Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

First post here,
My neighbour has agreed to give me his old Lebaron convertible 2.2 turbo. He believes its the 88 or 89 model. It has not been started in a few years, he told me that I should flow some oil through the spark plug holes to get the parts lubricated before I attempt to start the old beast. It looks like I need a certain socket or some sort of tool to remove the plugs, if any of you could let me know how to remove the plugs it would be greatly appreciated!

The car is just collecting dust in his driveway and I'm excited to get it cleaned up and driving again, if you have any tips to get the car running well again please let me know! It's got the auto tranny and electronic dash.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,467 Posts
If you have never changed plugs before, be very careful not to crossthread the plug in the hole when you go to install the plug. How many years has the car sat? You may have more problems with the fuel system being non functional than with the motor being seized.

Here's a video to start you off.

When I was a kid, I actually broke the porcelain part of the plug because I put too much side force on the ratchet and extension. Do one plug at a time so you don't mix up the plug wires. I would test for fuel pump fuction first before I did anything else, though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply,

The car has sat for 3 or 4 years. Have not attempted to start it yet. I will buy a spark plug socket and add some oil. If it won't start then I will look into the fuel pump. The guy has a brand new battery for it so my fingers are crossed.

·
Banned
7,664 Posts
You'll be very lucky if the fuel pump runs after being parked for 3+ years. When you turn the key to the 'on' position for the first time you should hear the pump run for 1 second then shut off. The 2nd time you turn to 'on' you should hear it again. After that, you have to actually try to crank the engine over (key to 'start') before the pump will prime again. If the tank was treated with a product like "Stabil" before storage you might get lucky.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I wouldn't be touching the spark plugs, wires or putting oil in the cylinders.

All that will do is make it harder to start and the possibility of breaking a plug or creating some other man made problem.

As mentioned put a few gallons of fresh fuel in along with the new battery and give it a try, cycling the key a few times. Main possible problem will be the fuel system.

Check oil and cooling system to ensure they are full and be prepared for it to start.

If it does start, watch the oil pressure gauge/light and let it run as long as possible to burn off old fuel.

If it does knock or clack upon start, as long as the oil light goes out, it will probably quiet down very soon. Its not unusual to take up to 30 sec. to build oil pressure after a long slumber.

If it does start, keep it running at approx 1500 RPM or it will probably stall if you attempt to let it idle on its own and restarting could be difficult. It can take a while for the idle to stabilize.

Put the heater on hot and as long as strong head is generated the Engine should not be overheating. Beware if no heat is generated as this indicates low coolant or some cooling system issues.

This is my opinion based on bringing many old Turbo Dodges back to life after sitting.

If you do get it started, running and idling, run the trans in neutral for a bit before engaging reverse or drive. Check trans fluid once everything seems good.

Type F is best on old non overdrive automatics if you have to top it up.

Good Luck

Thanks
Randy

·
Super Moderator
11,870 Posts
before you do anything go around to the gas cap and remove it

stick your nose down close to the filler and fan the fumes past your nose
does it smell like gas ?
does it smell like some sort of nasty varnish instead ?

if it smells like gas continue
if it smells like varnish drain the tank first

contrary to staybil adds gas does not go bad in 3 months .. or not likely in three years either
6 , 8 10 15 20 yeah don't even consider it to be gas anymore

1 - 10 of 10 Posts