Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yea.. so i bought a door for the right rear of my omni to replace the damaged one. got it from the junkyark, i ordered it for an 86. the reciept says 87 omni, and i believe the door said 90 omni on it. the problem is the the hinge is welded onto the door about a 1/2 inch higher than my original. of course the door does not close. anyone aware of any differences between the 86 and 90 doors? would chrysler actually change the position of the hinges on later models? that would seem silly, but some things never cease to amaze me with cars.

· Registered
175 Posts
yea.. so i bought a door for the right rear of my omni to replace the damaged one. got it from the junkyark, i ordered it for an 86. the reciept says 87 omni, and i believe the door said 90 omni on it. the problem is the the hinge is welded onto the door about a 1/2 inch higher than my original. of course the door does not close. anyone aware of any differences between the 86 and 90 doors? would chrysler actually change the position of the hinges on later models? that would seem silly, but some things never cease to amaze me with cars.
I pretty sure that there is no difference between the years. I replaced the doors on a 85 glht from a 89 omni. Two of the doors lined up not bad but the other two were way off. I ground off the door hinge from the body side and rewelded it into the proper location. Not very hard to do if you have a welder but it does take some time. From what I can remember they have 2 pinchweld
points that also need to be drilled out. You can find them if you lightly grind down the paint on the flat part of the hinge. They are close to 1/2 inch in diameter. Hope this helps. I think Chrysler just put the doors up to the body with the both pieces of the hinge on the door side and where they lined up is where it got welded...no precision there!

Chris

· Helping when I can
1,327 Posts
yeah, its welding time fun. if you have a big-a$$ spot wlder and a fancy door-holder-upper you'll be set

· Registered
4,833 Posts
I have done the whole remove the pins and bent the hinges. In the process, I broke 2 of them. But the biggest problem with the whole l-body door hinges is that each door is different, and from the factory, they lined the door up to it's proper location then welded it onto the car, so not all doors are truly lined up for each other. But all of the doors from the Omni/Horizon will work for all years. Like the Charger/Turismo will work for every year after 82, the will even work on the Rampage/Scamp GT but the window will have to be changed since they were different between the two body styles. The best results that I had in changing the doors on my car was removing the door, grinding it down, and welding on the new bracket. Good Luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.