Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In reference to this thread
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f62/395051-konis.html

I'm thinking of going with this option. Sounds pretty straight forward. Take old strut drill hole to remove gas and oil. Cut the neck off the old strut to remove the old strut rod. Take the new Koni insert and machine off 1 3/8" for it to clear the bearing assembly. Assemble and you're done.

I have a question regarding the machining. Since the machining of the top of the strut rod is only for the purpose of clearance through the strut rod, could you not use a grinder/dremel and do it yourself (carefully of course and with patience)?

Also what kind of spring should be used with these koni's? Eibach's or shelby daytona?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Amazing timing on your post. I just ordered a set of Koni inserts this morning. After reading the excellent thread by 6daytonas:thumb:
Planning on careful use of an angle grinder for the machine work. :fingersx:
Ordered mine from 1xracing.com $228.01 shipped for the pair. I emailed them first and got a quick reply, said they had 2 in stock.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What inserts did you go with SRT4 ones? What springs are you looking to run with the Koni's?

·
Registered
236 Posts
What inserts did you go with SRT4 ones? What springs are you looking to run with the Koni's?[/QUOTE

Yes I ordered the Srt4 ones, they seem to be priced cheaper than the Subaru ones. I've got a pair of 275lb 2.5" ID. springs and a set of the cheap ebay coilover sleeves. Also picked up a pair of the Neon strut mounts last trip to the yard. I'm thinking it would be better to modify the strut tower and not the strut to keep the warranty good.
Since I don't have a rare or numbered car I have no problem attacking it with powered cutting tools :D

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I "machined down" my konis with my bench grinder and dremel tool. Took my time and they turned out pretty descent I think. I'm not too worried about my Koni warranty, these aren't that expensive after all (cheap monroes or other aftermarket struts run like $50-60 a piece so these aren't too bad). I need to get some paint on the old struts, now that I cleaned them up and put it all together.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Anyone done this on a later Shadow or Duster? Looks like it'd work, but I don't know enough about the suspension differences to tell.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shadow/duster/sundance have the same struts so the answer should be "YES"

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I got my new KONI's done yesterday. I picked up an exhaust pipe chain cutter and it worked great. Here's a couple pics of the work in progress. Note - strut I cut apart is a Monroe Sensitrac. After filing down the shape edges there is also a little bump inside the body of the strut housing I had to file down so the KONI insert would slide in easily. The KONI slide in about 80% of the way, then a block of wood and a couple hits with a hammer and it bottomed out and I could put the bolt in the bottom of the strut housing to hold it in place. The hardest part of the job was the machining (grinding) of the KONI insert. The rest went pretty easily. I did however spend quite a bit of time cleaing up the crusty old strut, POR15ing it and then painting it yellow.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts