Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Snuck out with the Aries to get the exhaust finished (3" all the way out the back). Kid at muffler shop getting his Honda worked on looks over and sees 3" downpipe and is curious, walks under car and just loses it. He's doing the whole freak out thing. "Yeah I'd laugh at you and race you, and then get spanked!" I asked him not to share the "secret". I want a chance to get to the track and actually get a race :D

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Muffler guy suggested side exit to save $. I kind of wanted the sleeper look, although it is still a bit loud I should be able to get some action, as long as they don't hear the turbo spoolin' ;)!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds sweet, the catco convertor does very little to quiet it though. Every time you even touch the throttle you can hear the "whistle" of the garrett! They did a great job of tucking it up underneath, can barely see the 3" unless you're about 20' back.

·
Banned
4,729 Posts
Not sure what you got, but I know my 3'' is freakin loud. I have the .63 turbine, no cat, and only a bullet muffler....mine is also all the way out the back. At certain RPM's the resonance is almost too much to handle! It physically hurts my ears, I never thought it would be this loud, I'm told the .63 housing is the largest factor and I think it's true. I went from the mitsu to the T2 garrett and noticed a decent increase in exhaust loudness. I was running 2.5'' then, when I switched to the .63 turbine housing I also switched to 3'' at the same time so I had no way of judging the increase.
My BOV is the biggest reason I get races, turboXS type H at 22 PSI of super 70 boost attracts some head turns!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thankfully I won't be driving it much. Friday and Saturday nights mostly. Sure spools quick with 2.5" swingvalve. Also a bit more vibration too. Hit overboost this afternoon on another "test drive" so I think I got the wastegate can too tight. Hit before I could back out of it. Man this is gonna be fun! I know that kid was sure sucked in by it.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
I had my muffler man cut 45 deg angle off the end of my 3" system so its hard to tell how big it is........basically it doesnt look like a "performance" exhaust at all. The sound though kinda throws the whole idea out the window though.

Yeah I get really nasty backfire all the time when I let off over 2k.....around 2k in first gear and the cat is cold is great............the Catco does not seem to silence things much though, and even when running really lean she backfires nicely.....

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
moparzrule said:
Not sure what you got, but I know my 3'' is freakin loud. I have the .63 turbine, no cat, and only a bullet muffler....mine is also all the way out the back. At certain RPM's the resonance is almost too much to handle! It physically hurts my ears, I never thought it would be this loud, I'm told the .63 housing is the largest factor and I think it's true. I went from the mitsu to the T2 garrett and noticed a decent increase in exhaust loudness. I was running 2.5'' then, when I switched to the .63 turbine housing I also switched to 3'' at the same time so I had no way of judging the increase.
My BOV is the biggest reason I get races, turboXS type H at 22 PSI of super 70 boost attracts some head turns!
I was running the .48 TIII turbo and decided one night when I made my 3 inch DP, to remove the final cork, and decided to try side exit no muffler or cat-already 3 inch. I started it up, couldn't here myself think, it was so loud my shop vibrated. Gave it gas, was unbearable, a muffler got installed quickly.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I may re-think if I have trouble getting a race. For now I'll leave it and see if it'll pass emissions. First I need to take the preload off of the wastegate to stop overboost. Spiked to 17PSI right now quick. I knew it was gonna be too much.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I have a side exit on my 3.0 V6 and it sounds SWEET!! I have never heard a better sounding V6. I am just gathering my money to put a piggyback and supercharger or turbo (havent decided yet) on it. It will be one of the fastest 3.0's around when i done with it though...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
moparzrule said:
I went from the mitsu to the T2 garrett and noticed a decent increase in exhaust loudness.

Really? My Daytona and my van both have open downpipes at roughly the same spot. The Daytona has a mitsu and the van a Garrett....the Daytona is much louder! Could be that the Daytona has the 2.5" swingvalve while the van has a 2.25"......also could be that there is more room under the van for sound to escape...

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I did a 2.5in side exit on my 3.0 Spirit, with no muffler, just the stock resonator. Dunno what I was thinking, it was just a TAD bit painful. Loud enough that the drivers side rear door handle mechanism vibrated apart.

·
Registered
922 Posts
So what's done to the Aries? I'll race you in my New Yorker but it sounds like you probably have a little more into it. I'd like to see it anyways.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1989 Aries 4dr, plain white with crappy vinyl top. 2.5 with new rings and bearings/oil pump. TII garrett off of GLHS #411, Supra intercooler, Talon BOV, 2.5" swingvalve and now 3" exhaust. 413 trans has been modified and line pressure cranked up too. 4whl disc brakes (van fronts, lebaron GTS rear). Once I get frontend aligned and pass emmissions... I'll be ordering A/F meter and graingers. Extra injectors are waiting!
PM me for local contact info.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts