Turbo Dodge Forums banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Spoiler... I was thinking of testing that waters on a group buy if the test articles pan out.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Mercedes-Benz 1130500380
Hydraulic Type; Height: 27mm; Outer Diameter: 11mm
2 Mercedes Benz S430 ML320 C43 Exhaust Valve Hydraulic Lifter 1130500380 New | eBay
That looks very close in design to the Lotus lifter. The only thing is the Fiat lifter has the white seal on the bottom as does the Lotus lifter . The Lotus 16V rocker has a relief inside where the white seal seats and I imagine floats up and down during the lifter compression cycle. Usually when you pull the lifter out of the lotus rocker the white seal gets ripped up or just falls apart.

The Chrysler and the Mercedes look to have a metal ring guard toward the bottom of the lifter, kinda like a piston ring, or it may be more of a lock ring to keep the lifter from falling out of the rocker. I think you are familiar with that from another thread :( .

Almost have to get picture of Chrysler 3.5 rocker or Mercedes rocker to see if it has a relief inside of the rocker lifter cavity.

Ron

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, Im new in the web so i'm introducing me, I'm Rodrigo and im from México, i got a 92 Spirit R/T DOHC (How it's called here, It's the turbo lll and i'm going to rebuild all the engine, But i have the same problem with the lifters, My engine sounds now like a diesel engine and I dont really want to expend a loot of money in a lifter kit, So i read in another post about upgrade the lifters from the 2.2/2.5 SOHC engines with the pt cruiser lifters, They can fit on this head? Or maeby lifters from a Cloud engine (2.4 Turbo)?, Thanks!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hi, Im new in the web so i'm introducing me, I'm Rodrigo and im from México, i got a 92 Spirit R/T DOHC (How it's called here, It's the turbo lll and i'm going to rebuild all the engine, But i have the same problem with the lifters, My engine sounds now like a diesel engine and I dont really want to expend a loot of money in a lifter kit, So i read in another post about upgrade the lifters from the 2.2/2.5 SOHC engines with the pt cruiser lifters, They can fit on this head? Or maeby lifters from a Cloud engine (2.4 Turbo)?, Thanks!
The 2.2 2.5 SOHC lifter won't work since the 16 V lifter is in the Rocker. The 2.2 & 2.5 L. lifter is much larger and lives in the head.

Ron

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Several weeks ago I disassembled my spare set of lifters completely and put the components into an ultrasonic cleaning tank at my work. Several of my lifters felt seized when I initially inspected them. I took lapping compound and polished the tight ones until they were slippery. I was attempting to install them when I dropped a lifter disk into my head. I have since flushed the head cavities with kerosene, dropped the pan, oil pump, and counter-balance shafts and still have not found it. I will be pulling the cylinder head this weekend.

If my cleaning and polishing job works I will be offering this as a service to anyone interested for a fair fee. Of course I cannot source the retaining rings but I have run for years without them anyway.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
rockauto only shows one single lifter available. hoping they re-stock
I picked up a couple of the Mercedes lifters that gkcooper found on eBay. I should have in a few days to see how they fit into the rockers. I will update with results.

Mercedes-Benz 1130500380
Hydraulic Type; Height: 27mm; Outer Diameter: 11mm

Ron

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
That looks very close in design to the Lotus lifter. The only thing is the Fiat lifter has the white seal on the bottom as does the Lotus lifter . The Lotus 16V rocker has a relief inside where the white seal seats and I imagine floats up and down during the lifter compression cycle. Usually when you pull the lifter out of the lotus rocker the white seal gets ripped up or just falls apart.

The Chrysler and the Mercedes look to have a metal ring guard toward the bottom of the lifter, kinda like a piston ring, or it may be more of a lock ring to keep the lifter from falling out of the rocker. I think you are familiar with that from another thread :( .

Almost have to get picture of Chrysler 3.5 rocker or Mercedes rocker to see if it has a relief inside of the rocker lifter cavity.

Ron
I've used this lifter (Mercedes listed above) for a a few years in a T3. Works very well. Only difference I was able to decipher is that at the base where it contacts the disc is a slightly larger diameter than the stock lifter and doesn't align with the dimples on the lifter disc. My suspicion is that the dimples are there to allow oil flow into the lifter. To allow that oil flow, I made two very small cuts on the lifter base where it rides the disc to allow oil flow in and out.

The lifter seems to be fine, although I think my cuts were a bit too big. At sustained high rpm in an autocross, I ended up getting a bit of clatter after the run. I believe the cuts were a bit too bit and allowed the lifter to bleed down a bit faster than it should have. Oil control in the pan is very good with a baffled, trap door pan and a windage screen, so I don't think it was an oil control issue in the pan. That, and I've autocrossed this set up multiple times in the past without any lifter noise. That being said, the Mercedes lifters have survived about 5k of daily driving, an autocross or two and were in the t3 car I ran in Hot Rod Drag Week in '13, which saw 1000 miles towing a trailer and about 12 drag passes in the 11's.

My plan had been to buy another set and tinker with the oil flow slot size but time hasn't allowed it. It's still on the list, but maybe one of you guys can tackle that sooner than I can.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Why not use the Mercedes discs? They're cheap and appear to be dimpled on both sides like the Chrysler 3.5 lifter discs (disks?)

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've used this lifter (Mercedes listed above) for a a few years in a T3. Works very well. Only difference I was able to decipher is that at the base where it contacts the disc is a slightly larger diameter than the stock lifter and doesn't align with the dimples on the lifter disc. My suspicion is that the dimples are there to allow oil flow into the lifter. To allow that oil flow, I made two very small cuts on the lifter base where it rides the disc to allow oil flow in and out.

The lifter seems to be fine, although I think my cuts were a bit too big. At sustained high rpm in an autocross, I ended up getting a bit of clatter after the run. I believe the cuts were a bit too bit and allowed the lifter to bleed down a bit faster than it should have. Oil control in the pan is very good with a baffled, trap door pan and a windage screen, so I don't think it was an oil control issue in the pan. That, and I've autocrossed this set up multiple times in the past without any lifter noise. That being said, the Mercedes lifters have survived about 5k of daily driving, an autocross or two and were in the t3 car I ran in Hot Rod Drag Week in '13, which saw 1000 miles towing a trailer and about 12 drag passes in the 11's.

My plan had been to buy another set and tinker with the oil flow slot size but time hasn't allowed it. It's still on the list, but maybe one of you guys can tackle that sooner than I can.
Holding out on us eh??
What Benz one did you use? They list an intake and exhaust as different part numbers through Chrysler. I would assume theyre slightly different in design somehow

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
They were different....I had ordered both in my research and now I can't remember which I used. I'll check when I can get out to the garage.
Received the Exhaust valve lifter P/N 113-050-03-80 today. Fits into rocker ok, I'll take some measurements tonight.

Let me know if I need to buy a Lottery ticket tonight !!!

Ron

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
This is some information on the Mercedes exhaust lifter I received. The M-B lifter fits into rocker easily. Lifter is close in design but there are some differences. The lifter pad that goes inside of the rocker may need to be changed modified since it could possibly create a hydraulic lock if the fluid can escape quick enough. This could damage cams, rockers or valves.

See attached, comments welcome.

Ron

Chrysler 3.5 liter lifter vs 2.2 lotus lifter.jpg

21 - 40 of 68 Posts