Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have an 85 GLH-T which I just got back out for the season after being put up for the winter. One of my 1st projects is to get the correct steering knuckles on it. It has (I believe) Daytona knuckles on and it wont align properly. It has a great deal of positive camber and as such has 'Death Wobble' at about 55mph. I am having a diffucult time even finding a set of GLH or Shelby Charger knuckles, but I can get a set of regular Omni knuckles. My question is are all L-body knuckles the same, or must I use a set from a GLH or Shelby Charger?

Thanks in advance
Chris

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
sorry, you need a GLH or S/C hubs if ya want the big bearings and big brakes

L-body steering knuckle
4052 844-5 w/ 1.6, 1.7, 2.2, and 2,2 H/P w/o Perf Pkg
4322 756-7 w/ 2.2 Turbo, & 2.2 H/P w/ Perf Pkg

download the pdf parts catalogs, theyre fun !

·
Registered
127 Posts
I had this same problem with my Shelby charger. It had g body knuckles on it when I got the car, and they really don't fit. Detobias is right you really need to get turbo l body knuckles. Sadly they can be had to find it took me about a year to get a set.

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
i would put up a parts wanted ad in the parts wanted section and see if somebody on here has a set

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks All! I have located a set, on the left coast, lol But they are a GLH set of knuckles, maybe my Car will align now and get rid of the Death Wobble lol

·
Registered
315 Posts
So what exactly is the difference between the knuckles? I was told and am under the impression that the top of the g body knuckle where it bolts to the strut is a bit wider than Lbody and just needesld to be machined down a few millimeters. So there is a bigger difference huh? I was plannin on puttin big brakes on my 89 omni.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I took a set of knuckles out of an 88 horizon and pressed out the 4 bolt hubs and installed new 5 bolt hubs from a glh and had no problems, are you sure the knuckles are different and its just not the hub assembly? I got the hubs cheap for like $25 a piece new online and have not had any problems, probably cheaper than buying and shipping knuckles.

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
I took a set of knuckles out of an 88 horizon and pressed out the 4 bolt hubs and installed new 5 bolt hubs from a glh and had no problems, are you sure the knuckles are different and its just not the hub assembly? I got the hubs cheap for like $25 a piece new online and have not had any problems, probably cheaper than buying and shipping knuckles.
yes you can do this to get 5-lug wheels,
but you have not gotten the larger wheel bearings or larger ventilated front disc brakes that ChryCo intended for the performance L-body's

if you drive the car hard, be ready for :
brake fade,
frequent pad/rotor replacement,
and frequent wheel bearing replacement

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
not sure about the wheel bearing size , but try to get bearing with steel cages - the plastic o-e style won't last long

also , if your wanting to add the vented brakes to the car , you NEED knuckles from a car with the vented brakes

the spaceing for the caliper mount bracket bolts changes between the non vented L body and vented L body

ie , you cannot put vented brakes on a non vented brake car without changeing the knuckles too

1 - 10 of 10 Posts