Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't begin to list everything to see as you drive through Oklahoma. So these are just a FEW suggestions of places to visit in Oklahoma as you travel Route 66. This thread will be completed in segments and if any locals would like to add anything, please feel free to do so.

Beginning in the Western part of Oklahoma as you travel towards St. Louis....

TEXOLA

Some people call this the last place in Oklahoma, but I like to think of it as the first place. Visit the The Last Stop Bar with the sign.....

Don't miss the Old Territorial Jail built in 1910. It was refurbished by the senior class of 1938.

ERICK

Home to Roger Miller, Cal's Country Kitchen famous for their onion burger, chicken fried steak and cinnamon rolls. Don't forget to visit The Mediocre Music Makers owned by Harley and Annabelle while you're there.

ELK CITY

Home to Susan Powell, Miss America 1981. There is also a National Route 66 Museum and Old Town Museum Complex.

CLINTON

Another Route 66 Museum...Elvis Presley once stayed at the Trade Winds Courtyard Inn.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
HYDRO

Home of Lucille's owned by Lucille Hamons, Mother of the Mother Road, who passed away in 2000. Lucille's was recently sold on eBay.

A photo of Lucille with one of her customers driving a 1956 Mercedes Gullwing.

EL RENO

Great onion burgers at Johnnie's, Sid's or Robert's. A segment of the Hoffman/Cruise movie, "Rain Man" was shot at the Big 8 Motel which is now called the Deluxe Inn.

YUKON

Home of Garth Brooks. You'll also see the Yukon Flour Mill.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
YLE
I've been down that road dozen's of times but have not stopped at any of these places. I hope to travel that way late this summer and will definatly stop the place
Thanks for the info :)

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OKLAHOMA CITY

OKC National Memorial

Bricktown Historic District

Bridge At Lake Overholser

Ann's Chicken Fry House. It's known for the chicken fried steaks but don't forget to try the deep-fried peaches. Closed on Sunday and Monday. Great neon mural photo op around the side of the building.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Continuing OKLAHOMA CITY....

Route 66 Bowl

National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum. Open 9-5 daily.

If you are looking for BBQ, try the old Kentucky Club Speakeasy and Roadhouse which was once frequented by Pretty Boy Floyd. It is now called the Oklahoma County Line.

As you drive by our State Capitol, please notice the new dome with The Guardian sculpture....it cost us a fortune. ;)

Monkeyboy, do you have anything to add to the OKC area? I'm sure I've missed a lot of interesting sights.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Big Kahuna said:
What about the Big Blue Whale off Route 66 in Catoosa, OK?

Haven't got there yet. We've only gone half-way across the state....got another 200+ miles to go before reaching the state line of Missouri. Lots more to come. :D

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
YLEKYOT said:

Haven't got there yet. We've only gone half-way across the state....got another 200+ miles to go before reaching the state line of Missouri. Lots more to come. :D
Ooops... 8*

Should I delete it and come back to it later... 8o

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Big Kahuna said:

Oh.... so this is a PTE virtual tour of Route 66 in OK.... |)
Exactly....it's a road trip. ;)

Actually, I'm waiting on MonkeyBoy to see if he wants to add anything to the OKC area....

and it's time to fix dinner. :\

See ya later on Route 66. :D

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the Yukon Flour Mill, BK. You'd be surprised at how many dead links I've run across.....or webs which don't allow me to hot link. The trip is wearing this old lady out. ;)

Feel free to fill in any of the blanks. :D

We'll be leaving OKC soon, headed eastbound.....

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As we leave OKC....

ARCADIA

The famous Round Barn built in 1898.

CHANDLER

Chandler was almost completely destroyed by a tornado in 1897.

It was also the host of the last old-west gunfight in Oklahoma which took the life of lawman, Bill Tilghman in 1924 while he was trying to arrest a drunken federal officer. His homestead is listed in the Oklahoma National Register of Historic Places.

The Old Phillips 66 cottage-style gas station downtown has been restored.

The Lincoln Motel, at the east edge of town, is still as neat and tidy as it was the day it opened in 1939. Last time I checked their rooms were $35. 8o

There are two dozen two-room cabins, each with an American flag and a pair of yellow lawn chairs for watching the world whiz by.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
YLE's already highlighted the major items - Cowboy Hall of Fame, Bricktown, National Memorial.

Also downtown is the Myriad Botanical Gardens and Crystal Bridge

If you have time, take a detour south about 20 miles and visit the University of Oklahoma, home of the Sooners. And if you go, be sure to stop in at world famous O'Connell's Irish Pub and Grill and the new Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History

If you plan on spending the day, head out to the Oklahoma City Zoo .

And right next door to that is the Omniplex Science Museum - "the amusement park for the mind!"

Both of the above are great family stops but take a lot of time.

There's a ton of antique shops in the neighborhood of NW 10th and May Avenue. Off of the beaten path is Coca-Nuts Antique Mall , everything Coca-Cola and lots more. They got wiped out by the big tornado a couple of years ago but they've rebuilt. Not sure if they're done yet but they were going to add a soda bar.

The Paseo Arts District

Oklahoma Firefighters Museum

Farmers' Public Market

45th Infantry Division Museum

99s Museum of Women Pilots

National Softball Hall of Fame

Oklahoma Railway Museum

REAL out of the way, about an hour south of OKC, there's the Muscle Car Ranch in Chickasha
http://www.musclecarranch.com/museum.htm

Is it too early to mention the Round Barn in Arcadia and the Rock Cafe in Stroud?

p.s. I'd been done sooner but lost my first message due to my accidentally closing this window (D'oh!) prematurely. And yes, I did do a little bit of cheating to make this list! ;)

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks MonkeyBoy for your help with the OKC area...I knew I could count on you. :D

STROUD

The Rock Cafe opened in 1939. The rock used on the building was dug up when constructing the road that became Route 66.

Stroud area Veterans Memorial

A refurbished Coca-Cola sign was repainted on the side of an old cafe. The Coca-Cola company supplied the paint and the Stroud Library Society did the work.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SAPULPA

Sapulpa is best known for Frankoma Pottery which opened in the late 1930's. In 1943, the plant was severely damaged by fire and rebuilt. In 1973, John Frank died and his daughter inherited the business. In 1983, the plant was again severely damaged by fire and rebuilt. (Does anyone notice the common denominator of 3 in these dates?) 8*

Rock Creek Bridge

Notice the vehicle crossing Rock Creek Bridge in this photo??

Sometime tomorrow, we'll be entering Tulsey Town.....

1 - 20 of 54 Posts