Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the motor completely installed in my White Spirit today and fired it up. Everything seems ok so far, except one thing is bugging me.

I can see that the section of timing belt from the new Idler location to the intermediate shaft is bouncing around more than I figured it would after this mod. Every other section of belt is smooth. I want to know if after this mod has been done, are any of you guys seeing any belt movement in this area?

If not, I'm thinking I need to add some more belt tension! I had got it set to around 85ft lbs (or so I think!) with the rocker shafts loose and lightly pulling the cams towards each other.

Also, what's a good idle vacuume reading on these motors? I'm getting 12-13inches of vacuume. Seems like it was higher with the old motor.

·
Holset Booster
3,536 Posts
Im guessing its a new timing belt on that engine? If so add some tension as it will stretch if it has not a little already. The belt should not "bounce" around like it did before with the stock belt routing. Get it up around 95 and re-check it when you put gas in it next.

What are you running for cams? With stockers idle vacuum should be 17-19. Stage 1s will be 14-16. If its as low as you say you might have the crank timing off 1 tooth.....

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went with a used belt in the hopes that I wouldn't have to deal with belt stretch and have to tension it after it was in the car. So much for that! Threw the gauge on it this morning, and pull on the Cams and got around 65 lbs! Gave it a little more tension and that issue got much better. Now I'll try re-tensioning it with the rocker shafts tight(which I didn't want to do) and go for around 90-95 and see how it goes.

With the vacuum issue..... I've had the half tooth off issue that someone else had on here since doing the idler pulley mod. I was hoping it would get better after running a little bit, but it's still the same. It either ends up a half tooth advanced or retarded every time.

·
Holset Booster
3,536 Posts
If it ends up being a half tooth off advance it. So the mark on crank gear will be to the rear of the car half a tooth. These motors like being advanced a little anyways....

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good, thats were I got the crank pulley set at. :thumb:

Now a small update:

In a total T3-newbe move, I tried starting the car with the cams pinned!:eek:
I was wanting to check fuel pressure in the middle of all this belt tensioning and half tooth off timing belt setting and forgot to pull my drill bits out.:bang head

Bent the bit in the intake cam, and broke the one in the exhaust! Had to pull the exhaust cam pulley off to get the rest of the bit out. Then I see that it had taken about five teeth off the belt at the crank pulley!

I had another used belt off the red Spirit, which has maybe 300 miles on it, but is at least 12 years old! I'm a little worried about that one due to its age, but it's on there, tensioned to 85-90 lbs, and is doing ok. Going to get a new one ordered and then this old one will be the back-up in the trunk!

The good news is that I got about 75 miles on it today, and I still have oil pressure!:dancing:

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
200 miles now and that Mopar timing belt that was probably manufactured in the 1990s is still holding strong!:banana:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts