Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

92 Daytona IROC 2.5CB 5speed, will soon be charged by a Garrett TII and a stock style rad/IC.

i need to get a full set of new struts and shocks in sommer or so, so i thought i'll ask you guys about the KYB GR-2 and the Gas-a-justs. remember i will keep the current springs i have and this is a sometimes-street-racing DD. i currently have PU motor&tranny mounts coming.
i would plan to use the gas-a-just all around, but i saw summit only has them for the rear on our cars, any other shops have them? also, how much of a difference are GR-2 and GAJ, and what about mixing them..?

oh and what about KYB AGX?

thank you,
greetz

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey harry,
any alternatives except konis? dont wanna spend that much you know.. well i saw some shops like car-stuff.com also carry monroe sensatrack, what are they like?
any opinions for the gas-a-justs?

thx

·
Registered
53 Posts
It won't be that floaty with GR2s.

Konis and Bilsteins have been discontinued. All you have to choose from are stock replacements, KYB GR2s, Sensatracs. These will all work about the same. They willl all be better than you worn stock ones, which is what is really impotant.

KYB does not make AGXs for our cars and they don't make the Gas Adjusts for the front.

Get the Gas adjusts for the back and the GR2's for the front. If you have a few extra dollars and alot of time and or skillz, replace all your bushings with urethane. If all you are looking for is DDing performance, this seems adequate. Replace all of your worn parts with better than stock.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi,

thanks for the input :thumb: now you mention it, i notice i cant find GAJ for the front, not only at summit but seemingly nowhere :/ i will probably get a full set of sensa-trac all around then.. do you know anybody on this board who has these in use?

any info on which bushings i should replace? as said i got a full new set of johnny's bushings for motor+tranny+alt. i would just want to have a nice suspension-specific shopping list for my next order, which will be in about july/august ;)

thanks

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
are the KYB front struts for non-L they have GR2 or gas-a-just? not that i dislike cindy, but she rarely responds my emails.. prefer that over telephone (remember i'm in europe..) anybody got some info?
oh, and also if somebody using the sensatracs could chime in her would be very much appreciated, thanks

·
RIP
1,363 Posts
We have Eibach springs, KYB GR2's on front and KYB Gas Adjust on my Son's 93 Daytona 2.5 Turbo, A568. He is also running 225/45/17 tires, and it handles very nice. Maybe a "Little" floaty in front, but definately NOT bad. We got it all from FWDPerformance. We still have the stock springs, if anyone is interested in USED STOCK Springs. We do have pics if interested.

·
Registered
13,525 Posts
Just wait, KYB GR-2 front struts will not last long. They lasted about a year with my stock springs in my 89 Daytona Shelby. Then, it's floaty ride and no better than 15 years old struts. When I took the GR-2 out and push on it, they never ever come back up.

Gas-A-Just are alright, they do a decent job.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i asked cindy and they said the kyb front struts they have are the GR2. so i guess i will end up using the monroe sensatracs. i'm gonna order them from rockauto.com. anybody want sensatracs for the front too? they are 45$ and they currently have a "Buy 3, Get the 4th Unit FREE!"
pm me :thumb:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Sensatrac struts seem to be the best we can do for the front of our cars now, with Bilstein and Koni now pretty much out of the picture. I know I'm going to be putting Sensatrac struts on the front of my Dad's Daytona later this summer but I know I'll be missing the cut-off for Monroe's promotion. I think it ends on May 31st, right? I just installed all 4 shocks & struts on my brother's Lincoln Mark VII (all sensatrac) so at least he'll be able to take advantage of that.

KYB Gas-a-Just is only available in shock absorber form; they are not available at all as struts. So for about 80% of the cars out there, they can only go on the back (if they have straightforward shocks in the back, not struts). Some other lucky vehicles can have Gas-a-Justs on all 4 corners, like older fullsize GM/Ford v8 cars, or my dad's GMC Safari - it has straighforward shocks all around so it has the potential. In reality though, I only put Gas-a-Justs in the back, up front I put in GR-2s. They were better than the old dead front shocks, of course, but I like it that way because we use that van for long roadtrips.

It's not just us that can't really find better-than-decent struts anymore. I couldn't find anything for my Grand Vitara either. There's nothing out there because I haven't raised my GV for off-roading. I really wanted to find something good because I use it for road-rallying, and in the winter the frost heaves can be really rough when you're trying to hold a 63km/h average speed on twisty icy roads. So I was stuck with, you guessed it, Monroe Sensatrac. Now I know I need rear shocks for my GV too. Guess what I'm gonna get? Yep, KYB Gas-a-Just.

James

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hey guys,

92 Daytona IROC 2.5CB 5speed, will soon be charged by a Garrett TII and a stock style rad/IC.

i need to get a full set of new struts and shocks in sommer or so, so i thought i'll ask you guys about the KYB GR-2 and the Gas-a-justs. remember i will keep the current springs i have and this is a sometimes-street-racing DD. i currently have PU motor&tranny mounts coming.
i would plan to use the gas-a-just all around, but i saw summit only has them for the rear on our cars, any other shops have them? also, how much of a difference are GR-2 and GAJ, and what about mixing them..?

oh and what about KYB AGX?

thank you,
greetz
Have you look into Gabriels and I just looked at some old Direct connection part catalogs and the high performance strut were by Monroe! I got the LRE lowered springs and I would love to go with KYB's but everyone ripping them for not lasting that long. So I'm gonna shop around and find something that works. Cause if they are bouncy with stock springs, then they will be worse with heavier springs!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hey, I did a little bit of research regarding struts/shocks for the Shelby Charger since everyones whining about how bouncy KYB's are... The Monroe Sensatracs are for shelby applications when speaking of L-bodies, I didn't research the G-bodies...Now what I found were Gabriel Ultras with that velocity control like the sensatrac! they're around $40/front and $20/rear and you can find them @ AutoZone, Allpro, Bumper to Bumper, CarQuest on online @ Gabriel.com/premium passenger cars

·
Registered
285 Posts
You do not want Sensatracs. I had them on a Daytona and a Shadow. They are awful. Firmness goes out quickly and and they do not last. I've replaced all of them after less than 2 years. I bought some when they had a special going. Don't waste your money like I did.
I've used the KYB's even with rally road springs on the front and they held up well. I finally went to Konis on the front and now use the KYB's on the front and back of a Shadow with Daytona Shelby springs.
KYB's aren't Koni's but they are way ahead of a Sensatrac.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts