Turbo Dodge Forums banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
85 New Yorker 2.2 T1, 89 LeBaron Convertible 2.5 T1
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Second RT just blew its head gasket. No overheat, overboost, detonation, nothing... At this point, I'm seriously considering just selling all of my TD's and giving up.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Second RT just blew its head gasket. No overheat, overboost, detonation, nothing... At this point, I'm seriously considering just selling all of my TD's and giving up.
You just need to pray to the Turbo Dodge gods. somehow I crank up the boost all the time on original 1986 head gaskets and they never exploded.

If you make the mistake of getting into other cars they don't have headgaskets for a fuse they just blow rods out the block crack transmissions (Subaru's) and end up costing thousands of dollars to fix like DSM's Honda's ETC

You can probably fix it in a day and a headgasket is $5-$15

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I just ordered the stock thickness from FWD actually. I'm gonna tear it down, but my luck has been astonishingly bad with these cars. I don't want to say it outloud, but with how suddenly it blew under cold conditions and the fact that it's dumping clouds of smoke, I wonder if it's actually a cracked head.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I just ordered the stock thickness from FWD actually. I'm gonna tear it down, but my luck has been astonishingly bad with these cars. I don't want to say it outloud, but with how suddenly it blew under cold conditions and the fact that it's dumping clouds of smoke, I wonder if it's actually a cracked head.
It probably blew out in the corner like all the stock gaskets do. My built Lebaron did this with too much boost.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Rim Automotive engine gasket Audio equipment

Oh and check the last comment this guy used a T2 gasket on a T3.
I'm a cheap ass and am runninga 2018 Honda Accord o2 on my tbi car because it was free. I'm sure u have T2 gaskets lying around

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Yow...well, hope so. I'll just have to tear it down and see... Thing is, the guy who I bought it from put ARP studs, had the head planed, replaced the freeze plugs, put in all new belts, hoses, radiator, complete fuel system, complete brake system, and on and on. I'd suspect he got an MLS gasket, though I wouldn't be too surprised if the machine shop didn't do their job right. Guess I'll just find out...

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Hmm, I'm wondering if this is more likely...

Head Gasket?

Turbo seal blown, perhaps? I wonder if I can test that by bypassing or cutting off the coolant for a minute or two and seeing if the cloud goes away.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Yow...well, hope so. I'll just have to tear it down and see... Thing is, the guy who I bought it from put ARP studs, had the head planed, replaced the freeze plugs, put in all new belts, hoses, radiator, complete fuel system, complete brake system, and on and on. I'd suspect he got an MLS gasket, though I wouldn't be too surprised if the machine shop didn't do their job right. Guess I'll just find out...
I learned a long time ago when you buy a used car everything the seller tells you is probably nonsense. I've heard so many times it's got a rebuilt engine rebuilt transmission the mileage is much lower blah blah blah. Mostly it's nonsense to get you to pay top dollar for a turd.
There is a reason I only buy cars for scrap price because if I get screwed I actually don't I just drive it to the junk yard
The TBI Reliant I just picked up I checked in the trunk and I actually found a receipt saying the transmission was rebuilt 10 years ago. Kid probably had no idea.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Yep, it's a cometic gasket and ARP studs. I'm leaning strongly towards the turbo being the cause of the clouds of smoke. I have the second R/T I can pull the turbo off of, though I have no clue how hard it is to get to the turbos on these TIII's. The turbo is original, so it may just have very old seals.

Hey, just curious, any idea if the Mitsu TE04H works on these cars? I'm not looking to push past 15 PSI, but the T3's sure are slow spooling by comparison. The TE04H on the Shadow would blow way past 18 PSI at high RPM anyway.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Wow, sure looks easy(ish) to get the turbo off. The piston caps look pretty normal, not steam-cleaned. I haven't stuck the bore scope in yet. (My phone is completely dead, so I don't have anything to hook it up to.) The plugs are medium-brown. I think whatever is happening is after combustion. Interestingly, there is a line of what looks to be water on top of the seam where the turbo mates to the EM. How the heck? Well anyway, since I have one, I'm going to swap turbos. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
1984 Dodge Rampage Turbo
99 Posts
I understand your frustration. I have 40K in a Jeep Wrangler TJ. Everything is new/rebuilt, been driving it for 2 years now. It has not even been wheeled yet, just 5k of hard pavement parade driving. Just a month ago the rear caliper banjo bolt started leaking onto my Raceline beadlocks. This is a 4k wheel/tire combo. The brake line is new, banjo bolt/washers new, caliper new. Just started leaking. Replaced two sets of washers, banjo bolt, and still leaks. Now there is damage on my wheels, paint peeled off from axle. I have had rear axle out 3 times in two years trying to find a vibration, ordered two driveshafts at 500 a pop, still have a weird driveline vibration. Sometimes with this stuff you have to pay to play the game.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Thanks for the reminder. I've been getting one-two-three punches lately and having a hard time keeping my patience, especially since I only chose to make these my daily drivers.

I'm glad to say that it appears very likely that I was wrong about the head gasket. Almost definitely it's a blown seal on the turbo, since the piston caps and plugs are still dark. I've got almost all of the air, oil, and coolant lines off of both Spirit's, and I figured out how to get the four flange nuts off and succeeded in getting all of them loose on one turbo and should have the rest done tomorrow. Of course, as luck would have it, the VA state inspection is Monday, so I really need to finish this thing tomorrow if at all possible. I'm going ahead and moving the OEM radiator from the non-driving Spirit to the driving one. (I fully plan to try to rebuild the non-driving one if I get the titling figured out, but BOY was that car neglected.

Honestly, if I had determined that the head or head gasket was actually the problem, that would have been the last straw for me. However it does appear that the last owner put serious time and money into everything he worked on, so it's worth continuing.

·
Registered
1984 Dodge Rampage Turbo
99 Posts
I thought Reba had head gasket issue, Cylinder 2 was failing leakdown test ( this is where the turbos failed gaskets typically on #2) and my coolant had gone from fresh green to more brownish color, in matter of several hundred miles. Upon teardown I found I did not have gasket issue, but actual cylinder damage. The discoloration was from all of rust and crap in water jackets of the block.

Oh, forgot about the issue I had with the original 4.0 I6 in my TJ. This is a non-interference engine, and had zero compression on #3. Pulled head off and intake on #3 was slightly bent, just enough to get .005 gage between seat and valve. So I said, f-it, got new cylinder head/valaves, etc. Put new head on, drove couple thousand miles, started having issues with Cylinder 3. Pulled head off, and the intake #3 was not properly lapped, would not seal. Two separate heads having issue on #3 intake. Should have bought lottery cards! I lapped it in, put it back on, ran good for about 500 miles, started having electrical issues. That's when I decided to do the LS swap, dump the 4.0. Yea, I was just a tad frustrated

Glad to hear you nailed it down and eliminated it being a gasket issue.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I really hope it was a bad turbo, because I had to completely obliterate the turbo and the exhaust manifold to get it off. I can modify/repair the EM, but the turbo has no rebuild value at all. As far as I can tell, if I ever want the other Spirit to run, I'll either need to shell out some $$$ for a turbo or put on an aftermarket.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I feel like this should be put into another thread. It looks like the Mitsubishi TE04H could be put in place of the T04E, if I end up having trouble sourcing another. I think the inlet can be clocked close to the right spot. Honestly, it doesn't look too difficult. I was going to disassemble this T04E to see if it did indeed have a bad coolant seal before putting the other turbo on. Well, I mean I DID disassemble it, and I think the torching was so intense that I doubt any seals survived anyway. However, I did have liquid coolant on both the EM flange and the downpipe. Aside from an extremely unlikely crack in the head that would pump liquid coolant directly into the exhaust, I can't really think of any answer other than a blown turbo seal. One thing I have to figure out is where the engine temperature sensor is on this thing, since it will have to be purged and I don't want to risk any damage.

The good news is that it's currently at the point where I can start bolting pieces back on. I have to install the turbo, lines, hoses, etc. I also have to replace the battery tray (hard to explain), and I'm going to install the correct radiator and intercooler combo.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
The source of the coolant appears to be from close to the valve guide on the far front (passenger side). I used the borescope when we took the turbo off, and I saw lots of coolant on that end, but I had assumed it was coming from the turbo at the time. It's still soaking with the turbo with known good seals.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I'm going to strip the other Spirit down. I'm now down to one turbo, one intercooler, one radiator, and, if I'm lucky, one head. We all know I'm definitely NOT lucky, but it's worth a try. I'm all out of money and running cars now.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts