Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is anyone familiar with the laws in MA about exhaust? is it really ANY modifications to the exhaust that are illegal? or just if its louder? any place i can look this stuff up? a real place. im always fidning 389473984 different opinions on the internet. and if pre-OBDII cars fall under this law or not? :D

thanks,
nick

· Helping when I can
1,327 Posts
Yup,

Any modification to an exhaust system From the cat forward on a road vehicle is a violation of EPA regulations unless the modified part is approved for use on that vehicle. Thats why you only see "cat-back" systems for sale. Not 'cause manufacturers are too lazy to design a whole system.:rolleyes:
Ever see that sticker that says C.A.R.B E.O.#XXXXXX on headers and stuff? Thats 50-STATE legal stuff. California Air Resources Board Executive Order #XXXXXX
Heck, Do FWDP or TU downpipes have the approval? I dunno. if not, then thats enough to put you in violation. The Gestapo will make you buy a DP from AutoZone.:bang head

The real question is: does your state check that stuff?
Wisconsin is getting new emission laws July 1st:woot woot:

· Registered
146 Posts
i run 2.5" froim turbo back with a free flow cat to a 9x4" tip with no muffler.

legally you cannot modify a stock system if you run it on a main road.

i pass inspect every time.

if a cop was an ass and knew you had no muffler he could prolly be a prick if he was positive it came with one.. but what cop knows a TD specs from 17 years ago?? when in 04 there are turbo cars with no mufflers.

also if its hacked u have a worse chance of getting porked.

my car isnt that loud when im not on it. if i just putter around u cant tell. turbo eats up alot of of the noise. its the time before it spools up and then when its not really spooling that u get noise. under boost its quiet. hard decel mine is NASTY loud and popping. i dont do that around the popo's

plus neon srt4 has no mufflers stock. so thats another theory to defend myself.

no cop around here even knows what a daytona is and if im ever asked id say the exhaust is built to factory specs. like a neon srt4. i know they look for funny welds around the cat etc..they look for hax! keep ya shit tight get a good exhaust guy dont be a "look at me with my loud exhaust" and u wont have a problem" i live near lakeville mass and they will pull u over for ANYTHING -they get behind u they run ya plate -u fart in traffic they will pull u over to smell it.etc etc. and i have no issues at all. ever.

· Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah i asked a cop today if the laws apply to pre-OBDII cars... he didnt know what i was talking about so he said "i have no idea" so im just gonna run it with full 3" and if i get pulled over, i'll say it doesnt apply to pre-OBDII cars.

· Premium Member
484 Posts
I've gotten my balls busted about my Neon. I've got a stock downpipe, stock cat, and a Borla cat-back system. Both times were over a year and a half ago. One of the two times, I asked the officer, as nicely as I humanly could, if there was somewhere I could read the law in black and white. Of course, being an asshole cop, he got all huffy with me and ran back to his car. He brought out a little book that he had open to Mass General Law Chapter 90 Section 16. Here is the text of that law:

M.G.L. - Chapter 90, Section 16

It keeps on saying "modify". It says nothing about "replacing". No, you can't remove baffles from your muffler. No, you can't drill holes in it. No, you can't install a cutout on a street-legal car. No, you can't by any means defeat any function of the catalytic converter. It says nothing about replacing your exhaust system with a better performing and/or longer lasting system. This law is as foggy as they get. What is quite clear is that the people that write these laws would probably look at an O2 sensor and think it was a spark plug. Completely brainless about anything to do with what they're writing laws about.

I've had friends get tickets for their exhausts and not a single one has held up in court. Both times for me, it was speeding, then they'd pull a "hey, how bout that exhaust?" during the citation. They're all full of it and know nothing.

If your exhaust is REALLY loud, then you're asking for it, no matter what. As far as legality, basically don't touch the cat.

· Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya i was thinking about it today, im goign to cut and re-weld my exhaust so i can put a cat in it. then as Blown3.8 said, "plus neon srt4 has no mufflers stock. so thats another theory to defend myself." i'll just say that's the way dodge put out the options on the old turbo cars and the srt4's just all came like that. and since i'll have a glasspack, i'll say my exhaust actually has more sound reduction than the factory one did. :thumb: i think we all have dodge on our side of this law since they came out with the srt-4.

· Registered
419 Posts
I got pulled over near holyoke ma. on 91 last year in my shadow. 3" all the way cat and ultraflo.
Cop said it was modified from stock and was going to ticket me. I told him its registered in vermont. we argued the fact for a while and he let me go saying that if he sees the car again he will ticket me. (other words,he had nothing on me).

I suppose if i went by him in a 440 cuda with a dual 3" system with no cats that would be ok.

· Helping when I can
1,327 Posts
I don't think I'm gonna be visiting Massachusetts any time soon :)

· Registered
2,728 Posts
yeah, MA and CA are possibly the worst states when it comes to "car enthusiasts". In MA, from what ive seen, its all the rich snobs that want the ricers cracked down on, but those of us that do it right and arnt idiots are getting screwed as well. I work in Agawam MA, so i guess im tempting fate a little each time. Im probably going to get a 3" exhaust this summer if i can afford it, im going to keep the cat, and get a decent muffler, something not too lond, but not factory quiet either.

MA cops are also usually assholes. in Agawam, the chief of police and 90% of the cops are all italian, so if you dont know "Uncle Tony" you get screwed...and if you are italian or know someone, you get away with murder

· Registered
289 Posts
^For Hood, I'd guess ;) Or not.. I used to work there.

But I live in Agawam and have found that it really depends on the towns you travel through regularly. Chicopee is bad out here and so is Hampden, probably because they really have nothing better to do than pull over "suspect" cars. I got pulled over once in my old Daytona Shelby because there was a car "like it" in the area causing problems. They were probably looking for an RX-7 or something.

Oh well.

· Registered
2,728 Posts
Naw, i work for a landscaping company. Anyways, i was going to some Karate classes in East Longmeadow in a beatup geo, and id get followed for a couple blocks every couple times. guess the rich snobs dont want "lesser" cars driving through "their" neighborhood lol

· Registered
156 Posts
yeah, MA and CA are possibly the worst states when it comes to "car enthusiasts". In MA, from what ive seen, its all the rich snobs that want the ricers cracked down on, but those of us that do it right and arnt idiots are getting screwed as well. I work in Agawam MA, so i guess im tempting fate a little each time. Im probably going to get a 3" exhaust this summer if i can afford it, im going to keep the cat, and get a decent muffler, something not too lond, but not factory quiet either.

MA cops are also usually assholes. in Agawam, the chief of police and 90% of the cops are all italian, so if you dont know "Uncle Tony" you get screwed...and if you are italian or know someone, you get away with murder
That's weird, I was born in Springfield and my dad use to be in the street racing scene. He use to buy most of his carburator parts @ the X, which is Sumner Ave and Roosevelt. I grew up half my life in Forest Park.... I miss Ma....

· Mr. Moderator
8,952 Posts
I live in Kansas!
There inspection is llook at the car, match the vins up, right model, make year etc., make sure the lights and brakes work, runs decently and doesn't leak all over the place and you are good to go!
They dont even look at the exhaust nor do I think they care!
NO EMISSIONS TESTING!!!!!
AWWW gotta love it

· Registered
289 Posts
That's weird, I was born in Springfield and my dad use to be in the street racing scene. He use to buy most of his carburator parts @ the X, which is Sumner Ave and Roosevelt. I grew up half my life in Forest Park.... I miss Ma....
Yikes. I drive through the X every day on my way to work and talk about GHETTO... It's not so bad in the morning, but at night people just walk across the street like they own it, then there's the big bass in rattling Honda trunks, etc etc.

Be glad you escaped it.

· Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
springfield is a really nice place now during the day. they did a good job with the new crosswalks, storefronts, etc. looks real good. but at night..... it scares me a little... i wont drive the shadow in springfield. if i have to go, i drive the jeep, take the top and doors off, and blast country music. :thumb:

· Registered
156 Posts
Yikes. I drive through the X every day on my way to work and talk about GHETTO... It's not so bad in the morning, but at night people just walk across the street like they own it, then there's the big bass in rattling Honda trunks, etc etc.

Be glad you escaped it.
Wow, Forest Park was the place to live in the early 70's, I went to George Washington Elem and my older sister went to Forest Park Junior High! Never thought I would here someone call it a Ghetto! It was really beautiful back then...Last time is was there was 2000!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.