Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound a bit strange, but I got a 1998 Dodge Caravan that's a "I wonder what I can make of this" projects just for the hell of it. It came with a 2.4 engine, which obviously did quite poorly with accelerating a 3500 lb vehicle through an automatic transmission (that would keep dying) so I converted it to a manual. It's pretty fun to drive now and a little unique. I plan to turbo charge it pretty soon as well.

Anyways, I was wondering on ideas how to lower it. I've stripped over 550lb of weight from the vehicle and it sits a little higher than usual. The biggest problem is that I have leaf springs in the back, which I'm unfamiliar with. Even though widely frowned upon, I plan to trim the front springs. But as far as the rear I wonder if I can take the sub frame from another vehicle and tig weld my own mounts for it. Although the van probably has a wider wheel base than most vehicles so I'm not sure how well this would work or what cars would make good candidates for this. I'd appreciate if anyone has any ideas. And I don't plan to lower it too much, just enough to return it to a normal height or maybe a little lower. I still use it for work after all, otherwise I'd just dump it at the junkyard and buy a neon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm trying to lower a 1990 van with leaf springs, so looking for similar ideas. So far I've read.
1) Make a new mount below, but that kills suspension travel.

2) Removal of 1-2 middle leafs
3) Flatten the leafs (roller?)

I know for the older vans the Daytona struts bolt in and lower it about 3" in the front. Maybe you can bolt in some neon struts on the front.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. That is a very interesting idea you posted about making those spacers but like you said unfortunately it kills suspension travel. Wouldn't removal of some of the leafs make it too soft and handle like a boat? I don't know much about leaf springs though so I could be wrong. I still wonder if I can convert this to a spring based design somehow. Maybe I should take a trip to the junkyard with a tape measure and see what comes close. I can then weld my own mounts for the subframe, and use the previous leaf spring mounts as a place for the control arms. The hardest part would probably be welding the wheel wells.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I wouldn't go as far as airbags either. I'll have to try hacking up that spring conversion idea I had. If it works out good or I get any updates I'll post them in this thread.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
yeah but its not a big deal i would rather do that then bouncing around like a honda with coilovers everywhere lol. im working on doing the same thing with mine but i think im going to try and remove a leaf or 2 to lower it... also dont cut the springs in the front just get struts from a tona cause if not it will be really bumpy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts