Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...You can call me whatever you want :p

But I hate standards...I bought the car cuz of well...the turbo..and I like Dodges. And I heard they were pretty reliable. . . kept in the right hands anyway. Anyway I have an A555 Tranny I would imagine. (thats what Im told) The guy who sold me the car only told me one thing...GETRAG He said that was all I needed to know ..but I suck at research..and didn't come up with much.
anyways ...I want to switch to auto on my 88 Shelby Z 2.2 Carb'd

What would I need from the boneyard...

also what Trans? I hear there are several different types...and Shift Kits now???:eek::)

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Find a 2.2/2.5 turbo automatic Dodge and use the transmission from that. N/A automatics aren't as strong. Use the automatic console from any 2nd gen Daytona. Almost every console shifted auto TD shifter and cable would work. Shadow, Spirit, Daytona, Lebaron, they would all work. Remove clutch pedal/clutch cable and you are basically all done. If you want to go swapping in an automatic steering column for the shifter/key lock you could do that too. It would be pretty cool to see a T2/auto Shelby since they were all manuals.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh wow...that I wasnt aware of :p (Them being all manuals..) and you just made that sound really damn easy...Thanks a lot my friend....Now I just have to get rid of this damn Standard Transmission.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Come on. Leave the clutch pedal in there and confuse the hell out of people. Or rig the pedal to a pop up hood scoop.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
As a plus you could sell your A555 on this site to make some $ for the automatic swap :thumb:

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Come on. Leave the clutch pedal in there and confuse the hell out of people. Or rig the pedal to a pop up hood scoop.
Now that would be funny! I can see it now, some ricer pulls up...reving his engine and looking directly at you. You give his the "whatever" eye roll and decide to play along...right before the light turns green you punch the "clutch" pedal and up pops a massive hood scoop! Not only would you win the race, but you'd confuse everyone you race haha :thumb:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have two comments. I've done the MTX to ATX swap 3 times. Not sorry I did.

My son swapped the ATX in his van for an MTX. He left the colums shifter in the van. Talk about confusing, At a light, he would shift it at the same time he revved it up, people though it was crazy until he left them at the light.

BTW, don't forget to grab the transmission mount on the drivers side from your donor car. Thet are different from the MTX I belleive and the L body ones are slightly different as well. Also, you may want to grab the throttle body, and the kickdown cable. The throttle body has an extra slot for the kickdown cable on the ATX.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks I will have to check around local JYs before I commit to the swap. but it's okay if I leave all the pedals right? I don't really like the big brake pedals...and plus MTX Pedals means cooler Pedal covers :p

·
Registered
137 Posts
Cut a panel out of the hood. Add a hinge and sides to the panel. Add a couple small brackets to hood and panel/scoop with a return spring. Reroute clutch cable to brackets. Done.

I just had another awesome thought. I hate the foot e-brake in my MTX minivan. I could redo my center console with a hand brake and use my e-brake pedal for a scoop. Though making an airbox for that would be a bitch.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't seem to find a place that sells Remanned or Rebuilt A413s seeing as that seems to be the only ATX that will work with this swap..

also anyone interested in an A555 :p

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but is there not also a neutral safety switch, engine computer readings, and a few wiring modifications that would have to be done to get it to work properly. I know that they guys that go from auto to man, have to modify their wiring harness to get the wiring for the manual trans to work, as well as the computer will cause the car to almost die every time they start to slow down. Which I would think that there would have to be a few modifications to get everything to work properly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts