Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Daytona Shelby 2.2 TII
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to replace my AIS on a 52mm out of a 3.3 Liter. Does anybody have any experience with Standard Motor Products, DELPHI or Duralast, specifically their AIS motors? They're not exactly cheap at about $50-$70 a piece, but just wondering if anyone had any experience with them and are worth getting. Obviously trying to find the OEM Mopar sensors are nearly impossible/not available anymore. Anyone with personal experience with SMP, Delphi or Duralast or maybe other brands worth looking at? Thanks

·
Administrator
25,735 Posts
Duracrap is junk Standard is OK Delphi is best.
To each their own.
I worked at AZ for 6 years as a Commercial Sales Manager, Duralast electrical parts are manufactured by Wells Electronics, Autozone for the most part is very big on quality, especially since they reimburse shops for labor on parts that fail.
While I was there they kicked Cardone and Airtex to the curb for poor quality and defects.
Actually another member just purchased a Duralast HEP and it was an SMP HEP in the box (stamped on the underside), there is a possibility that Wells is no longer their vendor, I have not worked there since 8/18 so IDK.
SMP uses sub-contractors to help with the manufacturing process, they are supposed to be quality controlled, however, only the true SMP manufactured products seem to be a quality part.
For instance, if you get an SMP HEP and SMP is not stamped on the bottom of the unit it is a sub-contracted piece, chances are it is of poor quality.
I have a Duralast HEP that has been in the car since 6/12/17 and a Duralast AIS that has been in the car since 1/26/15 with no issues...KNOCK ON WOOD!

·
Registered
567 Posts
To each their own.
I worked at AZ for 6 years as a Commercial Sales Manager, Duralast electrical parts are manufactured by Wells Electronics, Autozone for the most part is very big on quality, especially since they reimburse shops for labor on parts that fail.
While I was there they kicked Cardone and Airtex to the curb for poor quality and defects.
Actually another member just purchased a Duralast HEP and it was an SMP HEP in the box (stamped on the underside), there is a possibility that Wells is no longer their vendor, I have not worked there since 8/18 so IDK.
SMP uses sub-contractors to help with the manufacturing process, they are supposed to be quality controlled, however, only the true SMP manufactured products seem to be a quality part.
For instance, if you get an SMP HEP and SMP is not stamped on the bottom of the unit it is a sub-contracted piece, chances are it is of poor quality.
I have a Duralast HEP that has been in the car since 6/12/17 and a Duralast AIS that has been in the car since 1/26/15 with no issues...KNOCK ON WOOD!
In over 20 years of using crapozone parts durajunk has actually helped me out getting side jobs with a seemingly yearly failure rate for all their parts. And due to the awesome greenscreen return system I have documented proof of everything...

Examples
2006 Jeep Liberty. Duracrap starter 3 times in 2 years it died. 3rd time the solenoid was clocked backwards...

2000 F250 7.3 Durajunk gold starter failed every year like clockwork. (Always winter with the plow frozen to the ground) Also in 3 years the Duracrap Gold brake pads sheared off the friction material on one pad every 9 months ruining the rotors.

My 91 Nissan Sentra replaced the durajunk alternator every year since that's all it could last. (Got stuck in Wendy's drive-thru had to walk to Advance charge battery to avoid tow) Luckily lifetime warranty is good if you do your own work...

85 4.3 Caprice opened box on new waterpump and pulley was frozen...

You are right about Airtex. 89 Chevy pickup 305 new Autozone fuel tank,straps,pump,sender,hoses. Guy parked it and months later went to register it and pump was already dead...

More recent
2015 F250 (replaced 2000 F250)
Passenger tie rod loose after a year and what u know..
Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Number

Also Durajunk brakes still shearing off and warped durajunk rotors...

Next one is even worse. 2016 Nissan Versa as usual impatient people still go to Autozone for their junk parts so Autozone Coil packs were installed and a month later car died and almost Burned down due to the coil catching fire...
Photograph Gas Natural material Bicycle part Plumbing

Had fun fixing that one.

2006 F250 5.4 Durajunk calipers all around and within a year one per axle was frozen.

91 Nissan Pickup. Durajunk (airtrash) Fuel pump. 3 times in a year. 1st time had to saw cuts into stripped Phillips screws to get sender out and put gas in a kids swimming pool to get it done for this heroin addict living in the truck with his GF dog and 2 kids (mattress and a truck cap) Also durajunk alternator shit out after a year...

Also the sensors were the absolute worst most of the time you go to install them they don't do anything but then you go to the dealer and get the correct Cam or crank sensor and the car fires right up.

I could probably go on for hours about all the people who called me saying "we just changed that" and I tell them I warned them about autozone duracrap parts.

Also the people working there contribute to the parts issue. From my experience don't even talk to anyone without Gray hair all the older guys seem to be retired mechanics and know what they are talking about but all the younger people just seem like fools.

Example
2000 F150. The idiots at autozone gave the guy front rotors for a 4 wheel drive pick up not his 2wd (hub rotors) and he spent days hammering the rotors trying to get them off and then told me a 100 bucks if I could get them off so I went over popped off the dust cap/cotter pin/nut and they fell on the ground. We went back there and the pothead behind the counter said "oops" (receipt said 2wd but he gave 4wd rotors because the 2wd ones were not there and he thought they would fit) huge fight broke out they said didn't have cash in the register to refund then a smashed table and a few knocked over stands then finally got cash went to Advance. He's never going back to crapozone..

I could also go on for hours with stories of people buying autozone parts that spent all day taking their car apart and they don't fit or they don't work.

I think the only reason they are in business is impatient people that only have one vehicle need the parts now now now.

I'm running a set of calipers, an Alternator,timing belt and a oil pressure sensor from them in the past 6 months. I'll wait to see if they hold up..

I think if you're in a pinch you can run autozone parts but don't expect them to last as long as quality parts. I noticed even the gold line of Durajunk parts has a core charge which means they're obviously not new even though they say they are....
Product Font Material property Rectangle Parallel

Ok last one....
2013 BMW 328xi
Duratrash water pump. It's electric and not easy to change also it cost over $400. Lasted ONE YEAR. Those engines are fully aluminum so you can't really overheat them so he had to get it towed twice (miles per tow limits) Ordered a OEM pump from FSP Euro and the pump was still not working what's going on?

The POS Crapozone pump blew a fuse and melted the power wire. Fixed that and over a year later car is daily driven. No more crapozone durajunk for him.

Just for fun I hooked up a jump Box to the Duracrap electric water pump and sure enough it caught on fire...

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I can see you're very passionate about your feeling towards AutoZone parts..but I'd just like to throw in my personal experience. Over the years I have used AutoZone many times. Usually, if as you said I was in a pinch, or couldn't find a better option elsewhere. So far, I haven't had any issues between brakes, ignition system parts, HEP, oil pressure sensor, pressurized hoses (i.e. power steering hose), axles (running a pair on my Lancer right now), etc.

Most parts for these cars are mass produced in China these days anywhere you go. I choose to use AutoZone more times than not because I know if I have an issue they'll replace the part hassle-free. I'm always cautious with aftermarket components, but I just don't understand how you've had such terrible luck with the parts you've received. Bummer deal man.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I can see you're very passionate about your feeling towards AutoZone parts..but I'd just like to throw in my personal experience. Over the years I have used AutoZone many times. Usually, if as you said I was in a pinch, or couldn't find a better option elsewhere. So far, I haven't had any issues between brakes, ignition system parts, HEP, oil pressure sensor, pressurized hoses (i.e. power steering hose), axles (running a pair on my Lancer right now), etc.

Most parts for these cars are mass produced in China these days anywhere you go. I choose to use AutoZone more times than not because I know if I have an issue they'll replace the part hassle-free. I'm always cautious with aftermarket components, but I just don't understand how you've had such terrible luck with the parts you've received. Bummer deal man.
Most of the customers I have drive their cars very hard and the autozone parts just are not up to it. Once that point is proven to them the switch to dealer parts usually eliminates the issues. I remember the C-Max towing line of brake pads we had on a 98 Suburban with a car trailer shearing off brake pads monthly. Then some GM pads and rotors lasted till it was sold a year later.

On my 89 Honda Prelude Si the thermostat would be stuck open every year like clockwork. But the Valucraft brake pads lasted 5 years. So it's not all bad just not good.

I've had better luck with rock auto standard motor products, wearever brake pads, Advance Auto Parts driveworks brand for suspension.

Overall AutoZone just doesn't have good parts but the return policy is really nice and just last night needed a wheel bearing for an 07 TL and they had it so he got it.

You can dig deep and read about the parts are mostly "rebuilt" in Mexico and a lot of the electronic parts are obviously rebranded Chinese junk.

Since I wasn't the one spending $400 for a one year water pump or the guy spending days hammering rotors because I thought they were not hub rotos I'll still go there but those people are done forever.....

·
Registered
224 Posts
Most parts for these cars are mass produced in China these days anywhere you go
This is unfortunately true. Hurts my feelings to see what's become of the automotive aftermarket. During the late-80s/early-90s I was one of four store managers at Whitlock Auto Supply in Milwaukee. Our store was one of the state's largest and busiest auto parts stores, complete with a full speed shop, reference library, and machining services. Our parts counter was a simple wooden affair with extensive banks of parts books. Computers? What were those again? We were trained by the company and by many of the big vendors to actually know what the heck we were talking about. Most of the parts were above reproach. All Bendix brake items - all USA made. Wells (Wells-Ampco back then) was headquartered in Metro Milwaukee and vigorously stood by their products. Walker and Maremont exhaust. All USA stuff. Sad to see the junk being sold today.

The demise of the good old parts stores (to me) started in the mid-90s, as AZ and others of that ilk started to flood the landscape. We used to call them "floormat and air freshener stores." They took hold and have never looked back.

I have one each of the "Big-3" within 2 miles of my home. That said, the only reason I will ever enter one of these stores is if I need something immediately and cannot wait. In most cases, a little online research and sleuthing will lead you to a better part at a better price. Have to be persistent and patient, but a wide range of OEM and older NOS parts are still out there.

My biggest problem with the current crop of parts stores isn't really the Chinese parts. Like Mudman said, they're everywhere. What really grinds my gears is how ill-informed/poorly trained/straight-up dumb most parts people are today. Understand it's not all of them, but it's so bad around here I either order online and pick up or simply hand the person a part number.

A few weeks ago I was picking up some trivial part from our local AZ. I think it was an alternator belt that I needed ASAP. Anyway, I watched one of their guys pull a P0456 code from a customer's 2006-2007 Caravan. Pretty common code - small evap/emission leak. The parts dude proudly and definitively told the customer his problem was caused by a defective vapor canister and a defective canister purge valve. A bit under 200 bucks for both, and that would fix the issue. Problem one is that dropping that kind of dough in this particular van would double its value. Problem two is while those parts may be the cause for P0456, there's no way to tell pending in-depth diagnosis (and/or a smoke test). Could be a simple vacuum leak, broken hose, gas cap seal, etc. The manager stood next to the parts guy and nodded along like a boob.

I'm over 50 now and not so combative anymore, so just shook my head and left. Not my biz if someone's craving to be mislead. But my God, how far the profession has fallen! Of course, at the close of trading today on the NYSE, AAP closed at $231.01 per share and AZO at $2000.98! Over on the NASDAQ, ORLY closed at $681.60. So what do I know? Investing in Idiocracy Auto Parts chains is great for the portfolio!

·
Registered
567 Posts
This is unfortunately true. Hurts my feelings to see what's become of the automotive aftermarket. During the late-80s/early-90s I was one of four store managers at Whitlock Auto Supply in Milwaukee. Our store was one of the state's largest and busiest auto parts stores, complete with a full speed shop, reference library, and machining services. Our parts counter was a simple wooden affair with extensive banks of parts books. Computers? What were those again? We were trained by the company and by many of the big vendors to actually know what the heck we were talking about. Most of the parts were above reproach. All Bendix brake items - all USA made. Wells (Wells-Ampco back then) was headquartered in Metro Milwaukee and vigorously stood by their products. Walker and Maremont exhaust. All USA stuff. Sad to see the junk being sold today.

The demise of the good old parts stores (to me) started in the mid-90s, as AZ and others of that ilk started to flood the landscape. We used to call them "floormat and air freshener stores." They took hold and have never looked back.

I have one each of the "Big-3" within 2 miles of my home. That said, the only reason I will ever enter one of these stores is if I need something immediately and cannot wait. In most cases, a little online research and sleuthing will lead you to a better part at a better price. Have to be persistent and patient, but a wide range of OEM and older NOS parts are still out there.

My biggest problem with the current crop of parts stores isn't really the Chinese parts. Like Mudman said, they're everywhere. What really grinds my gears is how ill-informed/poorly trained/straight-up dumb most parts people are today. Understand it's not all of them, but it's so bad around here I either order online and pick up or simply hand the person a part number.

A few weeks ago I was picking up some trivial part from our local AZ. I think it was an alternator belt that I needed ASAP. Anyway, I watched one of their guys pull a P0456 code from a customer's 2006-2007 Caravan. Pretty common code - small evap/emission leak. The parts dude proudly and definitively told the customer his problem was caused by a defective vapor canister and a defective canister purge valve. A bit under 200 bucks for both, and that would fix the issue. Problem one is that dropping that kind of dough in this particular van would double its value. Problem two is while those parts may be the cause for P0456, there's no way to tell pending in-depth diagnosis (and/or a smoke test). Could be a simple vacuum leak, broken hose, gas cap seal, etc. The manager stood next to the parts guy and nodded along like a boob.

I'm over 50 now and not so combative anymore, so just shook my head and left. Not my biz if someone's craving to be mislead. But my God, how far the profession has fallen! Of course, at the close of trading today on the NYSE, AAP closed at $231.01 per share and AZO at $2000.98! Over on the NASDAQ, ORLY closed at $681.60. So what do I know? Investing in Idiocracy Auto Parts chains is great for the portfolio!
It's not all bad, In my area there is a General Auto (NAPA) with rough wooden floors,poor lighting, about 10 feet of catalogs, and not a man under 50. They do have better parts and the people there do know what they are talking about.

Only downsides are they close at 5pm and most things have to be ordered. Mainly they do Commercial work for shops not much of a flashy storefront. They used to have a machine shop out back like most they shut it down.....

·
Registered
224 Posts
It's not all bad, In my area there is a General Auto (NAPA) with rough wooden floors,poor lighting, about 10 feet of catalogs, and not a man under 50. They do have better parts and the people there do know what they are talking about.
Awesome. Add a few Snap-On calendars and scatter some ashtrays every few feet and that's my kind of store!

Guess the rest of us have to contend with the typical parts dude with his pasty complexion, skinny jeans and man bun.

·
Super Moderator
11,905 Posts
in the 90's auto parts was an apprenticeship program..Idono if it still is ..but I'm kinda glad I didn't do more then the required school courses at the community(cough tax siphon cough) collage here..woulda drove me nuts ..like fixing anything & everything would as a mechanic

1 - 10 of 10 Posts