the Autozone parking lot and done a motor swap.
Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle

Or drove a knocking parts car to strip it out all night
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Car

Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Plant Grille

Or bought a $50 Ford Tempo
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car Tire Vehicle

Only to have the plugs snap off in the IRON head
Wood Gas Nail Auto part Gun accessory

And spent all night with reverse drill bits hammered in attached to a breaker bar and a torch.

These days woulda just scrapped it.

I don't have pics of us going to the junkyard pulling a $100 3.0 for a 95 Caravan (lifted the van off the engine after unbolting it) and lifting the thing in with 3 crappy jacks (no hoist all by hand) or months later doing the trans in a snowstorm laying on the ground...
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

That stuff is just annoying these days.

Plan is to use the Tall Block head on the 2.2 engine in the car and re-ring/hone it with new rod bearings (not doing motor swaps like back in the day with jacks on the ground)

Then pull the 2.5 Tall-Block pistons since they are the same as 2.2 Turbo pistons down the road put the flat tops from the TBI to Turbo project car to make a high compression 2.5...

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Great factory combination if the combo can tolerate the compression!!

I've often thought of this same deal only using a G head.

I like it's slow burn characteristics on Turbo Engines.

Detonation is certainly the enemy of all Engines,

Especially so with high torque Engines.

Let us know how it works out.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great factory combination if the combo can tolerate the compression!!

I've often thought of this same deal only using a G head.

I like it's slow burn characteristics on Turbo Engines.

Detonation is certainly the enemy of all Engines,

Especially so with high torque Engines.

Let us know how it works out.

Thanks
Randy
In my quest to find a cylinder head I found a junkyard that has a couple G heads off tbi omnis maybe I'll pick one up this summer. Try it out.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design Vehicle

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
I've heard of the elusive G head TBI Omnis but have never seen one.

First TBI Omni was 1988 and the last assembly line G head was 1985.

I would really like to see the date code near the #! spark plug.

I love a good mystery!!

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've heard of the elusive G head TBI Omnis but have never seen one.

First TBI Omni was 1988 and the last assembly line G head was 1985.

I would really like to see the date code near the #! spark plug.

I love a good mystery!!

Thanks
Randy
It's funny because I up a looked up 88 TBI head and it said they had 2 off TBI Omnis I had the guy text me and they turned out to be G heads here's the rest of the pics he sent.

Junkyards tend to get mismatched parts out of cars.
Automotive tire Tire Tread Motor vehicle Wheel

Photograph White Light Bicycle part Close-up

Gas Font Auto part Metal Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
23 Posts
Years & yrs ago there use to be a process call furnace bronzing---where they could repair cracks in heads/blocks. They clean, boil & strip the head/block then dip it in a special hot acid ( sequence of procedures ) then fire it in a furnace red hot then braze/bronze the cracks. I don't know if this process is used anymore or if ended up not feasible do to the elaborate castings of today or price of replaced parts cheaper then the bronzing.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
FYI they continued to use g-heads in NA Carb.L-bodies (NOT TBI) through at least 86 maybe 87. Your head could very well could have came off an L-body. Used them in certain instances like non AC or manual tranny cars. I've pulled plenty of them off at the salvage yards.
I have more than one G-head with casting dates of 86 and later. Some later ones being crossdrilled. 86+ drilled for 11mm head bolts too. Some cast in Mexico too. Here is proof for you Randy, check out the date. Came off 40K mile
86 Omni.

Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Synthetic rubber Automotive exterior

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
"I've heard of the elusive G head TBI Omnis but have never seen one."

That still stands true but as of now I've seen one off a 1986 Omni.

My M/P G head is dated 1991 but it's obviously not assembly line.

I'm old but never too old to learn something!

Appreciate you sharing Todd.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
FYI they continued to use g-heads in NA Carb.L-bodies (NOT TBI) through at least 86 maybe 87. Your head could very well could have came off an L-body. Used them in certain instances like non AC or manual tranny cars. I've pulled plenty of them off at the salvage yards.
I have more than one G-head with casting dates of 86 and later. Some later ones being crossdrilled. 86+ drilled for 11mm head bolts too. Some cast in Mexico too. Here is proof for you Randy, check out the date. Came off 40K mile
86 Omni.

View attachment 279789 View attachment 279790
What do you think of this 85 Swirl head its off a 2.5 Tall Block?
Sculpture Automotive tire Rim Art Automotive wheel system
Bicycle part Computer keyboard Rim Gear Gas
Wood Gas Auto part Art Metal
Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Bicycle part Gas

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
What do I think about it? Well it's filthy. Don't know if I've EVER seen a 2.2/2.5 head so full of grease (lol). On a good note, it saved the aluminum from getting white corrosion fuzz all over it. Seemed to have been running okay though. Hope those plugs come out without pulling out the threads with them. Seen that before...
You probably don't want my opinions on what to do with it. We really can't be further apart on our philosophies on putting used parts back into service without going through them. I just never ever do it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts