Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is there no gasket between the turbo and the exhaust manifold? Would it be better with one in there, and if so what type of gasket material should I use.
I have also heard of using wheel bearing grease in there. Someone else told me to use the copper silicone gasket sealer. Can this stuff take the heat? What is my best option here?

· Registered
1,476 Posts
Re: why no gasket??

small leaks there are better than having a gasket blow out. interestingly enough, ford chose to put a gasket there, but not one between the manifold and the head.

· Premium Member
9,142 Posts

Why is there no gasket between the turbo and the exhaust manifold? Would it be better with one in there, and if so what type of gasket material should I use.
I have also heard of using wheel bearing grease in there. Someone else told me to use the copper silicone gasket sealer. Can this stuff take the heat? What is my best option here?
I nominate this as the most asked ?? in the "Turbo" forum !

this topic has been covered At Length - I know cuz I have posted on the topic numerous times..

<Darth Vader voice>
"Use the 'Search' function, Luke"
</Darth Vader voice>

· Registered
709 Posts

I nominate this as the most asked ?? in the "Turbo" forum !

this topic has been covered At Length - I know cuz I have posted on the topic numerous times..

yup! i've asked this question before lol
it didnt make sense to me either. i used a steel gasket for a regular square garrett flange and i just trimmed one corner and made a new hole. i'm 99.7% positive that's where im getting a leak though. the surface was REALLY rough and i didnt have it resurfaced. i just used a grinder and wiz-wheel but it didnt even come close.
my advice: DEFINATELY go get them resurfaced. then a small amount of wheel bearing grease:thumb:

· Registered
1,001 Posts

How hard IS this? THERE IS NO NEED FOR A GASKET BETWEEN THE MANIFOLD & TURBO. IF A GASKET IS USED IT'S ALMOST GUARANTEED TO LEAK. DON'T USE A GASKET THERE. :bash: They are flat machined mating surfaces. Gaskets, when used on these surfaces, will only cause problems. If these surfaces are rough upon inspection, don't be lazy or a cheap ass and think it'll be ok. GET THEM RESURFACED. If the surfaces are only somewhat questionable, apply a layer of wheel bearing grease between them. The grease will burn, leaving a hard carbon seal between the turbo & manifold. Use caution around the hole, so you don't end up with a giant gob of it on your turbine.

If you didn't feel like reading my entire post/rant and decided to skip to the end, here's a summary:
Always use a gasket between the manifold & turbo.

· Helping when I can
1,327 Posts

I think the only reason you ever see turbo gaskets for sale:

Ricers buy them on Ebay for $o.o1 + $75.00 shipping :p

· Registered
709 Posts

the only reason i did it with a gasket and a crazy rough surface was cuz when i was putting the car together, i didnt know ANYTHING about turbo cars. i knew dirtbikes and lawnmowers lol but now im def kicking myself for the stupid stuff i did. well, i'll know next time i guess.

i agree. this should be a sticky. simply labeled TURBO GASKET and when you open it, just write THERE ISNT ONE! haha

· Premium Member
9,142 Posts

I was able to resurface my flange surfaces on a floor mounted belt/disc sander

took some patience and about 45 minutes but got both surfaces flat; exh mani was at least 20-30 thou warped :bigeyes:

· Registered
13,677 Posts

I'll make it a sticky:thumb:

Have the exhaust manifold and turbine housing resurfaced, then apply wheel bearing grease. Not a big mess of it, more the better isn't in this case.

Someone should make a thread with all the things not to do with a TI/TII/TIV engine. Like... Use a Mopar o2 sensor, BOSCH won't last long. A wideband should be a factory standard, but it isn't, buy one. Unplug the coolant temp sensor when timing your TD. And so on:p

· Registered
600 Posts
WTF theres no gasket between the head and ex manifold? Thats the first damn time i heard of that in ANY car. Most turbo cars at least use a mls or single metal layer gasket between the mani and head!!!!! Least most a material type gasket. NOOOO gasket!!! is just rediculous In my own opinion.

· Registered
264 Posts
Chrysler hasn't used an exh manifold gskt on any of there 318 engines that I kow of. I've had engines back to 1972 with no gasket. I've been working at a dodge dealer since 1990, and none of the 5.2 or 5.9's have ever had one.

· Premium Member
9,142 Posts
WTF theres no gasket between the head and ex manifold? Thats the first damn time i heard of that in ANY car. Most turbo cars at least use a mls or single metal layer gasket between the mani and head!!!!! Least most a material type gasket. NOOOO gasket!!! is just rediculous In my own opinion.
relax and re-read the thread Title

the subject is "Manifold/Turbo gasket", not "Manifold/Head gasket"

there is in fact a (common) gasket between the intake / exhaust manifold and the head

· Registered
600 Posts
OHHH lol i misread, wel i was calm either way, just responded in shock lol. Although :D i havent personally heard of no gasket there either from the factory lol. However i dont know as much on that as the other gasket i was speaking of before, but mitsu has always used gaskets there, i can say that. It is a metal shim gasket.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.