Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking through some eBay sales, I noticed a Chrysler 300M 3.5 L engine roller rocker with a familiar looking lifter. Rocker arm is way different from lotus rocker but lifter looks similar to the lifter used on 2.2 lotus head.

Has anyone seen this lifter and would it fit in our 2.2 Lotus head lifters? I don't see any dimensions but at first look it looks similar. This lifter has familiar plastic POS yellow retainer (2.2 lotus are black retainers) FWD upgraded shown on picture has metal retainer shown in picture for comparison.

Chrysler 3.5 liter lifter vs 2.2 lotus lifter.jpg

Rock Auto sells individual lifter for under $6 bucks each if it fits/works

Ron

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
I just ordered a few. I will post results. The ones I ordered even show the disc.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking at where this lifter is used, Dodge used it all the way back to the '93 Dodge Intrepid with the High output 3.5 L V6 engine. Knowing how Chrysler usually dug parts up out of its production parts bin for new products there is a good chance this lifter may work.

Knowing the last production year for the 2.2 Lotus head was the '93 Dodge Daytona IROC RT is and '92 for the Dodge Spirit RT there is a good chance the lifter may fit/work.

Looks like Chrysler did some minor design changes to solve some of the know problems with the lotus design lifter.

Will have to wait for gkcooper's update when he gets his lifters in to see if they are compatible with the Lotus head lifters

Ron

·
Registered
189 Posts
I looked into the 3.5 lifter. I found that they are 12mm in diameter. The TIII lotus head lifters are 11mm. I wouldn't want to modify the rocker arm to have 3.5 lifters fit for a number of reasons.

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
I just checked tracking and I'll have the lifters today. I'll take measurements.

However, modifying the rockers to a 12mm bore is looking like something I may be interested in. Our lifters are pathetic. I spent the $$ and bought new production ones a few years ago along with modified spring retainers. Mine still tick and sound like a diesel and I don't really drive my car because of it. In the past I've owned a 3.5 V6 in a Concorde and it had a very quiet valve train with no lifter noise at all.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Did some checking on dimensions
12 mm = 0.4724
11 mm = 0.4331
The lifter is 0.0393 over size or .0196 for the circumference

The existing 16V roller rocker cylinder bore ID is .435 and the lifter OD is .434. So it looks like the 3.5 lifter won't fit.

Only possible mod would be to have machine shop hone/machine to ~ .475 bore ID on rocker. This needs to be a snug fit with proper clearance when assembled to maintain oil pressure on the lifter. The existing rocker looks to be anodized (green) on the cylinder bore ID for extra toughness. Once anodize is removed the aluminum on the rocker may wear.

I wouldn't want to trust just anybody to do this machining step. You will need a competent machine shop do the machining. The 16 rockers will be even harder to replace than the lifters if they get screwed up. Best to recheck my dimensions listed above from a rocker and lifter I have at the house.

Ron

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Did some checking on dimensions
12 mm = 0.46875
11 mm = 0.4375
The lifter is 0.03125 over size or .0156 for the circumference

The existing 16V roller rocker cylinder bore ID is .435 and the lifter OD is .434. So it looks like the 3.5 lifter won't fit.

Only possible mod would be to have machine shop hone/machine to ~ .469 bore ID on rocker. This needs to be a snug fit with proper clearance when assembled to maintain oil pressure on the lifter. The existing rocker looks to be anodized (green) on the cylinder bore ID for extra toughness. Once anodize is removed the aluminum on the rocker may wear.

I wouldn't want to trust just anybody to do this machining step. You will need a competent machine shop do the machining. The 16 rockers will be even harder to replace than the lifters if they get screwed up. Best to recheck my dimensions listed above from a rocker and lifter I have at the house.

Ron
I spent several hours last night measuring and looking at this and I concur with everything that was said, no need to say it again. I may try and ream a few rockers as a test article (I work in an aerospace prototype machine shop).

However, I may have found a much better alternative: 1995 Fiat Panda or Cinquecento (500) with the 899cc engine.

I am going to order a few and see.

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
The FIAT lifter may very well be a drop-in. Rockauto has them at <$10 ea. but shipping from Europe sucks.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Just out of curiousity, has anybody tried looking for Lotus lifters from the same era??? Stands to reason that if they designed it, they would use stuff they know works...:shrug:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It looks like direct replacement, at least 11mm dimension is correct. Not sure how you found on Rock Auto under Fiat the web site skips years 1990 though 2011. :shrug:

If it is the same lifter I wouldn't expect any better performance to the existing lifters. Did you check with the local Fiat "FCA" dealer ? FCA is the mother ship to Chrysler these days.

Ron

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
It looks like direct replacement, at least 11mm dimension is correct. Not sure how you found on Rock Auto under Fiat the web site skips years 1990 though 2011. :shrug:

If it is the same lifter I wouldn't expect any better performance to the existing lifters. Did you check with the local Fiat "FCA" dealer ? FCA is the mother ship to Chrysler these days.

Ron
You can click the flags on the top of the Rockauto catalog to add/remove cars from other parts of the world. I have contacted three different Chinese suppliers for samples and two FIAT parts sources here in the US for OE parts. FCA is a no-go for years that they did not import cars into the US, at least it appears so.

The FIAT part numbers are 7660772 for the disk and 7660771 for the lifter.

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
I am waiting on some suppliers to return my emails. And... the 3.5 V6 lifters are not going to work. It's not just the 12 mm vs 11 mm diameter, but the overall length is substantially different too. The Fiat lifters look perfect. I have a German friend that is going to try and buy some for me but right now she is in Puerto Rico. Shipping from the UK is $26 for one or sixteen from RockAuto so, I am unwilling to throw my money away for a test article right now.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts