Turbo Dodge Forums banner

low boost 3 psi

4K views 33 replies 7 participants last post by  [X]treme R/T 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 88 lebaron 2.2. Currently the top boost is 3 psi.
I've installed a vacuum block and zip tied all connections.
Verified the west gate arm is connected.
Replaced all charge hoses with ones from the boneyard.
I tried connecting the west gate directly to the vacuum block and still 3 psi?
Disconnected the west gate vacuum line all together and over boosted.
Replaced west gate with boneyard version and still 3 psi.
Replaced west gate sol. with a new one from the dealer

Any ideas?

#3 ·
Which line?

#4 ·
I replaced all the vacuum lines leading to the west gate and turbo still 3 psi.

#5 ·
Turned out to be a bad gasket on the throttle body.
Turbokid thanks for the help!

#6 ·
I now get 4 psi. Is this normal for a 88 lebaron T1? Is it time to replace the turbo with a remainf?

#7 ·
If you are still getting boost then no. Is it smoking? Making any whistling noises? bearing noises like crunching noises.
If its not smoking then most likely your seals are ok.
Now take the airbox hose off of it and feel the shaft inside.
If it does not have excessive play and doesnt feel like its hitting the housing then your turbo is ok and you again have a leak somewhere.
Q

#9 · (Edited)
#11 ·
Sounds exactly what was happening with my Daytona. What it could be is that the solenoid wiring is bad as well. What I would suggest doing is going and getting NEW lines, preferably not Silicone (it will bulge under pressure) and find a good Manual Boost Controller (ebay has all sorts of good ones, I use the one that looks like a screw with a brass T fitting), and then run a line from the intake (or turbo would work, if you have the line to hook it up) to the right side of the MBC, then to the WG Actuator. If this doesn't help, then you have a bad WG Actuator. But when I ran mine that way, it solved the problem, plus I now am able to run all of the way up to 14 PSI and still have a stock computer without having to use a special Cal.

#12 ·
BTW, I don't think you ever stated what kind of Turbo, is it a Garrett or Mitsu, because if it is a Garrett, double check your swing valve, it may have some issues if it is not fully closing. (Something else that has happened to me, call it bad luck)

#14 ·
hell if it a mitsu I would just find a good garrett in the junkyard and get the right oil and coolant lines, rebuild it, pull the head have a valve job done and install the new turbo, replace all the vaccum lines and intall a mbc. put it back together and you will make more power than the mitsu at any thing over about 10psi.

the mitsu turbo just dose not breath worth a crap and is really robbing you of power. the garrett may take a sec longer to spool but you will be much happier with the power. also the mitsu will boost up to 17-18 psi with no prob but at any thing over 10-12 psi its just making hot air. you can run a garrett with the right setup at 12-14 psi and make more power than the mitsu will at 18psi. just my 2cents so do with it as you will.

#15 ·
THANKS spudwiser67

#16 ·
Replaced all the silicone vacuum lines with stock lines. This increased my boost to 8. I think they lines were collapsing

#19 ·
Replacing the vaccum lines with stock broght me up to 6 psi. I installed a manual boost controller and it broght me up to 7 psi.

#20 ·
Found out that the orifface that comes off the turbo was cracked. Replaced it with one from autozone now I'm boosting to 12 psi.

Thanks everyone for you input. I now have a true TD

#26 ·
So far so good. I was surprised with the number of PM's about the silicone vaccum line troubles I was having.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.