Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my buddy is a big subaru guy and was showing me vids of the launch control he wants in his wagon (sti swapped). then i got to thinking... the TD is FWD, but if you launched it in 2nd gear with a launch control wouldnt that give a sweet 60ft? plus it sounds soooo nasty when u hear it poppin and stuff then you hear the turbo start to spool.... :woot woot:just wondering if anyone has come up with a way to maybe make some sort of launch control and how you did it? or if its 100% in the computer? or if you have any other tips for a good launch?

thanks
nick

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
there is some things that custom cal guys can do in the cal to get a similar effect. Also MS can do it as well as using a MSD Dis2 ignition like I have. The crude way is just a 2 step, a little better on a turbo car is retarding timing while on the 2step so it spools the turbo. basically you can make 10psi in neutral this way, but if your tires suck then there is not much point except for consistency launching

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
2 step is an extra rev limit that is set below the normal rev limit, it is normally used for launching(you arm it using a switch or clutch or something so it is only on durring launch). Many aftermarket ignitions have them and some ECUs or custom cals can have them built in.

Like on a auto turbo drag car you would have a switch/button for the 2-step and trans brake, so you stage(1st gear) and hold the button(on the shifter), then floor the gas, it will hold the car still and rev, bouncing off the limiter(while building boost), then all you do when it turns green is let go of the button and your gone

Here watch this video, thats exactly how this fastest Shelpy Charger FWD launches
The SMP Race car during qualifying at the NHRA Eas - Video

·
Registered
282 Posts
i like the idea of traction control ie. put a tone ring and sensor on a rear wheel hub and use the speed/dist sensor better yet use a abs c/v and senor have the ecm montor for a 12% slip front to rear speed dif and adjust the igntion timing . did this on a twin turbo 911 unreal launch every time with full boost on tap

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
i like the idea of traction control ie. put a tone ring and sensor on a rear wheel hub and use the speed/dist sensor better yet use a abs c/v and senor have the ecm montor for a 12% slip front to rear speed dif and adjust the igntion timing . did this on a twin turbo 911 unreal launch every time with full boost on tap

I'm working on something similar for boost control by speed, but looking for a good way to use the rear wheel speed instead of the SDS(speed distance sensor, aka spedo sensor). The front SDS reads like a 4cyl tach so any EBC that can do boost by rpm can be converted to the better boost by speed, the only prob is if you have wheel spin it will just get worse, hence the rear wheel speed. Do you have any part numbers or applications where to look for something compatible to use for the rear wheel?

·
Registered
282 Posts
ac as aj body with 4 wheel abs bendex 8/10 should work
i like the igntion route better fast to resond and you dont have to worry about respooling the turbo back up it already at full boost

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
ac as aj body with 4 wheel abs bendex 8/10 should work
i like the igntion route better fast to resond and you dont have to worry about respooling the turbo back up it already at full boost
I can agree with that, its just for my setup which is somewhat crude(have 3 different systems instead of 1 great system, Meth injection, SDS, E Boost 2 EBC) so for me I think its better to just tune it under the tire threshold and not worry about the timing. I may eventually mess with more things/use the nitrous retard or some other retard built in that is switched on by the "traction control" or what ever you will call it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
i was thinking about using the nitrous retard on my msd aswell just havent figured out how to come up with a signal to trip it on mabe another module that just to read front to rear wheel speed
i dont think your set up is crude just another way to get the job done!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
i was thinking about using the nitrous retard on my msd aswell just havent figured out how to come up with a signal to trip it on mabe another module that just to read front to rear wheel speed
i dont think your set up is crude just another way to get the job done!
Oh yeah and I have an MSD dis2, that can pull timing, also my SDS likes to read false knock so for now I dont use it, so i could tap into those also(they both have nitrus retards also). I dont drive alot and mainly worried about straight lines, for just straight line drag applications my MSD has a launch limiter that also pulls timing to spool the turbo, then progressively adds timing back over a set time interval, basically the same setup as that SMP car minus the trans brake, it will work great for straight line using the speed based boost in conjunction(mostly will help on street tires and drag racing). The traction control setup should work better as you stated for the fact that the timing will react faster because you could keep the turbo spooled, great all around. If you had a decent way to set it up, and planned it that way from the get go it would be the best setup all around. There are many ECU's that can do this, for me my setup should be comparable since i'm not looking for the very last .1 second as its mostly for fun, and i already have the money invested. So for now I'm just looking for a cheap way to get an rpm like signal from the rear wheel instead of the stock speed sensor.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Our smec's and logic modules can be updated to use a 2 step, and do antilag. Boost from speed has been in the cals for a long time (possibly even from the factory). The cal on my CSX with the (otherwise) factory 87 electronics has the 2 step. The way it's setup, it arms when the VSS thinks you're going slower than 5mph. There is work being done on anti-lag, but I'm not sure that it's ready yet.

Sometimes I wonder why all this stuff goes un-noticed, it's all documented and discussed on this and various other TD websites.

·
Registered
282 Posts
i m looking through my parts bin at home for a rear drum with the tone wheel on the hub cant find it might have it up a the shop wanted to see it the tone wheel would fit inside the e brake shoes on the hub of disc setup

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
do you know what kind of signal it gives? hoping for one similar to the sds sensor so I can use the boost by speed(RPM). I will make a new thread to find out

My Eboost2 reads square wave that switches from 0V to 3.5-12V. It lets me adjust the boost every 500rpm(or ~5-10mph, depends on how many cylinder engine I set for) and has 20 setpoints per channel, so I can have 6 different maps with 20 points each for different tire combos and/or fuel combos, ect..
So like street+pump gas(set to below 15psi max), then street+meth(set to 20psi), then slicks+meth(20psi, would ramp up faster for slicks), then maybe some other combos like street track(max boost scheduling for the DR's I run everyday), then I have 2 more I could make for whatever.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I've been running launch control for years. I've taken an unorthodox approach as the Charger is smec controlled.

I use the cruise control solonoid, controlled by a very simple home made circuit that reads the map sensor. I set it for any boost or vaccuum setting I want with a dial. The cruise control solonoid controls the engine rpm to match the desired boost on launch. The control only opererates when the brake is pressed and the system is triggered. Good for 1.7 sec launches on drag radials.

The Neon is AEM controlled, so anti-lag and two step is no issue.

·
Registered
282 Posts
was think about how to read the rear abs sensor use a mopar v8 igintion module or a GM HEI 4-pin module it wil l convert the ac signal to a tach signal

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wentto my local shop to figure out an msd set-up. you use to have to put the box in, then wire up a 2 step to it. they just came out with a new one that has a 2-step in it and its more plug and play. instead of buying those chips for the older boxes, it has dials built right into it. :thumb: sounds good to me. but i still cant afford it so its gonna have to wait i guess.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts