Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to seem off the wall, but does anyone know where any of the Dodge Turbo Interceptors are located? I've been trying to track one down for a long time with not much luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
As I recall, the car used a modified Ford/Cosworth 2.3 16V cylinder head. At the time, Chrysler and PPG were both claiming 440HP from a twin-turbo 2.2... not bad for the early mid-'80s. Of course, since then I've heard the claims spiral downward. Last I knew, the Walter P Chrysler Museum had one, the whereabouts of any other legit M4S is unknown (I think there was only one real car). Most of the cars used in "The Wraith" were rebodies that just looked like the M4S and used other structures/drivetrains.

If memory serves, the original car's PPG paint job alone cost almost $40,000. I worked for a parts store that sold PPG at the time that car showed up, and I seem to remember the rep telling me something like $37,000 just in paint.

·
Registered
2 Posts
noone have some videos of the PPG ?... i listen that in the year of film "the wraith" the ppg was a safety car of indianapolis

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
The paint on that car is an interesting topic. From what I remember reading somewhere it is actually a light brownish color and then they sprayed a candy black over it. This gave it the ability to "change colors" in different light.

If you watch The Wraith the ONLY scene where the real car is used is right at the end where Charlie Sheen hands the keys over to his brother and it is sitting outside the burger place.

The car appears black the entire movie, but if you look closly at that last scene you can see jsut a hint of the true color.

There were 2 engines built. One was the engine that was featured in Hot Rod(IIRC) that had the red valve cover, ect. That engine was mainly for display. The real engine is much more plain looking using a natural aluminum and black valve cover. There used to be some REALLY good pictures on the net of it, but I have NO idea where thye went. Once Pinacleceda(or however is was spelled) went away, a LOT of good information and such also dissapeared. Somebody *may* be able to use the "way back machine" on the web to bring it back up, but you have to know the exact web address last I checked, and links there don't work.

AFAIK there is only "1" real M4S, the one in the picture on this thread.

An interesting note: this car used an active aero system. The intake on the front of the car lead to a deflector that could be adjusted by the driver for frontal downforce. I *think* the rear wing had a similar feature.

That's all I can really remember right now....

·
Registered
147 Posts
The paint on that car is an interesting topic. From what I remember reading somewhere it is actually a light brownish color and then they sprayed a candy black over it. This gave it the ability to "change colors" in different light.

If you watch The Wraith the ONLY scene where the real car is used is right at the end where Charlie Sheen hands the keys over to his brother and it is sitting outside the burger place.

The car appears black the entire movie, but if you look closly at that last scene you can see jsut a hint of the true color.

There were 2 engines built. One was the engine that was featured in Hot Rod(IIRC) that had the red valve cover, ect. That engine was mainly for display. The real engine is much more plain looking using a natural aluminum and black valve cover. There used to be some REALLY good pictures on the net of it, but I have NO idea where thye went. Once Pinacleceda(or however is was spelled) went away, a LOT of good information and such also dissapeared. Somebody *may* be able to use the "way back machine" on the web to bring it back up, but you have to know the exact web address last I checked, and links there don't work.

AFAIK there is only "1" real M4S, the one in the picture on this thread.

An interesting note: this car used an active aero system. The intake on the front of the car lead to a deflector that could be adjusted by the driver for frontal downforce. I *think* the rear wing had a similar feature.

That's all I can really remember right now....
i should paint my glhs that color.........:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
wow u remember a lots of things... about the engine and the deflectors is very intresting... but someone knows if there are videos for example at the Chrysler museum about m4s? seems that "the wraith" is only place where see this car... incredible... :eek: maybe jake...jake... jameeeeee!!!!

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Yeah...now if I could put that talent of remembering all that trivial crap to work remembering my physics formulas I'd be OK!!! LOL If only we could convince the instructors that they let us look stuff up in the "real world" and that they should prepare us for that by letting us practice it now! ;)

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
The 1982 Chrager was redone by PPG as a pace car as well. The one I remember had gullwing doors and was very funny looking. I didn't know it had made it to public ownership...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Got any more pics of it? I love that car too.:eek:

I wasn't aware you had to have at least 5 posts to do a link. I also have a lot of photos of the prop car in restoration. I'm helping the the guy who is rebuilding it at http://www.thewraithcar.com You can see more restoration photos there, and join in on a discussion board about the car and the movie.

If anyone has questions on the restoration project, or wants more photos, let me know.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Post ANY and ALL photos if you can..or just make a Photobucket account and link to it..higher res if possible! :thumb:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've got the initial page up and going. The photos you see of the car in restoration were taken a little over two years ago. There's been a lot done since then, but i don't have that material online yet. Some of you may ask about why there are Corvette wheels on there, etc. When the current owner found the car, it was stripped and the original wheels were gone. That's all the previous owner had to fit it.

Any other questions, let me know. Enjoy.

Pictures by wraithphotos - Photobucket

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Thanks for sharing!

I've noticed some changes the car seems to have gone through over time:

#1 is obviously the color. It clearly was NOT the color it is now in the test video. I also think that it got another change in hue after some other point in time becuase the graphics on it seem to have also changed over time.

#2 is the windsheild. In the video it is held in like what you would find on almost any race car, however the way it sits now it is trimmed like a preproduction car. Also it is tinted. From what I remember the glass is from a Lamborghini, which kind of makes sense becuase at that time Chrysler had a stake in that company.

#3 the engine. There seems to be at least two different engines that have been in that car. One of them is the famous one that was pictured in a magazine and had a red valve cover on it. That same engine can be seen in the test video, and it is more complete than it was in the magazine. As it was pictured in the magazine there was no way it could have ran! The engine that is in the car currently has a fairly bland looking valve cover on it, and it seems to have been that way for some time.

It's interesting to note that the engine in the test video used a 4-bolt crank pulley! I think it's interesting to note they were making that kind of power on a non-CB!

#4 is the interior. I realize that it is a one-off car and that it went through a lot of testing and such, but the shifter looks completely different in the test video than it now does. Not just becuase it is missing the boot, it looks longer by a large margine!

Anyways, this car is one of my iconic cars and I'm obsessed with getting a hold of every tid bit of information I can about it! If there is a way I can pull it off I WILL have a copy of this car at some point in my life! :D :thumb:

·
Registered
62 Posts
We took the M4S to it's first public appearance this weekend. Local Mopar friends have been begging to bring it out, even though it's not complete. We hit the Wichita Mopar meet, despite it raining all morning. The photos you'll see are of the car in primer. There should be a few shots of the interior, also not quite done. The engine you'll see is a supercharged pontiac (i know... i know...) but will be replaced by a 2.2 Cosworth if Lyle can score one with a recent connection he made.

I also have some video but those won't be posted until later this week.

Pictures by wraithphotos - Photobucket

www.thewraithcar.com

1 - 20 of 100 Posts