Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't find anything on this topic on the site so I hope I'm not reposting.

The lights on my lebaron won't always close all the way when I turn them off. I thought maybe I wasn't giving them ample time before shutting the car off, but it turns out that's not the case. Now it seems that only about 1 in 5 times do I hear the happy clang of closed headlights. What's causing this and how can I fix this without breaking the bank?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
You may need to adjust the knob that's behind the grille. After you've turned off the lights, reach back and turn it until the headlights close. Then go back and try the lights again.

If that doesnt work, turn it back to where it was, then try lubricating the rod that connects the two headlight covers, also behind the grille. It has joints and bushings and things that could probably use some oiling.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Usually it is the drive motor on the barons. Sometimes you can remove the drive motor shaft and reinsert with an additional 1/4 turn on the square shaft. Short of that, you may need motor replacement.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Headlight doors don't close completely

If the doors move to both open and close then the headlight motor and the control module are OK. If the doors don't go up ( closed position ) all the way or if they don't stay closed then the problem is in the headlight motor gear case. There are three hard plastic drive bushings inside the main drive gear, which has an inner and outer portion. These act to absorb shock when the doors hit full open or closed. These bushings have most likely turned to crumbs. You can get these bushings off of eBay under "Chrysler power window motor repair kit" ( these are the same bushings ) and I've heard they're available in the "HELP" section of some auto parts stores. The set's about $6.

Remove the grille by first taking out the two retaining screws at the top front between the plastic fins.Then reach behind the grille from above or below and dis-engage the rod like spring that engages two tabs at the bottom edges of the grille. The grille will slide down and right out.

Open the headlights by turning the headlights on and then push the headlight switch to parking lights which will keep the doors open, or manually open the doors by turning the manual knob about a hundred times. Unclip the spring retainer clips at the ends of the headlight door operating torsion rod and slide the plastic couplings inward. This disconnects the headlight doors from the mechanism.Unplug the motor, remove the three retaining bolts and tilt the motor assy. in such a way as to allow the torsion rod to slide out toward the passenger side. Then remove the motor and take off the rubber boot. Remove the three small screws holding the gear case cover and open it Pay attention to the small, thin sealing washers around the plastic gear shaft and note the thrust washers on the gear shafts on the inside. Pull out the drive gear. Separate the inner and outer sections and the rest is self-explanatory. Clean it up, replace the bushings and you're back in business. Connect up the electric to the motor and before putting it back in cycle the headlight switch from on to off a couple of times to insure the motors working. Re-install the motor with the headlights "on" position of the motor with the doors fully open.

The whole job should take less than 45 minutes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I couldn't find anything on this topic on the site so I hope I'm not reposting.

The lights on my lebaron won't always close all the way when I turn them off. I thought maybe I wasn't giving them ample time before shutting the car off, but it turns out that's not the case. Now it seems that only about 1 in 5 times do I hear the happy clang of closed headlights. What's causing this and how can I fix this without breaking the bank?
You may need to adjust the knob that's behind the grille. After you've turned off the lights, reach back and turn it until the headlights close. Then go back and try the lights again.

If that doesnt work, turn it back to where it was, then try lubricating the rod that connects the two headlight covers, also behind the grille. It has joints and bushings and things that could probably use some oiling.
Where is the manual open knob?

·
Administrator
25,464 Posts
The headlamp doors on a 92 are BCM controlled, the BCM controls open/close by actuating the headlamp door relays, 7 and 8 in the PDC, the BCM opens closes the doors when it receives a signal for headlamp door opening/closing from the headlamp switch.
Exactly what is the problem you are experiencing?

·
Registered
11 Posts
The lights turn on but the doors don't open. Besides the fact that it has a battery drain we're trying to figure out

·
Administrator
25,464 Posts
Power into the Headlamp Motor Relay is from Fuse 57 in the PDC on the RD/WT Wire.
Power from the Headlamp Motor Relay to the Open/Close Relays is on the RD/YL wire.
Power out of the Headlamp Door Open Relay to the Headlamp Door Motor is on the DB/YL wire.
The Relay Ground is on the BK wire and is bolted to the Right Fender Shield.

Here is the Diagnostics for Headlamp Doors Will Not Open, If you do not have access to a scanner (DRB II, Snap On MT 2500) with BCM access this should still provide some helpful info.
I will also send you some additional wiring through PM.

·
Administrator
25,464 Posts
I will not be home until tomorrow

·
Administrator
25,464 Posts
This is from the 1990 FSM.

Motor vehicle Font Parallel Paper Illustration Motor vehicle Font Line Parallel Art

·
Administrator
25,464 Posts
Open the hood, there should be a plastic shield between the front fascia and radiator support.
As part of the shield there will be a flap/access door you lift up, the manual crank for the headlamp doors is located there.
If you still cannot find it then I will take a pic of the flaps on my car for you.

·
Administrator
25,464 Posts
Already had a pic on my laptop, Daytona uses two motors, Lebaron uses one so you will only have one flap.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Automotive design

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for all the help again. We got the headlight motor out and it works,,,, guess we're at the tracing wire part, which isn't either one of our gifts🙄. Can you tell me where are the headlight open/headlight closed relays? I bought 2 different Chrysler books off eBay, first one didn't even show the headlight doors, second on mentions them, and has the electrical schematic for them,,, but like I said,,, us and electrical 😳. Also, can't find any info on what the fuses and relays are in the box under the hood?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts