Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
25,217 Posts
I assume you are trying to locate a boost leak in the charge piping...???

What year/model/engine are we working with?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure. I just rebuilt the motor and turbo. the motor runs good but I am only getting about 3-5 pounds of boost. This is my first time working with a turbo so I don't know just how to trouble shoot the problem. The motor is a late 80's 2.2 from a charger or something like that. It is a draw thru turbo set up with a 4bbl carb. Before the rebuild I was getting 11-13 pounds of boost, but the motor had a lot of blow bye, so that is why I rebuilt it, and I thought I would do the turbo as well.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Administrator
25,217 Posts
Unfortunately I am not familiar with the operation on a carbureted car.
I assume the engine that is being used from the late 80's charger was a 2.2L turbocharged engine and you are using the turbo that came with the engine?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty sure. This is how I bought it, not running. Got it running and drove it for 2 summers and then rebuilt everything. Now very low boost. Just don't know how to trouble shoot.

·
Administrator
25,217 Posts
As I said, I am not familiar with a draw through turbo system on a carbureted car.
You will probably need to know what turbo is on this car and what year the engine is.
This site may help...
Go to "FWD Tech" then "Turbo Database".

I would suggest you open another thread, maybe in the "Lounge" asking if anyone is familiar with "Carburated Draw Through Turbo Systems" and leave a link to your thread.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
It looks like an early Garrett T-I draw through from what I could see??

Boost issues shouldn't be complicated as to the wastegate.

Carb or EFI shouldn't matter as to building boost.

The carb power valve needs to be addressed!

Previous owner may have already done so?

Draw through works backwards.

Boost leans the mixture.

Thanks
Randy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts