Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to add AC to my Rampage project and would like to make it as stock as possible.

Anyone out there with a nice L body HVAC box?

I'd like to make this as bolt-in as possible. I know I'll have to cut a new opening for the expansion valve, and do all the internal (duct) and external (pressure / suction) lines, but I have most of that hardware.

The current AC box I have is an aftermarket one from a parts car, but someone did a bit of a hack job mating the non AC heater box to the aftermarket AC parts.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I'm looking to add AC to my Rampage project and would like to make it as stock as possible.

I'd like to make this as bolt-in as possible. I know I'll have to cut a new opening for the expansion valve, and do all the internal (duct) and external (pressure / suction) lines, but I have most of that hardware.

The current AC box I have is an aftermarket one from a parts car, but someone did a bit of a hack job mating the non AC heater box to the aftermarket AC parts.
I have one.

I had taken the lid off to clean out any dirt or leaves etc, but it's all there.
You'd have to get an A/C evaporator core, as this was out of a heater only car.
(Same box, just no evaporator core, and the A/C lines hole is covered with a sponge gasket)

I'll snap a couple pics of it tomorrow, and return to post them.

PM me an offer on it; it would be shipped from 18708.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the pics. Looks like there is one more mounting stud on this box than I thought. It may still work, but I would have to see where the studs line up.

If you can post another picture - that will help. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I took new pics of the housing, but I have to get a new USB cable for my phone to PC.
If there's a way to upload them directly from the phone, that'll be great!
I just can't seem to find a way to do it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi -

Thanks for all the close up pictures of the heater box. Looking at this a little closer, I don't think the mounting studs will line up on earlier L bodies. This is from a '90 right? There were so many changes for 1990 I forgot that there would be one to the heater box too.

I really appreciate the effort in checking out this part, but I'll have to pass.

Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BUMP -

Still looking for a L Body Heater Box with AC to fit my '83 Rampage.

Looking for one that matches up to the 2 studs for stock location of heater box (see pic)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
In 83, the A/C & non-A/C boxes were completely different. Even the fresh air inlet was in a different location(non-A/C in the center, A/C off to the passenger side). I don't believe you will find anything that just "bolts up". A factory A/C box will require cowl modifications to relocate the air inlet, as well as holes for the A/C lines.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
BUMP -

Still looking for a L Body Heater Box with AC to fit my '83 Rampage.

Looking for one that matches up to the 2 studs for stock location of heater box (see pic)
If you're not going to use that heater only box, I'd REALLY like to get it.
If you'd be interested in selling it, let me know.

Thanks. :thumb:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In 83, the A/C & non-A/C boxes were completely different. Even the fresh air inlet was in a different location(non-A/C in the center, A/C off to the passenger side). I don't believe you will find anything that just "bolts up". A factory A/C box will require cowl modifications to relocate the air inlet, as well as holes for the A/C lines.
Now I really need to look at a factory AC heater box for an '83. I knew I would have to cut a square hole for the AC lines / expansion H valve, and another for the drain, but was hoping that the mounts and air inlet would line up the same.

If nothing stock from the factory works, I may have to go the custom route, and refurbish an aftermarket unit I have from one of my parts cars..... I just didn't like the way it was run through the bulkhead/firewall.

Still hoping there is an AC heater box out there that will fit nice. If I find one, I'll have a nice non-AC unit for signsoflife22 :D

·
Banned
866 Posts

The older dash 1978-84 with newer AC It's tight but all the newer OEM parts 1984-89 fit fine in the space under your dash properly !:D
some holes in firewall need to be cut and drilled and one needs to be filled in the cowl in the center and moved to the passenger side:dancing:

The cowl is your only problem it needs to be changed for AC to fit under the dash into the cowl properly !

mike0007TD!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts