Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 caravan with a 3.0 and a 3spd, I am planning on towing a trailer with this van, what I want to know is how do I wire in a shut off switch for the dash for the lock up when I want it off, but otherwise let the lock up do its normal thing when Im not towing a trailer. Can I just cut the ground wire off the plug on the tranny and put a switch inline (run a wire from one side of the cut to the switch and from the switch back to the other side of the cut) that would either allow it to ground or not, hence turning off the lock up when I want to and leave it in normal opperation other times. Im sure this has been done before, I just want to make sure I am heading down the right path before I go cutting. Thanks

· Registered
3,600 Posts
I have a 95 caravan with a 3.0 and a 3spd, I am planning on towing a trailer with this van, what I want to know is how do I wire in a shut off switch for the dash for the lock up when I want it off, but otherwise let the lock up do its normal thing when Im not towing a trailer. Can I just cut the ground wire off the plug on the tranny and put a switch inline (run a wire from one side of the cut to the switch and from the switch back to the other side of the cut) that would either allow it to ground or not, hence turning off the lock up when I want to and leave it in normal opperation other times. Im sure this has been done before, I just want to make sure I am heading down the right path before I go cutting. Thanks
there's no reason to do that. lockup automatically will come off under load, at closed throttle and at wide open throttle. I towed my race car with a minivan for over 10,000 miles over the years and never had a trans problem. you're just wasting your time messing with a manual switch.

· Registered
3,600 Posts
Well that is your opinion, but I want control of the transmission, thanks for your input but didnt help me at all.
well golly gee, just unplug the thing and plug it in, but lockup reduces trans temp which will help it live longer. if you ain't smart enough to figure out how to install a simple switch to kill power to a device then you shouldn't be messing with it.:bash:

· Registered
3,600 Posts
you know forums are for sharing info, not for being a J***, but if thats the way you fell about fellow members, than good for you
no the forums are for intellegent people to attempt to correct the uneducated. its all in how the less fortunate take the constructive critisizm or if they cry like little bitches which is what the truely disfunctional perpetuate:two cents:.
I stand by my statement you are wasting your time. and that if you are not smart enough to connect a simple switch into a single wire, you shouldn't be messing with it.

· Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you read my first post I asked if what I said was correct (as far as wiring goes) if you are so smart why didnt you just answer the question than, If you dont know the answer than leave the post alone, instead of trying to start something with someone you know noting about.

· Registered
5,790 Posts
Allmotor..the forums are for people to share ideas, solve problems, and be a general gathering place for ALL(including obnoxious, know-it-all, [email protected], j3rks....clearly) people wanting to discuss certain topics.
You're one to talk about taking critisim like a little b*tch...wow...you lie out your @ss so much to try and get out of looking wrong it's not even funny. How many times have you been called out on the various BS that you spout off ALL the time? A LOT! How many times have you actually backed ANY of it up? Let me count here....ummm...ZERO.

So, unless you have some usefull input beyond your first response to this thread...go back to your hole please! We'll call you if we want to hear from an @sshole and we are fresh out of farts.

Thank you and have a good day.

· Registered
5,790 Posts
I thought I'd update this thread with a nice quote from our pal "allmotor". This quote was posted 9-11-2006 in this thread: http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f22/123113-lock-up.html I also found a few other times where he mentions the SAME set-up..once vaguly outlining how he did it!

i put in a lockup trans into a nonlockup car, then installed a toggle switch to turn on and off lockup. I gained 4mpg. only thing was I had to remember to turn off the switch when comming to a stop cuz it would kill the engine just like forgetting to push in the clutch on a stickshift.

· Registered
1,571 Posts
I'm not usre if your question was answered, so.... just behind the dipstick is the round lockup connector with 2 wires. If you want to make sure lockup doesn't come on, just cut either wire (not both) and connect a switch on both ends of the cut. Happy trailering.

· Registered
9,531 Posts
considering people have seen his cars, its hard to deny anything.

I agree, if you cant figure out a switch, you probably have no idea what you are doing.
If you cant figure out a VERY simple switch, then its very likely the idea to install the switch is a bad idea.

I also think there is no logical connection to adding a switch that forces lockup on a car where the ECU etc cant do that itself and removing lockup ability from a lockup trans (with no good reason to do so).
Just because someone added lockup to their trans doesn't mean they shouldn't tell someone its a bad idea to turn it off.

· Registered
3,679 Posts
Well that is your opinion, but I want control of the transmission, thanks for your input but didnt help me at all.
Why are people messing with Allmotor on this his first post on this in post 2 was polite and good info. The insults started in post 3 by the thread starter "thanks for your input but didnt help me at all". If someone wrote that after I posted in there thread I would probibly have just stopped posting in any thread that person made but hey this is Allmotor he can see idiots threads away and doesn't have a problem telling them. In later posts people say forums are for sharing thoughts and ideas. So why doesn't allmotors thoughts matter? Is it because its Allmotor? I agree with his post the computer will cut it when needed. Just hook up a scanner and go for a drive it will back up his post. If people just make threads to have people tell them only what they already have buried in there heads they need to stop posting.

And how does adding a comment he made about adding lock up to a car that didn't have it to begin with add anything to this thread or even discredit him?

Tim

· Registered
5,790 Posts
Allmotor never answerred the origional question. He got all pissy when that was pointed out to him and went in to his usual "you're an idiot, I'm right, you're wrong" attack. What is so wrong about pointing out the obvious? The question wasn't answered and the reply that was given wasn't helpful regarding the question.

We already know the computer controls the lock-up...the origional poster wants to bypass that! There is NOTHING wrong with it, and in fact was done by Allmotor, who claims it is a stupid thing to do. Tell that to a ton of diesel guys out there who do it. I think you'll find they dissagree. It doesn't matter that he modded a car that origionally didn't have it. The fact is that he disregarded the question all together and chose to attack somebody's intelect instead.

This is a well documented pattern with this guy. As I posted in another thread: I read 261 threads containing posts from him in search of his claim of "tons of info he's given about the A604...which admitedly has nothing to do with this thread). Out of those threads I found exactly 1(one) thread that had decent info. The rest were all commonly known things that anybody with knowlegde about the A604 could have posted, or he would try to sell the poster some stuff he has around his house, or he would try to buy the poster's car becuase it was junk, or he would attack the person's intelect(as we've seen in this thread) and drive them to not post again.

If you don't beleive me, then do a dearch for his name in the transmission section of these forums and read all 261 threads. It will take you the better portion of an afternoon. I also found that anywhere between 80-90% of the time his immediate diagnosis of "blown-up" was completely wrong and made without any real basis for it. Immediatly after that he would offer to buy the person's "junk" car.

I am not at all impressed with his antics, attitude toward other people(especially new people who have just gotten in to the hobby), or his self proclaimed knowledge base. If you are, well, ok. I can't say much about that, but to me he's more of a troll on the forum than anything else....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.