Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked this up yesterday for a great deal from a local guy. Its an 87 caravan 5spd, with the motor/tranny from an 89 turbo, also has the brakes and wheels from an 89. Trailored it over to my place yesterday, driving it around today. Didn't have a radiator or battery when I got it, but I threw in a koyo I had laying around, new battery, and put on an HKS intake I had. I've modded a bunch of turbo imports, but this just looked like too much fun. Currently has the parts I mentioned above, a massive ford f250 intercooler, boost controller, bov, open dp, walbor 255, gauges, stripped interior. Have a whole bunch of piping and bends to fab the exhaust, might want to mate my stock evo 8 muffler on it just for shits and grins. Picked up some new 880cc injectors that I'll put on later after I rebuild the motor, want to go will all AN fittings, full painless wiring harness, bigger turbo, forged internals, would like to make 350-400hp on pump, more if I up the boost. Would like to keep the outside looking just as it is except for the tires/brakes, but want to be able to run 12's and go camping in it. I'll keep this updated as I toy with it, knowing how I am, I'll end up dumping way too much money in this, and going way overboard, heh.

I don't know anything about these motors what so ever, mostly a rotary/import guy, so I might be asking a few questions.

I'll have the videos uploaded tomorrow hopefully when I get to work, my connection at home is flakey.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GEEZ getting things done QUICK! Keep us updated for sure!
Yeah, I think I have ADD or something, I just couldn't let it sit without driving it. The vids really make the car look faster then it is too, I'm already looking for a parts to start the rebuild, any sites that have pistons/cams/anything would be great. I have a ton of after market parts laying around from just about every kind of car, so I just started throwing on what I had. After tearing up my neighborhood today, I'm hooked, I really want to go all out on this van.

Thought about swapping in a 4g63 just because the aftermarket is really good to them, but I may just stick with this motor for now. I really need to find somewhere that sells parts to these things, my bank account is just asking to be wiped out...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Buddy gave me these today for cheap, couldn't say no, 880 seems like overkill, so I guess I'll just have to get a gt35r or something stupid like that...

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Sounds fast! Welcome to the board. Our primaru vendor is fwdperformance.com
some good sources are thedodgegarage.com gusmahon.org minimopar and turbovan.net

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the links ya bastard.

I really need to do some research on this, I'm already ready to buy a new motor, but I dunno if I should keep the 2.5, or swap it out? I'd like to keep the stock mounts, don't really wanna have to fab up new mounts, because if I did, I'd just throw in something really insane...sooooo, what can easily be bolted in, wiring is not an issue, but tranny/motor fitment is.

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
depends on what you want for application. If you wanna drag race I would say go with a 2.2 turbo. For a street monster it would be a good idea to stay with the 2.5 because it will spool the turbo quickly, therefore you can run larger turbos and has gobs of torque to move that big heavy beast around. A cal from Front Wheel Drive Performance will supply you with easy bolt on power. Seems like a bad ass van. Hope to see more progress as you continue to do work

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
If you wanna get real creative you could go with a 2.4 turbo out of an srt 4. Of course you will have to fab the mounts but that will give you a ton of power and you will have a 16v head vs. an 8v head.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
whats the advantage of the neon head?

I'm not building this car for drag racing, just something way too fast for the street (in a van). Might take it to the strip a few times just to joke around in, but this isn't the ideal platform to start with obviously, so I'm just going to have fun with it. Wanna blow away ls1's while towing a jetski, rolling 8 people deep, haha.

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
standard head has 8 valves and has some flowing issues with high horse power unless ported extensively. The neon head is 16 valves, breathes better, and with the amount of porting work you could do to an 8 valve a 16 valve would be much better. With just a tiny bit of modifying the neon head goes on our 2.5 motors pretty well and you have that much advantage and make horsepower a lot easier with that upgrade.

·
We'll do it live!
7,614 Posts
Thanks for the links ya bastard.

I really need to do some research on this, I'm already ready to buy a new motor, but I dunno if I should keep the 2.5, or swap it out? I'd like to keep the stock mounts, don't really wanna have to fab up new mounts, because if I did, I'd just throw in something really insane...sooooo, what can easily be bolted in, wiring is not an issue, but tranny/motor fitment is.
I would just keep the 2.5. It has lots more torque. Instead just slap a 16 valve head on it (either a neon head or from a TIII car) If you're good with wiring putting in a 16 valve head from a daytona R/T or spirit R/T shouldn't be a problem, unless money is an issue. They tend to be costly

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well considering that I don't have to do the normal things I do to cars when I get them, like make the paint nice, interior nice, expensive wheels, suspention, etc, I'm just putting it all in the motor, haha. I'll look in to mating the 2.2 head, keep the suggestions coming!

·
We'll do it live!
7,614 Posts
RWD conversion to make more suitable for towing?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts