Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
starts nice, runs nice until we step on the gas. Then it starts jerking in and out, limp mode I assume.

Codes in order.....

12, 24, 24, 13, 15, 13

why does it repeat the codes?

Had to replace the throtle body, I assume thats where 15 comes from, but what could be wrong now? With old throttle body I was at 1600rpm with plate manually all the way closed......Now its about 800rpm, sounds great until you step on the gas.

13 shows map sensor problem, that sucks.... There are some connectors near map sensor I am confused about. they are not on my 89 shelby...I will try and get pics tommorow to show what im talking about. vacuum line going to map is in tight, it definately dies when I take the hose off.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
As found at Allpar.com:
24* Throttle position sensor over 4.96V (SEE NOTE #3)

NOTE #3. Matt Rowe comments: The throttle postion circuit tells the computer how far the accelerator is depressed. The Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) is on the throttle body on the opposite side of the throttle cable. The connector should have a round rubber cover over the connections. Clear the fault codes, start the car and try jiggling the wires/connectors to try to trip a fault code. Loss of this signal could cause other problems.

I would assume there's a problem with your TPS. Make sure the connector is in properly and that the sensor is properly installed. You said you replaced the TB? Did you replace the TPS also or use the one on the TB? 15 could be related to this, but I'm not sure.

13 is MAP signal problem. Usually means vaccuum is off somewhere.

As for the repeating codes, I'm not sure why but it happens. Mine does it too occassionally. I had assumed it was because the computer saw the same problem at 2 different points in its run cycles (or from 2 different sensors). Anyone else have a better idea on that?

·
Registered
787 Posts
First Clear the codes...espcially after you replaced the TB.
Next Vac lines...Sounds like a Leak..Personaly I'd replace all with silicon so that you now its done right.

BTW did you get my Reply to your other thread? http://www.turbododge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86511
Did you get my PM...Re:89 shelby?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
o crap, havnt checked my pm box for ages!. I got pics, at a friends house....il pm you details.

also yes, did replace TPS, and changed to old 1 again....same thing... will try note 3 tommorow. I really wanna drive this thing but stuff keeps breaking :bash:

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
You will probally always get 13 until you get 24 cleared. They work in conjuction, if the TPS cant tell the ECU where the throttle plate is at, then the MAP doesnt know the intake pressure (for some dumb reason). So the ECU is trying to guess the intake pressure, and in turn sends the car into Limp Mode.

Does it give out at 2,000 RPMs? Does it do it off and on--like every other mile or so?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Well I can't fully tell from the pics..But it looks Like your MAP is not Hooked up..And your PCV is definantly Wrong!!!

Your PCV ()white plastic attaches to Valve cover..Sould attach to the Intake manifold with no other VAc lines comming off of it!

A couple better pics would help here...do you have a VAc diagram?
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo/turbo189.jpg

Tell ya what give me a really good Price on that SHelby And I'll help ya get her running when I come down to pick it up :wink:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pvc goes to intake....ill get a better pic of vacuum lines. I have seemed to have missed the big mess of stuff by fuel rail. It will be more clear tommorow.

And it seems to do it off and on....I was taking a test drive shifting at around 3500 when I hit fourth gear I was probobly at 2500rpm and it started jerking. And then it ran fine for a bit...and started jerking again. When jerking more gas i push more jerking happens....until it just magically goes away.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
low boost, just have a vac line going from wastegate to turbo vac nipple for now. Cant tell exact boost lvl as there is no boost guage hooked up, 1 is being shipped in now.

Thnx for info dave, and I also re-did some vacuum lines as canadiandaytona suggested and it seems to run better. Will have pics in few hours. I am going into town to get some parts now....luckily I dont have work today.

After doing vacuum setup again I reset comp, checked codes and now I have

12, 13

....well, atleast I am moving forward....

·
Registered
787 Posts
Hum..
sorry heres the proper vac diagram for 91
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo/turbo191.jpg
Those Hoses look pretty big...are they actucally tight?
So there is nothing on your passenger strut tower (where the map/baro is on your 89)?

Is this the stock map or a 3Bar?

Only other suggestion I have is to swap in the Map/BARO from your 89 and see if it works.

Good Luck (BTW is it snowing in LB today?)

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
Looks like you have a vac hose from the lower intake port to the PCV, which in turn goes to the valve cover. Then it looks like you have a hose from the top intake port to a vac tee, which branches to the FPR and the MAP? Where is the line from the wastegate to the solenoid just out of curiosity? Also, are you sure you have your cam gear lined up properly? My ES was giving me code 13 and going into limp because I had it a tooth off. The valves contribute to the vaccuum system and could be screwing with the MAP.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have no idea if this is 3 bar....disadvantage of buying from someone else when the car isnt even running. He really didnt give me mutch info, he is on this site....perhaps I will look up his e-mail and frop him a line. hmm...cam gear...havnt checked, will do.

switching the map from the 2.2 wont effect performance of this 2.5?

no snow, some rain though...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no solenoid I can find on 91 daytona...there is that thing with 3 nipples next to the map...I dont really know what it is though, and why it has 3 nipples. took a look at my 89 and there is a vac line from intake to a solenoid, and solenoid to what seems to be the map. Map has 3 wires to it instead of the 4 wires on the 91...

so it looks like im gonna convert 4 wires to 3 wires...and install the 89 shelby map on the 91...I will get pics next morning so you guys can tell me where I screw this up.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Alberta_Daytona said:
no solenoid I can find on 91 daytona...there is that thing with 3 nipples next to the map...I dont really know what it is though,
It's the solenoid.

Alberta_Daytona said:
and why it has 3 nipples.
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/solenoids.html

Alberta_Daytona said:
took a look at my 89 and there is a vac line from intake to a solenoid, and solenoid to what seems to be the map. Map has 3 wires to it instead of the 4 wires on the 91...
I have never heard of a 4-wire MAP. Are you talking about the O2 sensor?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yes, goes to O2.

lol, dosnt even look like a solenoid on the 91...3 nipples facing same direction.
89 looks just like the 1 in that link, but thnx for letting me know its hooked up correctly.

so I do have vac line from intake to solenoid to MAP...as shown in prevois pics. vac line on bottom goes to intake, next up goes to MAP, and next up is open as it should be...right..

The previous owner had nothing connected to that solenoid for about a year, it was all open, perhaps I should take it out and give her a good cleaning? will try the diagnosing and repairing steps on that site, thnx very mutch for that link.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so you wanted pics...here they are.

got pics of my 89 map setup and my 91...distinct difference. But I guess you can see that. If I was to switch them I would need to put different connectors on....

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts