Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for people that have done the mods to the front brake upgrades on the l-body's. I am doing this on my 87 glhs and will only be doing the front. What pieces did you use and how well did it help out.
My glhs brakes decent but not good for quarter mile stops at the track. I would like to hear about real world set-up's as opposed to "should work" ideas. Thanks

I have read about the slh packages, but looking for more info.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
I upgraded my Omni GLH brakes with the entire brake system from my Shelby Lancer. I upgraded my SL to 11" R/T brakes, so the GLH got the hand-me-downs.

Everything bolted right up. On the front I had to change out the caliper bracket that bolts to the knuckle, but that was about it. I had the rotors resurfaced and bought new pads for an '87 Lancer. I also used the prop valve from my SL, and a 24mm master cylinder. The 24mm MC might have been too much for this setup however, because the brake pedal was very hard and didn't have much modulation. The car stopped RIGHT NOW! I could float in my front seat against the seat belt coming down off an interstate off-ramp. By far the best braking car I've ever driven, although I haven't driven many sports cars so I can't really say how it compares. I felt a lot safer driving it though.

I'm about to upgrade the front brakes again, with the front brakes from an '89 turbo Caravan. I bought reman calipers, new rotors, and new pads from CSK, all of which were surprisingly inexpensive. I'd love to see how my Omni would compare to a Lancer EVO VIII in a real world braking test now..

·
Banned
4 Posts
This is going to be the best bet for recipies.

http://www.xmission.com/~dempsey/shelby/slhpkgs.htm

I have the minivan brakes up front and disks in the rear out of a shelby Z. stops on a dime. I actually had a bit of difficulty adjusting back to the shadow's braking capability last fall when I put the omni away for the winter.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just picked up some minivan k-H brakes. Already installed them. I got the master cylinder as well. I will post some pics. of the difference when I get more time. Anyone run the mini. brakes on a charger w/out using the prop. valve? Thats the only thing I didn't get. It was getting too hot outside.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
For what you are doing you dont need to change the
prop valve. You are gaining swept (pad surface area)
up front but without rear discs your prop will be fine.

I use 89 mini front pads/calipers, 94 v-6 rear vented
Daytona rotors, same 94 gave up prop and 24mm master
that is same as the 24mm D-150 unit. Stops unreal, with
a LOT of weight removed from rear of car and front now
heavier than stock GLHT I need to pull a little pressure
from rears for high speed braking in corners.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are the pics. The brakes are the K-H that were on a 87 caravan. The factory brakes were off of a 87 glhs. I should know how well it works soon. I have too many other things going on now. New griffin radiator needing to make brackets, the cross member is out of the car putting manual rack in and welding some spots up and the F.A.S.T. still needs some fine tuning. Should be fun.

1st pic. The top pads are the stockers, bottom from the caravan
2nd pic. left pic is the 60 mm, the right is the stocker
3rd pic. Caravan brakes installed
4th pic. Stock set-up

Attachments

·
Registered
137,665 Posts
Yeah, can you post a pic of the guide pin bracket that holds the outer pad on? I got a set of calipers from a guy a while back, but they looked exactly like my old ones. I was thinking I didn't have the right calipers, but now I'm not sure.

Thanks,

minigts

·
Registered
442 Posts
MVaughn said:
I just picked up some minivan k-H brakes. Already installed them. I got the master cylinder as well. I will post some pics. of the difference when I get more time. Anyone run the mini. brakes on a charger w/out using the prop. valve? Thats the only thing I didn't get. It was getting too hot outside.
Dude, how have you never done this before? I thought you were old school.

Anyway, I ran mini fronts for years, totally kicks ass. I now have vented rear discs (now=last 3 years) and the braking with the mini fronts is still the way to go in my opinion. The discs are nice, but lots of work and weight for only a slight (if that) increase in braking.

I do find the bigger MC provides a firmer pedal which I like, so I have the RAM Van / d150 MC in my car, gives a super solid pedal w/ 4w disc. Even a small MC upgrade on the minivan calipers would probably help to stiffen up the pedal.

·
Registered
442 Posts
FYI, after having a friend debate me on the swept area of the minivan pad (he insisted the minivan's main increase was the backing plate size) I measured the surface area of both pads.

The minivan pads are exactally 25% larger in friction surface area than the stock GLH pad. Not a bad increase for a quick swap !

seth said:

Anyway, I ran mini fronts for years, totally kicks ass. I now have vented rear discs (now=last 3 years) and the braking with the mini fronts is still the way to go in my opinion. The discs are nice, but lots of work and weight for only a slight (if that) increase in braking.

I do find the bigger MC provides a firmer pedal which I like, so I have the RAM Van / d150 MC in my car, gives a super solid pedal w/ 4w disc. Even a small MC upgrade on the minivan calipers would probably help to stiffen up the pedal.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
3.0 acclaim said:
did you have to use the 60 mm brackets ir did the 54mm brackets fit?

Used the 60mm, All you need is the adaptor and caliper (and pads) which were brand new on the van. There are only three bolts to take off. The two 18mm adaptor bolts and the brake line fitting. Takes about 2mins. to do each side.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
seth said:

pedal.

I tend to look in a straight line and worry about braking as a second thought. :D I think I just have been too lazy in that department, so I am looking to do a few things (brakes and handling) while it is apart.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts