Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am in search for a shifter boot for my L body SC. I'd prefer a useable one, but all I really need is the plastic shroud that mounts into the console itself.

Also, I need the reclining mechanism for an L body driver seat. Mine is stuck in the "perma-lean" position.

Want pics, info, and price shipped to 45014!

Thanks!

Edit: not looking for a good shifter boot specifically, willing to buy a worn one with the plastic shroud.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Think your gonna find most reclining seat mechanisms to be at least one notch short of where they were from the factory. Not sure why this was such a problem on the l-bodies, but it obviously was. I've seen many fail at less than 30k miles. I think it depends a lot on how often they were used.
Shifter boots without tears in rubber pleats in corners will be a problem too. Those who have them, don't want to give them up. I had a friend with GLHT that needed one years ago. Pleaded with me to give him my spare. So I gave it to him. First words out of his mouth was, "good, now I don't have to use my NOS one". I was like WTF? Sad but true story...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My seat mechanism is way more than 1 notch off. I'm tempted to try to repair the one i have, but with it being as far off as it is. Without seeing a good one, I'm not even sure if I'd be able to see what is even broken/missing in the first place.

And as far as a shifter boot. I'm not too concerned with one in good condition. I'm regretting selling my pristine one off my car years ago, I thought I wouldn't be able to use it, or even the factory console going to a newer transmission. But right now, I only want that plastic part that mounts into the console itself, I can work around/replace the worn rubber. I should have specified more.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I may have a L-body seat reclining mechanism on my bench. IIRC, it is pretty hard to see exactly what is worn or broke. If I find it, I'll shoot some pics of mine. Not sure the mechanism come apart easy. Might be riveted together. They're kind of tricky to even get off. You need to remove some of the upholstery hog rings IIRC. Once upon a time, I was trying to count the clicks or notches to figure out which ones were good and which ones weren't. Sixteen kind of rings a bell. I'll be back in touch.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's different from the one I have. Hmm... I do know im missing something on the portion that releases the seat to allow it to fold forward. But there's something else broken because that system doesn't determine the upright position as far as I know.

So my mechanism will reset to the proper upright position. But when it's sat in and you sit back, it leans back until it clicks once. It acts like the knob that you rotate to set the lean position is stuck until you hit a certain position. Which looks to be around 15-20 degrees from the upright position.

On another note, my passenger seat goes back on click. But i can deal with that. Nobody will be allowed to use the reclining thing in this car ever again lol.

I've attached pics

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bump! Also, changed what I'm looking for. Not looking for a shifter boot now, only wanting the trim piece that comes with the boot! Boot can be torn or non-existant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts