Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a totally original 89 turbo voyager... heres whats been goin on recently...... Was running kinda warm sometimes- I put the fan on a toggle switch, seemed to go away. Then temp climbed very fast once- installed 180 thermostat with 1/16 hole. Then would get hot while idling, but would slowly cool off while driving, also noticed coolant seeping from stat housing, water pump, and radiator cap, low coolant level- I purchased brand new radiator, thought old one was plugging up maybe. Now today, as soon as i started it, it idled poorly, and seemed to be running on 2 or 3 cylinders. got it moving along and it seemed to clear up. got into boost and it started missing again. Seemed to drive ok under normal driving conditions. then temp guage climbed up again. parked it and opened up coolant resovoir, coolant was fiercly bubling even though it was not hot enough to be boiling...... Am I in need of a headgasket job???

·
Administrator
24,993 Posts
White Smoke smelling sweet like Coolant, Coolant in the Oil, 1 or 2 extremly clean spark plugs are all indicators of a Headgasket issue with exhaust gases entering the cooling system or coolant entering a cylinder.

If none of those conditions are present...

To verify you have 3 options...
Radiator Pressure Tester
Cylinder Leakdown Test
Remove Cylinder Head

A compression test will not show leakage from a coolant passage.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I pressurized the radiator, and the pressure did slowly leak down..... When its running, bubbles constantly can be seen in the coolant overflow tank.

·
Administrator
24,993 Posts
You can use the pressure tester to check for exhaust gases by installing the pressure tester on the radiator but do not apply pressure.
With the tester installed start the vehicle.
Exhaust gases in the cooling system will cause pressure to build quickly as seen on the gauge.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts