Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, having problems with site tonite. Went into FAQ, and it told me I did not have the right authorization to post. Also had problem getting in site, hope all can be cleared up. My question is not an emergency, but I'm wondering if you can tell me how I can fix my steering wheel. It's loose, what I mean is it moves from up and down to left and right. It doesn't feel like whole column. Just more upper part of wheel. I come to you guys, you experts who always give me the best advice. (What would I do without this site?). I've been told it's only 2 screws under horn cover, and I've been told it's more involved, have to go into column itself, need right tool to tighten up. What's the truth? I'm sorry, might be helpful if you know info. 1989 Dodge Caravan 2.5 turbo. Any help or pics will be truly appreciated as always. Guys I'm at like 325,000 and she still runs like a charm. Yeeeeaaaah!!!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
If its tilt column you will need to remove the wheel blinker switch, ignition lock, then witb a pin remover (the gm one will work) and pull the pins out and remove the outer part of the column. Then you will be able to get to the 4 bolts that hold the upper columm to the lower.

Be shure to check for cracks becase if it been loss gor to long it may have killed the column.

Fixed my 85 laser column only to have it come apart 3 days later broke in half that was not fun to drive.

Goof luck and be shure to get a expande view of the column helps alot. Sorry cant remember the part number for the pin remover . But if memory serves me the bolts are 8mm inverted torxs

·
Administrator
10,150 Posts
Yeah its an issue with the tilt column. Over time the 4 bolts mentioned that connect the upper tilt mechanism to the lower column come loose. Its a tedious process to tear down and repair.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Ya a new well used column my be easyr.

Took me 2 1/2 hours to take the darnd thing apart and fix it, only took an hour maybe to replace the column with a junk yard unit.

Op, if you do take this thing apart be carfull and slow lots of little parts to mess with

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, I think I will let someone more experienced deal with this for me. I don't think I have the patience for it and I don't want to mess it up. But, at least, now I know who really knew what they were talking about. He's got the job. LOL

·
Registered
370 Posts
Good deal man just be shur to have him look for any cracks in the aluminum when he gets it tor down, if it been loose long enuf it could have broken the column inside wont know till it apart thow.

Good luck with it, be safe and have fun.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Took to shop. They say I need new column, everythings falling apart inside. Need new column FAST. Everyday without car is a day I don't make money.
Where can I get one?
:bang head
Wait, looks like I found one from City Auto in Calumet City. Hopefully works out.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK that was fixed, now I just want some opinions on wires. Turismo, you know my van, what's a good wire to use. To others I have a 1989 Dodge Caravan 2.5 turbo, not used for racing, just everyday use and WORK. I'm trying to put a really good wire in the plugs. Are msd's to much? what's your all opinions?

·
Administrator
24,120 Posts
You do not need anything special as far as ignition wires are concerned.

I am using direct replacement Accel 7mm Wires and they have been on my car for 8 years now with no issues.
Used with a good quality distributor cap and rotor(Blue Streak or Duralast Gold) you will be set for years.
Wrap the wires in convoluted wire loom (3/8") to protect them from underhood contaminants.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/acc-4057/overview/year/1989/make/dodge/model/caravan

http://www.autozone.com/ignition-tune-up-and-routine-maintenance/distributor-cap/gold-distributor-cap/dodge/daytona-shelby/1990/4-cylinders-c-2-2l-fi-turbo/27779_0_45590/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts