Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I am building one, but it is about 2 years off yet. Right now the car is just a frame. Currently using a 2.4L Caravan intake manifold.

If I were doing it again, I would have bought a 2.4 and made it fit the charger like Ohiorob instead of all this fabrication BS. More difficult for a 5 speed. Easiest with a 413 auto.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just started mine and spent almost $100 on drill bits and taps to use on the block and head.If I did that over again i would have bought them online instead of local.Intake is off a 98 Stratus and exhaust is from a 99 Caravan but I might change the intake to someones I saw on this forum.I should have more info for you in the next few weeks.

Are you thinking of switching over to the dark side?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
With the FAST, are you able to control fuel and spark for our turbo dodge's? Their new X.F.I. looks pretty darn good, but around 3 grand is tough to swallow.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With the fast, there is not any computers running the car. Just a bare min. wiring harness and the fast harness w/ the fast computer. Things like fuel pump priming (in seconds), spark, fuel ratios (which it will change for you), fan temp on/off, injector sizing, ect. can all be changed with a keystroke. Yeah, it expensive but I am not one to have someone burn a chip, then I make a change then have to resend it back, ect.....Just not my idea of fun. I am sure the companies making them would disagree.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FAST is a stand alone fuel management system. Many will say that you don't need a stand alone system, but to each his own. I like to change parts and don't like shelling money out each time I do it. Plus I can take the system off and use it on most any other car. Some people use the SDS system which is a good system but I wanted the wideband O2 sensor which isn't offered by SDS that I know of. There are other systems as well like AEM....

·
Registered
819 Posts
Check out the sds page they now come standard with wideband datalogging and narrow band it reads out right on the hand held lcd monitor the good thing is they didnt raise the price either and you dont have to have a laptop.There tech support is the best every time you call they answer and are glad to help.Im going to run mine on my 2.4 with the lm1 wideband because I already had it.

·
Registered
819 Posts
cj011 said:
With the FAST, are you able to control fuel and spark for our turbo dodge's? Their new X.F.I. looks pretty darn good, but around 3 grand is tough to swallow.
Especially when you can get sds for less than half that price.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I don't think Megasquirt or SDS can do sequential and do not offer individual cyinder control for fuel/spark. Even if I run 4 megasquirts, one for each cylinder I still cannot datalog and no sequetial. God knows how it would be possible to figure out the ignition aspect to that one. Yes SDS can datalog a wideband, but what else? By the time I were to get the addtional data logging equipment I am not to far off the price for FAST and I have several systems working together that who knows how well that may come out. For myself, the only low buck big bang that may come somewhat close to FAST is VEMS, but I am waiting to find out if it can be modified to do individual cylinder work.

MVaughn, I am curious but did you go to crank trigger or are you still using the Dodge distributor and FAST is controlling that ? Can FAST datalog 4 EGT's and 4 CHT's at the same time?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I am running a modified ford dist. but can go to the crank dist. if I need to. You do not need a sequential for our or most any other application. It has been proven (even by the company) that there is not any real advantage other than running very large injectors and keeping driveablity. I am running 72 pph inj. and there isn't any idle issues at all. It does data logging at one keystroke but have not seen any e.g.t. recorders, but just about any other sensor can be analyzed. I chose the fast as it has been around for a good while and alot of tuners are used to the tuning of it just in case I can't get the tune the way I need it. I don't have experience in the SDS but I have heard they have great tech. support which is more than I can say about FAST.

Let's get back on the original topic if you don't mine. PM if you need to ask any more questions. :)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I'm going to be putting one together this year. I'm using the Tlll motor with 413 auto. I don't know if you would call it a hybrid and Yes I'm using SDS also. You know everybody on this end of Va uses SDS. It's going in my 87 GLHS. will call it the "bryanater" j/k

Wayne

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
kedavis said:
Check out the sds page they now come standard with wideband datalogging and narrow band it reads out right on the hand held lcd monitor the good thing is they didnt raise the price either and you dont have to have a laptop.There tech support is the best every time you call they answer and are glad to help.Im going to run mine on my 2.4 with the lm1 wideband because I already had it.

Thats nice that they switched to that. Easier tuning that is for sure. I didn't see where it changes the a/f ratio for you on demand. Maybe I missed that. Either way it's still a nice system. No need to run a dist. when you get the coil packs but you need to make up a trigger for the crank, which isn't hard to do. Maybe next time I will try that system. I am happy with the FAST so far, but like to see what other systems have to offer as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts