Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just need to know if the brake hoses ( caliper to frame) on an L-body are interchangeable from side to side other than the bracket that holds it to the strut. I need my charger up and running for Monday and I have a bad hose on passenger side. The local parts place only has the drivers side ( of course) . could I use this ?

·
Super Moderator
6,975 Posts
the last i knew you could use it as a last resort, make sure you use something to hold it away from the wheel and make sure you order the correct one, i wouldnt put this on and leave it for good.

·
Administrator
10,119 Posts
same thing but bracket. Best to order the right one and use the wrong one as a temp

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figure if I'm gonna go thru the process of bleeding brakes, may as well put a pair on . So I'm ordering them up.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok...not to sound like I've never wrenched before....but, the brake hose fitting at the frame. Froze like a Bastard, and of course rusty.
Any hints on getting it off ? Soaked it with Blaster last night. Gonna get some line wrenches today to get a better grip. What exactly is the size of the hex on these ? I assume mine are OEM from 1987 .
...and can I hit them with heat ?

·
Administrator
10,119 Posts
get an expensive mm tubing wrench, a 6 sided unit. Then do not try at all to pry it lose, ping them lose smacking the wrench with a hammer. WD40 and such works good to help. Once you pry on them they crush and them tighten on the hard line. Then you fight rust and a pinch to the pipe.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"Pope" you should write a book on the vast knowledge you have on the cars ...lol :thumb:

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Not sure if you got this sorted out yet or not...

I have a set of flare nut wrenches that I bought 15 years ago for just such an emergency. I've found them to be one of the least useful tools in my tool box. They work well on new fittings, but are virtually useless on anything that is rusted.
Borrow or buy a good torch (I got a mini oxy torch for about $70) and some fluid film or other penetrating oil. WD40 is not a penetrating oil, but is better than nothing. If you carefully heat the fitting, and are patient, you can in most cases work it loose. A small pair of vise grips will work best for the fitting, just don't clamp it tighter than you need to.
Remember that if you are removing the brake hose, you can cut the hose and turn the hose off the hard line if you can't get the fitting to turn on the metal tubing. Patience, heat, and lubricant and you should be OK.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Threads came loose nice, the the durn thing broke off at the line.......somedays I feel Murphy is my patron Saint :rolleyes:
Also as a heads up to anyone reading this.......
DO NOT PUT YOUR CALIPERS ON THE WRONG SIDES !!!!!! They will NEVER bleed, and it is so easy to mess them up if you don't pay attention to the bleeder location.
:withstupi: DoH!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts