Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, I am looking for a used set of factory Koni adjustable shocks and struts that were original to the 87 GLHS. If they need rebuilt, that is fine with me as long as they can be rebuilt.

Please PM with offers or additional questions.

Thank you,
Greg

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
There seems to be an upswing in "joined yesterday/I'm selling a car, joined yesterday/my buddy is selling...."

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think every post where I am looking for parts has been answered by someone who just joined. All scam/spam crap.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I just looked into one of the Koni authorized rebuild shops and they quote a price of $200 per shock.
I didn't find the cost for a strut rebuild, but if it's the same, that's $800 in rebuild alone, plus shipping.
The shock/strut/spring kit from www.fwdperformance.com is starting to look a lot more reasonable.

Reactions: GLHS0815

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just looked into one of the Koni authorized rebuild shops and they quote a price of $200 per shock.
I didn't find the cost for a strut rebuild, but if it's the same, that's $800 in rebuild alone, plus shipping.
The shock/strut/spring kit from www.fwdperformance.com is starting to look a lot more reasonable.
I agree 100%! Expect FWD setup is the way I will end up going on down the road. For now I just ordered two new KYB struts and still looking for rear shock options . I plan to to full front suspension replacement and the KYB is just so it feels safe to drive. Right now it pulls hard right even under light acceleration then darts left when you let off from accelerating due to the left input to counter the right pull. May just be alignment, but front suspension parts are cheap so I will establish a known base before I go all in on the FWD coil overs.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
The only thing I'm not certain about is that the fwdperformance site says "sold in pairs" and a price, but doesn't specify if that price is each, or for the pair.

If I could afford it, I'd buy the coil-over set with springs and keep the originals.
The nice thing about the set is you can adjust the ride height.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Price is for two.

Those prices do not include springs either. Dont remember if it included sleeves and snubbers. Either way you still need to get the mounts to install them

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Price is for two.

Those prices do not include springs either. Dont remember if it included sleeves and snubbers. Either way you still need to get the mounts to install them
It looks like it includes everything but the top strut mount, the jounce bumpers and the dust covers:

"Complete kit of coilovers, front and rear for the Shelby Charger, Turismo, Charger, and Omni.
Kit includes front struts, rear shocks, coilover sleeves, perches and hats and 4 coilover springs. The Koni's are adjustable in both height and dampening. We will call and confirm the spring rates after your order has been placed.
Use factory or aftermarket strut mounts (sold seperately)"

They sell the KYB strut mounts at $29 which includes the bearing:
FWDPerformance.com

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It looks like it includes everything but the top strut mount, the jounce bumpers and the dust covers:

"Complete kit of coilovers, front and rear for the Shelby Charger, Turismo, Charger, and Omni.
Kit includes front struts, rear shocks, coilover sleeves, perches and hats and 4 coilover springs. The Koni's are adjustable in both height and dampening. We will call and confirm the spring rates after your order has been placed.
Use factory or aftermarket strut mounts (sold seperately)"

They sell the KYB strut mounts at $29 which includes the bearing:
FWDPerformance.com
I was thinking about saving up and doing all four at the same time, but if I do the back operate from the fronts, its only $70 more. Guessing that is the route I will go unless I win the powerball.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I was thinking about saving up and doing all four at the same time, but if I do the back operate from the fronts, its only $70 more. Guessing that is the route I will go unless I win the powerball.
Or just wait a little longer.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any idea how hard it is to pulled the whole rear suspension out? I would like to pull mine, clean it up and re-paint it. It looks pretty straight forward and simple, almost too easy.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Any idea how hard it is to pulled the whole rear suspension out? I would like to pull mine, clean it up and re-paint it. It looks pretty straight forward and simple, almost too easy.
Not too hard, just a little messy and time consuming.
Brake lines have to be drained and disconnected at the T-fitting near the center of the "axle".
E-brake disconnected.
Shocks/springs too.
Hangers on each side unbolt.
Get two jack stands and a floor jack.
Maybe a couple of dollies to roll the assembly around.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts