Turbo Dodge Forums banner

Lowered my Spirit R/T today

2K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  turbovanman 
#1 ·
Well, its lowered. Rides real nice, looks good. I used Eibach springs and Monroes best(bleck) but they ride nice. They will do until I get a Koni set up. I also removed the spring isolators in front and back, gave me a 1/2 inch lower. I wasnt sure on that one but it doesnt make any noises or pops at all and rides fine, not like a mexican jumoing bean with chopped springs. Overall I got 2 inches maybe slightly more out of it.

#12 ·
its hard to tell from those pics, I measured 2 1/4 inches drop. I left the top isolators in and took out the bottoms. Handling characteristics increased dramatically. Who told you that you cant lower these cars correctly? Last person who told me that was my shop teacher back in high school years ago, He was wrong. Even though its lowered 2 1/4 inches, it still falls within factory alignment specs with no problem. When you lower them so much that they dont fall within specs is when you will have a problem. I also added a strut tower brace as well, and I will say it will out handle my neighbors GLH Omni now. Oh, and I also have a 3 inch exhaust going over the rear axle and it clears even though the car is lowered. There are also no squeeks or rattles either.

#13 ·
I think it would mess with the camber when you reach a certain amount of low in the front, most likely in a good way though. Aslo someone said the if the pivot on the control arm is not level to the hub (the arm is not parallel to the ground) its bad. But now that I think about that it sounds like BS. I also heard one needs an adjustable rear bar to compensate for lowering, I hope thats BS too. I think I shall cut my springs or put in spring compressors/lengtheners that checker sells if they fits in there

#16 ·
86Shelby said:
An adjustable panhard bar may do you good in the rear. Take a close look. I bet your passenger rear tire is farther towards the fender when compared to the drivers rear. that's what happened when my R/T was lowered.
That's what happens when you lower any panhard bar rear suspension car. The panhard bar hangs on an angle. When the car is lowered, the bar becomes "longer" - pushing the passenger wheel out - or actually pushing the whole rear axle out the passenger side. No matter what you do with these setups, the rear axle will also "float" when the car is moving up and down. Now, like Ray said - check the distances on either side. An adjustable solid panhard bar would be nice to bring the rear axle back centered. In my minivan especially, I can feel the rear mis-align when I'm in hard turns at highway speeds and I hit a good rise in the road to upset the rear suspension. It can be dangerous.

I've always hated this design - it's retarded - at least, performance-wise.

#17 ·
Ben said:
I agree! This is my first car with this setup. I don't like it much at all. Not cool to feel the rear end of the car move around on you going over bumps!

Back with the adjustable panahard rod... I hear CS racing sells one, how can I get in contact with them? My searches are coming up empty for contact info.

#19 ·
86Shelby said:
An adjustable panhard bar may do you good in the rear. Take a close look. I bet your passenger rear tire is farther towards the fender when compared to the drivers rear. that's what happened when my R/T was lowered.
Ditto. I have the Visionary version of the adj panhard rod on mine. He use to be a member on this board. I got all freakout about it actually because the adj rod went in as is and I drove around with it and when I noticed it. I freak'd out but once adjusted it was all good.
Also I used the ST springs and recant my comment on the thread that I didn't see a difference in the pics posted :bash: ......I kind of do now but my car is much lower with the the ST springs. More than 2 inches it appears.

#21 ·
Ben said:
In my minivan especially, I can feel the rear mis-align when I'm in hard turns at highway speeds and I hit a good rise in the road to upset the rear suspension. It can be dangerous.

What minivan would that be, as our mini's don't have panhard rods, or the 1st and 2nd gen don't?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.