Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Recently acquired a very clean and low-mile (109K) Reliant wagon with a fuel injected 2.2 (EDF, VIN D). Runs nice, very clean, and even has a bit of the old R-12 in the A/C system. I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with the early Bosch TBI units, as the throttle body on this car is unlike any I've seen before. I have owned and wrenched on many, many 2.2s and 2.5s, and currently have an '86 2.5L Daytona and an '89 2.5L Sundance. Those cars have the typical throttle bodies we're all familiar with. The Reliant is a late build (June 7, 1985), and at first glance looks like it's carbureted (old style valve cover, goofy external breather module, etc.). Parts don't seem to be a problem, but have had to hunt for some things that aren't readily listed (uses the longer Mitsubishi 3.0L style air filter, for example). Rock Auto lists the carbureted version (VIN C) for many parts, with no mention of EFI. I'm about to rebuild/re-seal the throttle body and install a new Mopar injector I picked up on eBay for $15.00. The injector actually looks more like an MPFI injector than TBI...

Anybody have experience with these? In almost 30 years of toying around with these cars, it's the first time I've seen this setup. It had to be incredibly short-lived, as my '86 Daytona is was built in Dec '85 and has the "modern" Holley TBI unit with the flat 3-screw air cleaner that seemed to be the norm into the 90s. I looked at many online articles on the 2.2L (Allpar, etc.) and couldn't find anything on the early EFI 2.2s.

Just curious.

·
Administrator
24,342 Posts
Due to all of the problems they had with carburetors Chrysler went overkill on the first two years of TBI to be sure they would not encounter any issues.
84/85 used a high pressure TBI unit that ran on 36 PSI, in 86 they went to the low pressure TBI.

See EFI Database

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had fun rebuilding the old Bosch unit on a rainy St. Louis Saturday. Got an NOS Mopar fuel injector and throttle position sensor off eBay for just a few bucks, and got an NOS Tomco fuel pressure regulator as well. The mounting flange on the Tomco regulator was different than OE and prohibited installation of the power head (#15 in the illustration above) onto the throttle body. Cleaned up the old regulator and reinstalled. Found a dusty, crusty old Wells-Ampco TBI rebuild kit for 10 bucks on eBay, so had all the new O-rings I needed. The biggest pain was cleaning 30-plus-year-old dielectric grease from the 6-way connector in order to remove and replace the TPS spade terminals.

Pretty neat old unit, very different from the later ones. Looks and feels robust as hell. One of these days I'll get it running again.

Bosch TB.JPG
Bosch TB.JPG
Bosch TB #2.JPG

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Went nuts with the attachments though. Thought I just added two and got five...

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had that Bosch TBI on my '84 Chrysler Laser! with the nat asp 2.2, as I recall one of my fixes was to remove the idle control motor's cover and clean it and lube it. It worked great after that.

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,106 Posts
Looks good Captain! I just noticed you are in STL. I'm betting a few of the guys from the St. Louis Turbo Mopar Club would love to see your car at our next meet... whenever that is. Frickin' covid-19 has thrown a wrench in the works for this years festivities. Feel free to visit our group on Facebook.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts