Turbo Dodge Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
What do I think about it? Well it's filthy. Don't know if I've EVER seen a 2.2/2.5 head so full of grease (lol). On a good note, it saved the aluminum from getting white corrosion fuzz all over it. Seemed to have been running okay though. Hope those plugs come out without pulling out the threads with them. Seen that before...
You probably don't want my opinions on what to do with it. We really can't be further apart on our philosophies on putting used parts back into service without going through them. I just never ever do it.
Lol the last pic was after an hour of scrubbing and half a roll of shop rags.

The motor that head came from sat in a old guy's garage for over 20 years.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Wood Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior Gas

He helped me disassemble it so we could lift it in the car.
Green Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Hood

$60 for a complete motor (Still spun over somehow) was worth it just for the head.

You would love my piece of wood on trash barrels I'm using as a bench to clean up the pistons.

Gotta have proper machine facilities. For a $200 K car

Also the starter that came with the motor actually works. It just doesn't sound to happy. Maybe there's a way to grease it..

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
The tall deck came out in model year 1986.

Also, the first model year of the swirl head.

Model years begin before calendar years.

Still, a very early example!!

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
126 Posts
Question for you...which intake manifold are you going to be using? The one that was on it originally, or the 4323418 that you picked up on the engine you bought for $60?

If not using the 4323418 and the # on the other side of the TBI baseplate (the date code, ends in 84), I would love to purchase it from you as a spare (if it has not been altered or cracked in any way). I would give you back the price you paid for the engine plus shipping.
FYI they continued to use g-heads in NA Carb.L-bodies (NOT TBI) through at least 86 maybe 87. Your head could very well could have came off an L-body. Used them in certain instances like non AC or manual tranny cars. I've pulled plenty of them off at the salvage yards.
I have more than one G-head with casting dates of 86 and later. Some later ones being crossdrilled. 86+ drilled for 11mm head bolts too. Some cast in Mexico too. Here is proof for you Randy, check out the date. Came off 40K mile
86 Omni.

View attachment 279789 View attachment 279790
Interesting info (the 86 date code on a 287 head), and that 40K mile head looks like it never saw a day of service, or a drop of oil. Except at the gasket surface. Nice, as i am limited by the casting #, but not the date code. Thanks for that info.

·
Registered
1984 Daytona. AF/S
28 Posts
I was found this forum. It will not let me send messages or post in any of the treads on rods that glrcng Is looking for. I’m building a stock eliminator engine as well. Not it’s all bigger letter. How do you pm or post on wanted threads I’m getting NHRA rods done for class.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Wecome to the forum.
The forum rules have recently changed due to a huge increase in scammers. So you are locked out until you reach a certain number of posts. It might be ten posts. Contact or PM Dr. Johny Dodge or NAJ if you need more help in this area.
To PM Glrcng, click on his avatar, pop-up screen should appear. then click on start conversation. Another pop-up screen should appear. Rest should be EZ.

·
Registered
1984 Daytona. AF/S
28 Posts
Thank you very much. I’m getting some stock eliminator rods done and NHRA accepted

Reactions: Glhs60

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi Greg Hogue, we decided to go back with the stock ones removed from the block instead of the slightly lighter wt. Replacements as #4 was lightest (will be the untouched assembly), and we are balancing 1,2,3 to it, it really was not worth the new rod expense to save ounces overall, and will nearly meet the minimum total assembly was, for completed pistons, ringsets, pin/locks, rod, bearings, rod bokts/nuts, and since they are torque to yield bolts, we can get them close, and spend the money on better quality hardware for the assemblies, and he already shot peened and matched the rods (while waiting for the Ross Forged Repl. Pistons).

On the posting, it takes a little while, and a few posts, I had the same issue a while back too, but if you post to another thread like this I will also respond and it helps you build a posting history too.

What class are you running in the STK Category...(5 Total Categories, you are a busy guy!) I see your tag below your name says 1984 Daytona AF/S, Is that a Turbo car? If so I was under the impression that 1984 was all TBI Daytona's (just that year, and were all carb. Editions in prior years 1983 and below), and they switched to all turbos in 1985 only, and if you have something that is an extreme unicorn, not that mine is not, would love to see it as we can only go top of the original class, or drop 1 class. The TBI is the 99 HP , though NHRA had the 84 TBI 2.2L misclassed in 1993 at 110 HP FF/SA fit, dropped it into GF/SA @ 2,763 lbs w/driver, had me running waaaay heavy in 1994-Feb. 96 when I asked for a review of the combo, and they dropped it back to the orig. 99 HP (or over 11 percent at 11 HP reduction where it actually belonged in the 1st place,, so I recently removed 275 legally, and will now fit original in EF/S at 24.97 lbs per HP so that is heavy for that class, so will run it at same index as GF/SA was, same 25.00 Lbs per HP at 99HP, and the very top of EF/S, only 2,475 plus driver.

Will clue you in right now, if you also have a 2.2 TBI 84 Daytona I fit in DF/S, can run in DF/S or drop 1 class to EF/S, and a Div. 5 driver just Bombed the record under by a train load on June 3 rd., 2022 (Just 3 days after my Piston order was finalized with Ross Pistons.

5196 Stan Kopejtka, Atkinson, NE at Brainerd, MN (Running an 83 Aeries Wagon 94 HP 2.2L carbed combo,, on all 3 events), qualified 3rd Time in a row now #1, in 3 div. 5 events (last September 12, 2020 at Earlville, IA #1 qualifier in Stock spot EF/S 16.31 on a 17.45 Index ran -1.132 under at 80 mph and change), (and did not apply for a record which was minimum 16.95, plus change, again 8 May 2022 at Great Bend, KS he again qualified #1 in Stock 5196, EF/S...same car 16.51on a 17. 71 Index corrected factor @ 2,100 ft elevation track, again under the record at -1.198 (not mineshaft conditions under the AHFS rules on any of these 3 #1 Q -spot either), but again did not apply for the record....was still a minimum record nobody held as of June 2, 2022, then, at Brainerd, MN, June 3, 2022 he again Qualified #1 to top the Stock Category again, and flat Bombed the record same car the 83 Aeries Wagon 94 HP #1 5196 16.186 @ 84.34mph on a 17.45 Index -1.264 under, suffered an instant .20 Index reduction, then it looks like they bumped him up to 107 HP on a review after that event, as he also this time applied for both et and mph ends of the record which was published as of 7/14/2022, and I have already done the math, If I were to beat the ET of his record, suffer the same fate, then almost every lb. I dieted the car since January, I would need to put all that weight back on the car. However, when I ran it in GF/SA, my MPH was 84 plus, so it will beat his MPH easy 275 lbs lighter and much improved easy. And suffer zero penalty.

Then last weekend, he was back to qualifying #10 at Topeka, KS 5196 (Same Car but HP factored up to 107 and that is a lot heavier 19.495, 1st rnd loss @79.87 mph on a 17.45 Index , dialed 16.38 - 0.115 under...But his brother Brent in a DF/S with his 83 Charger (that in prior events ran heavier in EF/S), qualified #4 in Stock...same event-0.948 under., after Q-pass #1 he was #1. 15.50 dial, ran [email protected] over the dial 0.032 1st round win.

So, that is now a dangerous spot if an 84 2.2L Dodge Daytona Naturally aspirated TBI car, if carbed I can go look at it, but without a miracle and and a rule change that car cannot possibly fit in AF/S, and if we actually have the same car, same combo, and I am mistaken let's get together and get with the National tech Director and find out what's up ok? Thanks for reaching out also brother.

Now, if yours is the 146 HP, there has to be a Turbo on it, then Easily you are AF/S, and the entire Mopar History wiki is off, as was Dick Landy, and 1 if the engineers that was with me for 3 hrs in 1995 (in Memphis, TN), that helped develop the 84 Dodge Daytona TBI, because he was the 1 that clued me in, as to only year all the Daytona's in 84 were all TBI, they planned same for 85, but found it was such a slow snail sled, that the shelved the TBI edition for 85, added turbos to all of em, as my car was a Dec. 84 build it got the 84 intake, 15th week 84 Block, only 2 block choices, 2 intake choices, 2 head choices, 2 superceeded piston choices (plus the Stock mahle flat tops ), Ross Forged flat, or Mahle cast flat.

Lastly...If you can follow all the NHRA Stock Elim. rules, and run 12 seconds in these slow sleds (84' Dodge Daytona 2.2L TBI (single point Throttle Body Injected -non-turbo), then let's partner up and both get rich ok?!

Seriously my brother,, all joking aside...

my car is the slowest of slow rides, though working on attempting to make it the fastest now of the slowest category, while attempting to not put everything back in it I just took months to legally remove. And a bunch of cash in to do so, needless to say.

As the song says..."Slow riiiiide, take it easaaaay!, da dadaaaa drama, Slow ride, slow ride...."

Let's talk, whatcha really got? Fill me in please ok?

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
The 1984 model year was the first 2.2 Turbo and they are very common.

There are some 1984 differences as the wastegate is pneumatically controlled.

The 1985 2.2 Turbo Engine is the same but with electronic control.

Thanks
Randy

Link to a factory brochure.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts