Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have low compression in every cylinder. we did a compression test and the #4 cylinder has nearly no compression. the rest are right around the same. head gasket or piston and rings? let me know and somewhere i can get reasonable parts from. thanks

btw. its a 2.2 shelby z engine.

·
Registered
521 Posts
if #4 is Alot lower then 1,2 and 3 but 123 are low as well then probably rings or #4 piston is the bigest problem. hard to say without seing the numbers. my old engine ran good at 70psi compresion across all 4. but works much better now with 120 on the used engine I put in

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Not very likely, but possible and easy to elimate as a possible cause= timing belt. If it's broke, or the teeth are sheared off at the crank pulley, the cam would'nt be turning & opening or closing the valves. Thus the pistons would only be compressing what little air was trapped in the cylinders where the valves' happened to be closed. Remove the dist. cap and see if the rotor is turning when the engine spins over with the starter. If it isn't turning, the belt's bad. Might be your problem, & an easy fix.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Not very likely, but possible and easy to elimate as a possible cause= timing belt. If it's broke, or the teeth are sheared off at the crank pulley, the cam would'nt be turning & opening or closing the valves. Thus the pistons would only be compressing what little air was trapped in the cylinders where the valves' happened to be closed. Remove the dist. cap and see if the rotor is turning when the engine spins over with the starter. If it isn't turning, the belt's bad. Might be your problem, & an easy fix.
that is one other thing that I never though of but could do it for sure

1 - 6 of 6 Posts