Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Hey man, I ran into the same thing on my Lancer. I needed new belt moldings and they were not available anywhere. I wanted a full set. What I had to do was get metal trim pieces from a 86 Lebaron, then i got some molding from JCWhitney. (#43). With a little work I was able to come up with a fix that was better than factory new. Here are some pics.

This is the original rear passenger door belt molding. A previous owner had hacked a chunk out of the seal, don't ask me why. lol :bang head

Here's another pic of the butchered molding.:bash:

A crappy pic of the 86 LeBaron trim, quite a bit different from the Lancer molding, but basically the same shape.:)

Belt molding number 43 from JCWhitney.:rolleyes:

This is a piece of 3/8 inch aluminum channel that I got at Ace hardware.:cool:

I glued the aluminum channel into the LeBaron trim piece with epoxy in this position to anchor attaching screws.:confused:

This is how it went together on top of the door flange, countersunk screws were put through the rubber, through the flange, into the aluminum channel:eek:

The finished project on the rear passenger door of the Lancer. The original plastic end pieces of the Lancer molding were removed and fitted to the Lebaron trim piece. They fit pretty close, I had to heat up one corner with a heat gun and squish it around to fit perfect.:D

You can compare the factory belt molding on the passenger front door with the one I fixed on the rear door. The factory molding in one piece, while the replacement I made is two pieces. The JCWhitney stuff worked good yo!!:thumb:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Most Excellent :cool:

inquired about new belt line seals for the shadow (dont need them thankfully)

1 dealer still had the drivers front outer seal for a 4dr left in inventory

$106+ shipping :eek:

·
Registered
221 Posts
has anyone tried universal seals from jc whitney? i think the body (doors and trunk) seals will work. but what about any of these:

ALL-RUBBER WINDOW CHANNELS - JCWhitney Auto Parts

INNER AND OUTER BELT WEATHERSTRIPPING - JCWhitney Auto Parts

ma mopar just loves discontinuing our stuff and its hard trying to find good seals here in tx

travis
one thing to watch out for when ordering aftermarket stuff it the hardness of the seal compared to the factory stuff.

ordered 2 rolls of the universal bulb weatherstrip from JCW for the door openings on the shadow. fitted it and cut to length but trying to close the doors felt like they were going to break the hinges off the door. very hard and not pliable & soft like the OE stuff. mounting depth wasnt correct either

So, an alternative is to order the door seals from vehicle's still supported by mopar or atleast their aftermarket equivelent and make it work

New Jeep Grand Cherokee Parts: Weatherstrip

the door opening seals on the first generation grand cherokee's are identical to 4 dr P body ones. length isnt I'm sure. but comparing the two @ the yard there identical. aftermarket complete set $100/4 seals

rear hatch seal from a ZJ or first generation grand cherokee is almost identical to the hatch seal on a P body also. trimmed about 1.5" off and it fits like a glove. $10 at the junkyard (also grabbed some other stuff)

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
the reason most weatherstripping is gone is because when people scrap off the ice and snow from the window, they come too close and hit the rubbers, its hard and brittle in cold weather so you end up ripping a nice chunk off....

I have no answer for yous down south that dont get snow :) dry rot perhaps???

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
my CSX came from Vegas and littlerally has nothing left of these. I am going to try this route this summer to deal with it. Good write up, hope it is easy on a Shadow

·
Registered
674 Posts
I used some from JC on my 78 Lesabre Turbo Sport Coupe, Worked just fine as long as you look at the profiles of the weather stripping to make sure you get the right dimensions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts