Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I need speakers for my 90 LeBaron convertible. The rear ones first. Then the door. I really have no idea where to look for replacements. Any guidance appreciated.

·
Administrator
25,367 Posts
What stereo system do you have?
If you have the Infinity system the front door speakers are bi-amplified meaning they have small amplifiers built in to the speaker.
I am not sure what people are using for replacements but knowing what system is in the car will help others to help you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What stereo system do you have?
If you have the Infinity system the front door speakers are bi-amplified meaning they have small amplifiers built in to the speaker.
I am not sure what people are using for replacements but knowing what system is in the car will help others to help you.
Ok thanks. I think it is the Infinity system but I but I need to check to be sure. I will post when I get the info. Thanks

·
Premium Member
91 Daytona Shelby 5Spd 2.5 T1, 85 New Yorker 2.2 T1, 89 LeBaron Convertible 2.5 T1, Many spare parts
80 Posts
I have the active speakers in my 89 LeBaron convertible. All of the amps are malfunctioning, so I cut the wires off and hooked them up manually. Not sure if they're a trouble area, but mine were all bad in one way or another. Are you keeping the original head unit?

On an acoustic engineer note, there's not much you can do for high quality sound. The door speakers are probably the most important and useful component. I used some Nissan 5-1/4" speakers there. The rear speakers are open-air, so there's nothing from about 1K down. If you're going aftermarket and want to maximize the rear speakers, you might see if some cups fit over the rear speakers without getting in the way of the top when it drops. It will give you a little more lower mid-range and will reduce the pressure cancellation that open air speakers can create. Don't forget good dash speakers if you want a full sound, but if it's the active Infinity system, you might be pulling some fresh wires to those speakers.

Plus you have a convertible, so the top doesn't reflect sound back in, and the ambient noise is not being stopped. (-:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Ben... thanks for your reply here. Just what I was hoping to find. So have I had this car 20 years or so and it was my folks before that purchased brand new in 1990 in Ft Myers FL. I can’t ever remember the sound being good. It’s been terrible for years. It sounds like the speakers are torn. Honestly. I know nothing about this audio system except that I wanted to keep it original.
There it is. Did they ever sound good ? Anyway I just really wanted to replace the speakers in the back and in the doors and not sure what to put in there. What do you suggest ? Thanks for all your help.

·
Premium Member
91 Daytona Shelby 5Spd 2.5 T1, 85 New Yorker 2.2 T1, 89 LeBaron Convertible 2.5 T1, Many spare parts
80 Posts
Since you're not going to be able to compress much air, I'd go with a small-magnet speaker for the back. I think they're 6x9. This set has decent efficiency in free-air. New Kenwood 6x9-inch 3-way Car Audio Coax Coaxial Speakers Pair 6x9" 400 Watts | eBay If you choose to make a cup behind them to increase mid-rage response, they will be much easier to work with, but if you don't, they'll still give a good full-range sound.

The doors are your most important. They fire at your feet, so instead of a speaker with lots of piezo's sticking on the front, the throw of the woofer will matter more. This is probably your best bet without going crazy expensive: Alpine S-S50 S-Series 5-1/4" 2-way car speakers New Pair S-S50 | eBay I don't have this set in my car, so you might want to take a quick look and make sure the magnet doesn't hit anything.

Huge disclaimer: I'm making a guess on the speaker that works best here. They don't list T/S parameters on the products anymore. To be honest, the manufacturers probably don't even test them anymore.

I would urge you not to forget the dash speakers, though. They don't have to be much. They're just 3-1/2" speakers. I am using a pair of desktop computer speakers that I tore apart and put a capacitor in series with each one. I forget the size. I was trying for 12KHz and up. There are plenty of capacitor calculators online.

The tough part is going to be staying with the original stereo. Many (all?) of the Infinity systems expect to push sound through a separate amplifier (or in our case, amplifiers). I swapped in the cassette deck from my Daytona, but you can use anything with that same Infinity wire harness, including CD players. One popular mod is to use the stereo that has the DIN connector and wire in an aux port so that you can plug your phone in. (-: If you are certain you want to have the original stereo, you might buy a cheap amplifier online and find somewhere to sneak it in. You're not running a subwoofer, so it doesn't have to have a lot of wattage.

I'm kind of spoiled with my car audio. I love driving the LeBaron, but I would say that with new speakers it's not a "great" sounding system, but it's definitely plenty to listen to music and enjoy the road.

·
Registered
258 Posts
So... I have an 89 Lebaron convertible and it is one of the best sound systems I have ever had in any car. I absolutely love driving it because of this.

You need an amplifier! Or, better yet, two like I have. Also, a subwoofer. Yep. Mine sounds like a concert hall, even with the top down going 85mph down the freeway.

Here's my recipe.

Get rid of the factory head unit and replace it with something like a Kenwood, that has 6 pre-amp outs (one for each channel, and two for the subwoofer)

Use a 4-channel amp for the speakers. Use a quality brand, and buy it used. Look on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace. You want something with at least 500 watts. Expect to spend $200-300 here.

You'll also need a subwoofer. This is essential! It's not just for booming rap music, even if you listen to classical you need this. Find a deal on CL or FB for something quality like a JL Audio sub. You want a 12" sub but can use a 10" if need be. You can luck out online and find a good brand for about $100.

You need a subwoofer for this amp as well. At least 250 watts will work. Should be another $100.

Then, for the speakers, use a component speaker up front. NOT coaxial! The woofers here will be 5 1/4". I used these: Kenwood KFC-P510PS. So, since they're component speakers they also have a separate tweeter. Use this is place of you factory dash speaker. It'll sound great. Obviously this requires some extra wiring but all of that and the crossover will be included in the component speaker kit. These speakers should be around $150. Anything under $125 will be pretty crappy.

For the back, use a coaxial speaker. This is also 5 1/4", but since its a coax it has the tweeter right in the middle it's all one piece. Spend around $100-150 here. Get soemthing decent, but they dont have to be as nice as the front speakers.

Mount the amps in the back, on the vertical panel in the trunk. The sub can fit in the corner of the trunk as well. There is some extra wiring to do, with the RCA inputs and power wires for the amps. My advice is to do it all in one day, and don't use ANY of the factory stereo wiring for this, other than sourcing 12v battery and key-on power for your new head unit.

Good luck! If you follow my recipe, you'll be very happy :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts