Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my seals took a crap on my Garrett. Occasionally when I start it up when it's warm, as I back up I can see a cloud of blue smoke. It only started doing this a week after I installed the turbo. It did have minimal up and down, side and side shaft play, but it did have a bit of in and out play.

Is there any way I can really tell that my turbo is bad? What's the worst that could happen with this?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:( I think I may be forced to put the stock exhaust manifold on along with the mitsu, we have been spending almost a month battling my boost problems, there is just too much.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
yell at it louder.... itll straighten up.... if that doesnt work, just bribe it:deal: (ok, if you just stop smoking i PROMISE ill get you those nice shiny new braided lines....etc.)....

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
:bang head huh, i think i just figured out why im single....lmao

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lebaronguy2001 said:
:bang head huh, i think i just figured out why im single....lmao
ROFL! :laugh: I even cleaned her up to! Makes me cry. :'( lol

*EDIT* MWinkle told me to check my intercooler piping and compressor housing to see if I find oil. If I do find it there, then that means the seal on the compressor housing is shot, and my octane rating will drop to around 88 (Im using 94), causing me detonation. Buuuuut, if the seal on the turbine housing is gone, then itll just get burnt in the exhaust and Ill just smoke.

I am deciding what I want now...
1. Put the mitsu, and stock exhaust manifold on, HOPE TO THE TD-GOD's THAT IT WORKS!
2. Buy a rebuild kit, rebuild the Garrett
3. Buy a good used Garrett
4. Buy a rebuilt Garrett
5. Say EFFit! Buy a spanking new Super 60 from Turbos Unleashed

What to do??

·
Banned
1,471 Posts
Dave said:
I think my seals took a crap on my Garrett. Occasionally when I start it up when it's warm, as I back up I can see a cloud of blue smoke. It only started doing this a week after I installed the turbo. It did have minimal up and down, side and side shaft play, but it did have a bit of in and out play.
Are you running a BOV on this set up? Excessive shaft in and out play is caused by thrust bearing wear. With this kind of play the turbo will definitely need a rebuild.

Chris-TU

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chris W said:
Are you running a BOV on this set up? Excessive shaft in and out play is caused by thrust bearing wear. With this kind of play the turbo will definitely need a rebuild.

Chris-TU
Yes I am, I am using a 1990 Spirit BOV ghetto-dremeled out of its air box. How much do you sell rebuild kits for??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts