Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an 87 GLHS and both doors would greet you with a loud POP if opened too far. I got to looking at it and both doors check forward mounts have broken away from the sheetmetal. Does anyone have an easy way to do a temp fix for this or should I just live with it until I can get a good and proper repair done. I was thinking about making some sort of metal plate that slides over the arm and rivet or bolt it to the check mount, then attach it to the sheets metal.

I imagine the best way would be to somehow weld in new metal and attach the mount to that.

20210108_205741_resized.jpg
?

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
I remember a few L-bodies that I owned that developed that popping noise, but not the hole you show in the pic.
I would find a good body shop that can cut away any rot there may be, reweld any parts that broke loose and add sheet metal to the holes.

Reactions: GLHS0815

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I remember a few L-bodies that I owned that developed that popping noise, but not the hole you show in the pic.
I would find a good body shop that can cut away any rot there may be, reweld any parts that broke loose and add sheet metal to the holes.
Whats crazy is that as far as I can see, there is zero rust in that area. It just seems the sheet metal broke from repeated flexing of doors opening and closing.

Whenever I get the car painted, I will let a body shop repair it. For now my fix is not opening the door all the way. lol

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Whats crazy is that as far as I can see, there is zero rust in that area. It just seems the sheet metal broke from repeated flexing of doors opening and closing.

Whenever I get the car painted, I will let a body shop repair it. For now my fix is not opening the door all the way. lol

Poor weld quality.
L-bodies were the very first transition cars between the Old and the New Chrysler Corp.
The 2.2L engine was brand new for 1981 and it was an option over the 1.7L.
When I bought my 1981 Plymouth TC3, there was dirt or welding flash under the paint where the A pillar meets the cowl.
The cam lasted just longer than the warranty.
That car had the same problem with the doors that yours has.

Reactions: GLHS0815

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
When my body shop was working on GLHS #0325, they didn't like the way the doors opened and closed and changed out the bushing in the door hinges with larger ones from a Jeep as far as I can remember.
All I know is, it never closed and sealed that good even when it was new.

Reactions: Glhs60 and GLHS0815

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts

mmm... yeah..twelve years on site and you're the first I've seen to post it ..."cred" lol

a buddy bought an 84 lazer back in the spring of '85

cam went out of it by mid summer

there was a service bulletin for the issue and a replacement (at no cost- warranty) cam and follower set

the old followers looked more like the mopar performance ones with the insert for the cam to run on ... which made me look at the M-P ones a little sideways when I first saw them too

lol..
same buddy
same dodge dealer
-brand new Shelby Daytona (almost 24K cdn - no missing options)
new for '89 non-asbestos clutch discs..

- service bulletin..

if back in a few weeks after purchase REPLACE CLUTCH..NO CHARGE

nice for buddy .. was his first car with a manual trans so big bonus .. learn to drive clutch...
get free replacement

I have no idea if the replacement clutch would be the same as the one on build day (?)

·
Premium Member
995 Posts

mmm... yeah..twelve years on site and you're the first I've seen to post it ..."cred" lol

a buddy bought an 84 lazer back in the spring of '85

cam went out of it by mid summer

there was a service bulletin for the issue and a replacement (at no cost- warranty) cam and follower set

the old followers looked more like the mopar performance ones with the insert for the cam to run on ... which made me look at the M-P ones a little sideways when I first saw them too

lol..
same buddy
same dodge dealer
-brand new Shelby Daytona (almost 24K cdn - no missing options)
new for '89 non-asbestos clutch discs..

- service bulletin..

if back in a few weeks after purchase REPLACE CLUTCH..NO CHARGE

nice for buddy .. was his first car with a manual trans so big bonus .. learn to drive clutch...
get free replacement

I have no idea if the replacement clutch would be the same as the one on build day (?)
I read somewhere years later, that the first run of 2.2L engines in 1981 had problems with the cams.
I had a lot of problems with the dealer and servicing the car while I owned the '81 TC3.
Still loved the car though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts