Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got my 81 Omni running after a turbo swap. I am running a 2.5, a mitsu, n/a pistons, a MP sbec, 90 Horizon k-member + control arms + manual rack(the plastic bushing was replaced), 93 Sundance brakes + struts + knuckles + front springs, and the boost reference is ran straight to the waste gate, so I should be running 5 or 6 psi of boost.
My dad and I have both driven my Omni and when you get on the throttle the car pulls left. When you let off the throttle, the car pulls right, but when braking, the car moves straight. We have checked the bushings and my dad shook the wheel back and forth. It was all fine except a very slight amount of play in the passenger side wheel. My dad said that we can get a wheel bearing and it might fix the issue, but I was wondering if it was torque steer.

I do not want to hear that I should swap to a Garrett or use turbo pistons. The car runs fine and I want the mitsu turbo.

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
'torque steer' seems to be magnified by wear in various suspension components,
including wheel bearings, LCA bushings, tie rod ends, etc. etc.

how is the steering /handling otherwise ? does it wander or follow road ruts ? struts decent, etc. ?

my old SC was really a wanderer,
had a bad wheel bearing which wasn't making noise but had play..

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ball joints, outer tie rod ends, struts and mounts are new. Control arm bushings are new poly. Verified all bushings, ball joints, etc. are tight but noticed very slight play in RF wheel bearing. Got one (well 2) on order. Clarification: car doesn't actually pull right on coast. Just because of the correction under throttle. Coast or braking it's straight as an arrow. Only under throttle, it pulls left. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Does the car have the equal length axle on the passenger side. Someone could have replaced it with a long axle which can cause torque steer. 81 model would not be a turbo car from the factory so maybe the axle never got changed to the equal length one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What about the wheel alignment? I have an 81 with a Supercharger. Long P/S half shaft. It pulls right a little under hard acceleration. I did inner and outer tie rods and had it aligned

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
moparracer 35
My omni does not have equal length axles. I have heard bad things with equal length axles and want to keep the non-equal length axles. My dad and I did the turbo conversion. I have seen that some people have had torque steer with un-equal length and some people haven't. Someone claimed that with perfect alignment and parts in good shape, there should be no torque steer. I am okay with it if it's torque steer, but want to make sure there is nothing wrong or if that is just the result of a turbo 2.5 with non-equal length axles.
detomaso2.2
We checked the alignment and it is toed out less than an 1/8 in and barely any negative camber(can't go much too much farther because I am running out of adjustment).

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
I'm running a 2.5 TII setup with +40 injectors, and a big FMIC in my Scamp. I went with the unequal length setup, and at 12 psi of boost, I don't get unreasonable torque steer. But I also have an OBX diff, so it loads both sides pretty equal. I'm not there yet, but the goal is 300 hp. This thing is a beast when the boost hits... I'm still sorting a few things, but plan to turn it up to 18+ psi once I get the package all sorted...

The 2.5 is a torque motor. It will pull hard in a lightweight L-body...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
83scamp
The 2.5 is definitely a torquey motor, only running 5 psi, but eventually will run 13-14 psi. I need an 555 with an lsd first though. What trans are you running?

·
Registered
13,440 Posts
Torque Steer thread.
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f22/1183826-torque-steer-omni-turbo.html

My car is a 85 GLH with poly bushings control arms, Koni coilover with camber plates, and lots of other parts. I have an OBX LSD in a A555 with A520 3.5 FD. I tried many different engine and turbo setup, so let me share with you my experience with torque steer.

I had a 2.5L with a T04E 50 trim, stage I turbine wheel, a/r .48, torque steer was horrible and engine had no top end. Tried two different heads, FWD ported head and MPGmike ported head. Ran a best of 102mph, did not dyno. Torque peak was probably 3300rpm, and max HP was probably 3800rpm. Used equal length axles, did not help. Changed to unequal length axles for strength.

Then, I put in a 2.2L with a super ported cylinder head, T04E 50 trim, stage II turbine wheel, a/r .63, torque steer was less, way more top end power. 110mph at the end of the 1/4mile and made 290whp with 290 lb ft of torque. Torque peak was between 4500 - 4800rpm.

Then, turbo sized for unknown reason, so I put in a T04B V trim, stage II turbine wheel, a/r .63. Same alignment settings as above, torque steer is now non-existence, and about the same top end power. Have not dyno nor ran a 1/4 mile with it.

My theory with torque steer is that the more sudden raise of torque, the more you will notice the torque steer while gradual rise of torque give you more control so less noticeable torque steer, given your suspension parts are good and your alignment setting is good. Sorry, don't have any quick answer for you.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
83scamp
The 2.5 is definitely a torquey motor, only running 5 psi, but eventually will run 13-14 psi. I need an 555 with an lsd first though. What trans are you running?
You don't need a 555. In fact, the 3.85 FD is too much for a lightweight L-body, unless you are strictly drag racing.

I am running an A-520 with the 3.50 FD. I installed an OBX LSD in it. It has more than enough torque to easily spin both front wheels. Unfortunately, OBX has recently discontinued that diff...

If I were you, I'd find a good A-520, install a chromoly end plate, and call it good.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What about 555 with 520 final drive? I know where to get a 555 and we have have a few 520s. I plan for this to be a fun daily. I want to drive it to college next year. Thanks for the quick responses. I am trying to better understand my car and I have a project where I have to write about a community, so I decided to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Find out what's going on with my car and get info for my project. The wheel bearing can be will be replaced, but I can tolerate the torque steer. I plan to take my driver's test in this car. Hopefully the instructor doesn't freak if the car pulls left. I can sort of keep my foot out of it, but 5psi by 3000rpm easy. Only running 5/6psi.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
What about 555 with 520 final drive? I know where to get a 555 and we have have a few 520s. I plan for this to be a fun daily. I want to drive it to college next year. Thanks for the quick responses. I am trying to better understand my car and I have a project where I have to write about a community, so I decided to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Find out what's going on with my car and get info for my project. The wheel bearing can be will be replaced, but I can tolerate the torque steer. I plan to take my driver's test in this car. Hopefully the instructor doesn't freak if the car pulls left. I can sort of keep my foot out of it, but 5psi by 3000rpm easy. Only running 5/6psi.

You can build a "hybrid" by combining the two. Not sure it's worth the hassle, especially if you have a good 520. Truth is, a 520 isn't that much weaker than a 555. So unless you plan on doing a lot of 4K rpm clutch drops, the 520 should suit you well.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
What about a lsd? I want to eventually run 13-14psi with na pistons in a 2.5. I don't want a one wheel burnout destroying my trans.
You better make sure your tune is spot on. Those NA pistons are pretty fragile. Won't take kindly to detonation. I'm sure you've heard that before, just warning you...:smile2:

Only LSD available now is a Quaife, which will only fit the 555 & 568. But they are like $1300, and won't fit a 520/555 hybrid. You might get lucky and find an OBX, they are more like $400(as built) to $500(upgraded to live), and they fit the 520 & 523...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Only 5-6 psi on premium. 12-14 psi on race gas or octane boost. Also do you have any suggestions for a spot for an intercooler? I will be running a/c. I know the car should have one, but can't find a spot and I don't want to do a bunch of cutting or have it hang down.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Only 5-6 psi on premium. 12-14 psi on race gas or octane boost. Also do you have any suggestions for a spot for an intercooler? I will be running a/c. I know the car should have one, but can't find a spot and I don't want to do a bunch of cutting or have it hang down.
Intercoolers on an Omni can be a bit problematic, especially if you want to keep it stock looking & keep the grill. Do a lot of measuring for the space you have, and then start looking around for a front mount that will fit.

Wasn't much of an issue on the Scamp. The 2 doors have room behind the nose to mount an intercooler...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts