Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

Been a bit since I've been on here but just moved jobs and location. Finally got the turbo Dakota shipped out and already have the engine out to put some more hardware and money into her.

To the question:

I just removed my 40 over JE pistons and took the rods off to have new bolts pressed in. The spiral (spiro) locks that come with were a pain to put in and just as bad to take out. I'm looking to replace these with new, but am unsure what size I will need or where to get them.
It appears that the OD of the lock is right at 1" but I've found some on amazon that are just under or just over. Does anyone on here know what size exactly these spiral locks are so I can get some in the mail?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Measure the pin. When you find out that size it should be easy to figure out what part # you need. BTW, You should have 4 locks per piston, 2 per side. Could be .866, .901, .905, .912, .927. Those are the common sizes for our vehicles with custom pistons.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wrist pin is a .912 in size, but I haven't had much luck determining which size lock I will need based on this

I am finding sizes anywhere from .990 to 1.017 in.

Like I said, I measured the lock that I took out and came right to 1 in which doesn't help my case. I'm about to buy both sizes and see which one fits the best but figured I'd see if anyone knew off the top of their head

Thanks

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
My guess would be the 1.017" Spirolox, but don't guess. Have you contacted JE directly or Mike at Forward Motion? Mike has been selling JE pistons for a long, long, time. He would know. JE should be able to tell you if you can pull the job code # off one of the pistons. Either one should be able to tell you quickly. Doubt its the .990 if your old Spirolox is around 1.00",as you have to compress or wind in the Spirolox slightly on install.
BTW the Keith Black brand lock designed for .912 pin uses a 1.017" lock. Pulled that from Summit on-line catalog.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/uem-prl99-3

1 - 4 of 4 Posts